Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

eylonst
Adept I

Low performance and driver crashes with 6900 XT

Hello guys,
About 4 months ago I bought the RADEON XR 6900 XT graphics card.
I have windows 11 OS updated to the latest and 32GB ram. I have a 1440p 240hz HP omen screen.

My first problem is that I'm not getting the desired FPS nearly in any game I launch. For instance, League of Legends (which is not so consuming) is giving me 80-200 fps, with no stability, in medium settings.

My second problem is that some days the driver crashes every 15 minutes or so.
I bought this graphics card to get some more fps and quality in my gaming time and right now I'm pretty disappointed in the overall experience .

I was trying to check for a bottleneck but did not find anything useful.

Please share your insights, thank you.

0 Likes
3 Solutions
Thomasdk1405
Adept III

Hi

you have so many knobs and handles to turn on and off in both windows and Adrenalin. I see that LoL is an old game so could be the ULPS that is messing with you so that is a first - disable ULPS ! Next you need to make sure that your GFX card cannot go to 500 mhz ! Normally this is set from 500 - 2500 approx.

Go to performance - push the custom button and raise the min freq. to around 2100 / 2200 mhz and max what ever it has it for so range is then 2100 - 2500 mhz and not 500 mhz. Some games can fool driver / card to throttle down to 500 mhz and that give you crap performance !

Next up is cpu. Windows really like to park the cores and not give you full throttle in some games - several unpark tools is out - go to bitsum.com and download parkcontrol and process laso - 2 really great products. Parkcontrol - here I have unparked all cpu's. Laso is great for change of cpu / proces prioritation. You can google those. Why have a great computer if you are limited in windows ?

If you have memory problems - like low 8 gb or 16 gb (edit: just saw you have 32gb - then you do not need this tool - you have all the mem you need) you could suffer from the std. by list memory - here I use ISLC from wagnardsoft.com - deletes the std.by memory when it hits the limits you have set it for. Some games it is good tool others not - try and see. I do not use it for all games.

But the above disable ULPS and raise min. clock is the key here ! You need to do this whenever you download new driver updates !

I have same card and 3800 x cpu and I was in same boat as you when I started - and now I have the best and most fluid gameplay I ever had.

Last note - if you came from Nvidia - make sure you have wiped out all driver leftovers from Nvidia - this was my first mistake ! Adrenalin is a powerful tool - take it slow and dont mess around here until you know what is up and down - my second mistake - had to revert to factory settings. Rest assured there is a solution for you !

View solution in original post

CPU would be bottlenecking your GPU

Slow RAM bottlenecking your CPU

..those for starters I suppose would be , at least in part, part of your performance issue

Make sure your BIOS is up to date

Make sure you are running separate power cables from your power supply to each power input on your GPU

2 sticks of RAM should be installed in slots A2/B2 (2nd and 4th slots away from the CPU socket)

Check your CPU/GPU temps

Make sure you have the latest AM4 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com

Are you running any cable extenders INSIDE your case? and/or a PCIe riser cable?

Reseat everything .. CPU, GPU , power connectors, sata cables .. etc

Check your system drive's health and how full it is

Run stress tests on your RAM to make sure it's stable

Check your systems Event Viewer for logged system errors that might pin point as to what is causing your crashes

IF you are overclocking anything .. don't .. and then see if issues persist

ThreeDee PC specs

schldskjoirz
Adept III

I don't mean to be mean, but when people upgrade their machines, they tend to forget to check for bottlenecks and potentially waste money. Then they wonder why such low fps even with a powerful graphics card. After all, I was one of them myself, until I read a post that started with almost the same words

3600X/6900XT CPU/GPU bottleneck at certain resolutions:

1080p = ~47%
1440p = ~34%
3440×1440 ultra wide = ~24%
2160p = ~7%

So in your case, you get ~66% of the performance out of the graphics card. On top of that, you have the coding of the game, plus any losses caused by RAM and other components. Not forgetting the Radeon hardware and software trickery, such as the ULPS already mentioned.

A little teaser: 5900X/6900XT with 1440p monitor = 0% bottleneck.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
• 5900X • 6900XT • X570 • NH-D15S • 16Gb@3600Mhz • 1000W • 65" TV (HDMI) • Sony 5.1 audio (toslink)

17 Replies
blazek
Volunteer Moderator

For the instability in games, which power settings do you have set? (AMD balanced, ultimate performance, power saver, etc)

Can you specify the driver crash issue, does the Radeon settings driver crash? in-game crash? have you tried doing a completely clean install after running DDU? (Display Driver Uninstaller)

eylonst
Adept I

Hey, thanks for fast reply.

I did clean uninstall at least 3 times with 3 different versions of AMD drivers. @blazek

my power settings are set to gaming profile.

The driver can crash without any game running in the background, and because of that I’ve never sent a report..

0 Likes
eylonst
Adept I

Anyone else guys ?

0 Likes

Good day!

Try doing the following:

Press Win + R to open the Run application.
Type regedit into the text field and press Enter. You will need administrator rights to make changes to the Windows registry.
In the registry, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Avalon.Graphics using the navigation bar on the left.
Here, right-click on an empty space in the right pane and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
Name the entry DisableHWAcceleration.
Now double click on the record you just created and enter 1 in the Value data field.
Click the OK button.
Exit Registry Editor and restart your computer.

