cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

kabukijo
Adept II

Latest Amd Driver affects desktop Icon positioning !!!

Evening all,

recently i replaced my RX580 gpu for an RX6600.

My OS is windows 10 pro Build 10.0.19045 (up to date)

first of, iam using extended view configuration most of the time, and using that setup i have this problem !!

Iam using extended view, because else i don't have audio, since iam using my external dolby atmos home cinema device to receive audio.

So, since a few driver releases (23.3.1 .. maybe prior to that..),  i have noticed allot of the icons on my main display moves to my secondary screen (LG HDTV) !!!

this happends when A. i power off my TV screen, B. Turn of my external audio device, to wich my gpu is connected  !!!

so i have to use an software utill like UltraMon to restore desktop icons to original positioning tiime and time again when that happends !!

also changing the resolution from my main desktop to any other resolution (i.e 1440p → 1080p-) causes that phenomenon too !!

So after extensive searching the net and applied every "solution / trick" i could find, none of the info solved the problem ... UNLESS...

I then have deleted the latest amd driver, Deleted the driver doing so (just to be certain it's deleted), and did an driver update using windows 10 update feature.

when i did use the driver provided by windows update ( Driver: 31.0.12027.7000 / Date: 10/20/2022) the problem wos resolved .

Now all of my icons are kept on the same main screen and in dual/extended configuration .  

And when i changed resolution from 1440p to 1080p and vice versa 1080p to 1440p the icons positions are restored to its original place !  Only when i change my desktop to an lower resolution icon positions are rearanged again, wich is understandable because of reduced pixels at lower resolutions.

So, hereby i like to confirm an bug/glitch in the latest video driver from amd.

Although it would be nice, i don't expect an sollution / workarround.

cheers,

MOBO : ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) / CPU: R9 5900x /GPU: 7800XT → RTX 4070Ti / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz XMP/ SSD: Nvme ssd Pcie 4.0 / PSU: 850 Watt
0 Likes
1 Reply
kabukijo
Adept II

..update..

This is interesting ... to say the least..

The problem is resolved somehow, somewhere..!?!

after i did an downgrade and moved from the latest 2023 amd driver to 2022 provided by a windows update..  I updated the old windows driver to build 23.3.2 again... 

And all of an sudden windows keeps all of my icons together at the position onscreen i have chosen before !!??!!

Furthermore, my screen doesn't turns black as if it automatically powers OFF & ON again after i power down my external devices (TV, Receiver..) !!  That is another thing i have noticed !!  Every time i powered down an external device my main monitor goes black an couple times rapidly (not just once) !

But not anymore, when i power down the device i keep working / Playing without interuptions on my main monitor and icons are now restored properly !  

This resolved ?  Just by uninstalling / → DELETE (when prompted) amd driver and install the driver windows chooses and pick via update !?!?

ODD...

Anyway, so for iam good again ..  

I hope my thread / sollution helps anyone out of this mess that has bugged me for an long time !!

MOBO : ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) / CPU: R9 5900x /GPU: 7800XT → RTX 4070Ti / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz XMP/ SSD: Nvme ssd Pcie 4.0 / PSU: 850 Watt
0 Likes