Adept I

Low FPS (55-65 on LOW) MSI R9 390 | Battlefield 1 | Please Help

SPECS:

MSI r9 390

i7 4770 @ 4.0ghz

12GB DDR3 RAM

120SSD

Asus Xonar DX Audio card

I'm really struggling to get a smooth experience on this game. On 64 player matches, I'm dipping frequently and staying around 50-55 FPS in situations. It will fluctuate back up to 90-100FPS if there is less to render, but I cannot get 100FPS constant which is what I thought would be easy enough with an R9 390 on ALL low settings.

I'm at 100% rendering, DX11 and all LOW settings and there something is seriously wrong with this card I'm feeling. I should be seeing that type of FPS on ULTRA not LOW. I don't know what the issue is.

0 Likes
7 Replies

Re: Low FPS (55-65 on LOW) MSI R9 390 | Battlefield 1 | Please Help

But are you able to match their numbers in single player? If you are, then you know it's not a problem with your system, it's either your internet or their server.

Battlefield 1 DX12 Benchmarks - Three Resolutions Tested on Dozen Video Cards - Legit ReviewsBattlef...

http://www.legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/bf1-1920.jpg

clemrm
Adept I

Hello,

Yes, I was able to match the numbers. On the first Italian mission I was averaging in the 90's, with an occasional drop to low 80's and as high as 100-105.

My concern is that SP missions seem less intensive than MP. The maps in MP are larger, there's more effects going on and more dynamic weather ect. compared to SP it seems. My internet and ping are solid (I have a 300 down 20 up package) and I don't think it's EA servers as I've seen others doing better than me FPS wise when I compare.

0 Likes
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

The game is CPU limited in multiplayer, so that would explain your performance drop. I have heard of other users with your CPU and the 4790K getting performance increases by upgrading their CPU or by installing much faster system memory.

clemrm
Adept I

Hello,

Thank you for the response. My I ask where you've read the CPU issue? I find it strange that an i7 4770 at 4ghz would need to be upgraded. I would think this CPU would be great years to come? Do you think upping my DDR3 ram from 1333 to 1600 would make a difference when it comes to FPS?

Here is how my CPU looks during play, it seems to stick around 85-90% but perhaps longer play will show 100%? Will have to check. Also, is this usage % of my GPU normal? Looks erratic going up and down, even though the GPU clock graph says it's at a constant 1060, so I'm assuming GPU Utilization should look like mine does?

e46c7cdcae.jpg

0 Likes
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

It is widely documented that multiplayer is very intensive on the CPU. Google Battlefield 1 CPU bottleneck for further research.

I would recommend the fastest memory you can fit with your Motherboard. If that's DDR3 2400Mhz, use that.

GPU usage looks normal, but if you want a more consistent reading in MSI AB enable Unified GPU Usage Monitoring.

0 Likes
clemrm
Adept I

Thank you for the response, that Usage Monitoring helped.

I noticed that my GPU % is hovering at a steady 50-60%, which seems odd to me. Should the usage not be higher at a more constant rate of being fully utilized?

0 Likes
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

CPU Bottleneck.

0 Likes