If after this method you are still getting a black screen error, then the problem is probably hardware, so you need to enable hardware acceleration again by changing the data value in the DisableHWAcceleration entry to 0.

0 Likes

Okay done, I did read that the problem is known by AMD on the patch notes.
"

• During video playback and window switching, an intermittent driver timeout or black screen may occur on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs using some 240Hz refresh rate displays or high refresh rate primary display plus low refresh rate secondary display configurations.

Do you have any insights about the FPS cap and instability?
I'd be more accurate, do you think the CPU is too weak ?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Maybe if you read and supply the 'Info.......required' 'sticky', someone may be able to offer relevant suggestions.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

CPU : Amd Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor, 3800Mhz, 6 Cores
GPU : Amd Radeon RX 6900 XT
NVMe : Kingston SA2000M81000G
RAM : DDR4-2400 16GB X 2
Motherboard : ASRock X570 Pro4
PSU : Antee Neo Eco 850 GOLD 850W
Monitor : HP Omen 27" Gaming Monitor 1440P
Drivers: AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition Version 22.11.1

Thank you.

0 Likes

Good day!

Good day!

With recent developments with the latest released AMD chipset drivers, namely broken power plans for AMD 3000 series processors, I have some thoughts. You could try custom power plans, you can get them here.

CPU would be bottlenecking your GPU

Slow RAM bottlenecking your CPU

..those for starters I suppose would be , at least in part, part of your performance issue

Make sure your BIOS is up to date

Make sure you are running separate power cables from your power supply to each power input on your GPU

2 sticks of RAM should be installed in slots A2/B2 (2nd and 4th slots away from the CPU socket)

Check your CPU/GPU temps

Make sure you have the latest AM4 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com

Are you running any cable extenders INSIDE your case? and/or a PCIe riser cable?

Reseat everything .. CPU, GPU , power connectors, sata cables .. etc

Check your system drive's health and how full it is

Run stress tests on your RAM to make sure it's stable

Check your systems Event Viewer for logged system errors that might pin point as to what is causing your crashes

IF you are overclocking anything .. don't .. and then see if issues persist

ThreeDee PC specs
Thomasdk1405
Adept III

Hi

you have so many knobs and handles to turn on and off in both windows and Adrenalin. I see that LoL is an old game so could be the ULPS that is messing with you so that is a first - disable ULPS ! Next you need to make sure that your GFX card cannot go to 500 mhz ! Normally this is set from 500 - 2500 approx.

Go to performance - push the custom button and raise the min freq. to around 2100 / 2200 mhz and max what ever it has it for so range is then 2100 - 2500 mhz and not 500 mhz. Some games can fool driver / card to throttle down to 500 mhz and that give you crap performance !

Next up is cpu. Windows really like to park the cores and not give you full throttle in some games - several unpark tools is out - go to bitsum.com and download parkcontrol and process laso - 2 really great products. Parkcontrol - here I have unparked all cpu's. Laso is great for change of cpu / proces prioritation. You can google those. Why have a great computer if you are limited in windows ?

If you have memory problems - like low 8 gb or 16 gb (edit: just saw you have 32gb - then you do not need this tool - you have all the mem you need) you could suffer from the std. by list memory - here I use ISLC from wagnardsoft.com - deletes the std.by memory when it hits the limits you have set it for. Some games it is good tool others not - try and see. I do not use it for all games.

But the above disable ULPS and raise min. clock is the key here ! You need to do this whenever you download new driver updates !

I have same card and 3800 x cpu and I was in same boat as you when I started - and now I have the best and most fluid gameplay I ever had.

Last note - if you came from Nvidia - make sure you have wiped out all driver leftovers from Nvidia - this was my first mistake ! Adrenalin is a powerful tool - take it slow and dont mess around here until you know what is up and down - my second mistake - had to revert to factory settings. Rest assured there is a solution for you !

eylonst
Adept I

Thank you guys, going to try all of it.

schldskjoirz
Adept III

I don't mean to be mean, but when people upgrade their machines, they tend to forget to check for bottlenecks and potentially waste money. Then they wonder why such low fps even with a powerful graphics card. After all, I was one of them myself, until I read a post that started with almost the same words

3600X/6900XT CPU/GPU bottleneck at certain resolutions:

1080p = ~47%
1440p = ~34%
3440×1440 ultra wide = ~24%
2160p = ~7%

So in your case, you get ~66% of the performance out of the graphics card. On top of that, you have the coding of the game, plus any losses caused by RAM and other components. Not forgetting the Radeon hardware and software trickery, such as the ULPS already mentioned.

A little teaser: 5900X/6900XT with 1440p monitor = 0% bottleneck.

• 5900X • 6900XT • X570 • NH-D15S • 16Gb@3600Mhz • 1000W • 65" TV (HDMI) • Sony 5.1 audio (toslink)

I second this lol!!!

Adam J Martin
eylonst
Adept I

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - BOX How is this CPU for my build? According to my price limit

0 Likes

~18% That's quite small cpu bottleneck, so it's an OK purchase. Although it's suggested to aim for 5% or less. It is also worth noting that any information of bottlenecks can be refential, so if you want as little of it as possible, some study is needed from reviews and tests, and also experience-based information.

0 Likes

In which site you find this info ? I have seen its much less bottleneck

0 Likes

I replied you on sunday but myt comment is deleted. Who knows why. Links not allowed? Google Bottleneck Calculator. There are various of sites to calculate it.