cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

hopkins
Adept II

Re: Low performance RX Vega64 In Horizon Zero Dawn

A would not compare the RTX 3090 directly to the 2080Ti because I am confident they  will release an RTX 3080Ti between the two. If I look at the RTX 3090 as a "little Titan" then the price immediately does not feel that high anymore.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Navi has an HBM capable memory controller - at least in this Navi GPU:
AMD Unveils Radeon Pro 5600M: Navi, HBM2, Apple-Exclusive - ExtremeTech 
AMD Announces Radeon Pro 5600M Navi GPU with HBM2 - Inside Apple's MacBook Pro 16" 

I am not sure if it supports HBCC - I will check.

0 Likes
hopkins
Adept II

You are right, thank you for the correction! This is good news as we will get those high memory bandwidths which is also benificial for the Raytracing performance. I am curious though what kind of custom computing units will AMD build into the Navi to counter the RT cores and tensa cores of Nvidia Ampere.

colesdav
MVP

Yes sure - perhaps that comparison for the RTX3090 is unfair - perhaps they will release an RTX3080 Ti later on.
I think Big Navi may be in serious trouble versus what Nvidia have just launched but AMD are the only ones that know that for sure.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

I think AMD will be forced to use HBM2e to increase memory bandwidth and reduce latency into the RDNA2 GPU and increase performance now. I think HBM2e & memory controller is also lower power requirement than for GDDR6. 
I think Big Navi might increase the amount of "on chip" memory cache as well. 
HBCC might make a comeback.

It will be interesting to see AMD response to what Nvidia just launched.

hopkins
Adept II

Well the AMD Keynote has been announced, the new Navi cards are going to be unveiled October 28. It remains to be seen what price to performance AMD brings to the table but personally I think it is a too late release date. Nvidia cards are just stealing the show and the price of new Xbox consoles has been unveiled as well. Many people including me don't wanna wait because as we know it usually can take 1 extra month until you can get your hands on an AMD GPU.

colesdav
MVP

Zen3 is much more important.
Even if AMD launched RDNA2 Big Navi tomorrow I would not buy it until the drivers work.
They already missed the chance to sell them for Thanksgiving / Christmas.

hopkins
Adept II

I don't need Zen 3 that much because I am still on my 3 years old B350 chipset which is not supported by Zen 3 anyways so I needed to upgrade my motherboard also which I won't do right now. But I needed maybe a slightly better GPU for my 3440x1440 @100Hz monitor with next gen features as the consoles are also around the corner...so I could not be excited more about the new GPUs than new CPU. Although I understand the excitement from brand new PC builders because for them the Zen 3 will be the best bang for the buck when it comes to CPU. I told my friend also that he should wait for ZEN 3 because that will be the real deal. And at the same time I offered him my Vega 56 at very reasonable price beause he is considering replacing his 7 years old 4th gen Intel setup.

colesdav
MVP

Sure I understand that some people need a good GPU for 4K gaming.
AMD needed to have Big Navi released in March 2020 to stand a chance of having AIB GPU, VBIOS and ~ working drivers in time for Thanksgiving / Christmas market though, based on past performance.

0 Likes
radeoforce
Adept I

After patch 1.03 vega has better performance 

Critical places with drops to 32 fps, became 53 fps. But this game have a big problem with the VRAM management
https://i.imgur.com/ZLbflmm.jpg 
https://i.imgur.com/vj3q9J9.jpg 
https://i.imgur.com/gsktJeo.jpg 

https://i.imgur.com/hjpyGGF.jpg 

0 Likes