Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Thehootsman
Journeyman III

Kernel power error, rx 6800

Hi all 

I hope someone will have an idea about this, because I'm out of them. 

I purchased a new 6800 card from amd at which arrived 27/11/20. I simply switched out my 5700 xt strix to install. 

Everything works fine, it's a great card. However, every 10 or so days, randomly my third monitor will go black and the computer will freeze and reboot. 

This only happens when I'm watching twitch or a youtube video, it's never happened during gaming.

The only changes to seeings I've made on the card was to turn off zero mode on the fans, and left it at the stock fan curve. 

Reliability /event viewer show nothing but kernel power error. 

I've reinstalled the card, I've ddu the drivers and reinstalled, I've bought a upc, I've tried my 5700 strix back in which doesn't incur this issue, I've run sfc scan now and other command checks which return no concerns, who crashed finds no dump files. 

Every time you hope it'll be fixed, it surprises you out of the blue. 

I'm positive the psu is fine, the upc made no difference also. However since putting it on the upc the crash was slightly different, rather than just my third monitor going off and the computer freezing, everything went off at the same time. 

Rig 

Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus /
AMD 6800 /
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X /
2x 16 GB (32 GB) DDR4-3200 Corsair /
Vengeance LPX /
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut /
1 TB M.2 Samsung 860 EVO /
2000 GB Seagate Barracuda | 7200 RPM /
Corsair Hydro Series H100x | /
240mm/2x120mm /
Seasonic FOCUS Plus | 750W | 80+ Gold | Fully M

2 Replies
Operator8F
Journeyman III

Hello, i have the same issue,

XFX AMD reference Card - kernel 41 power, critical 6008 error. I have already replaced the PSU from 650w bequiet to a brand new HX850i , there are 2x 8pin , 1x 8 pin each single cable connected to the PSU to spread the load. Already submitted error reports tru AMD software in Dec 20.

Then, I installed a clean windows in Jan, clean from the scratch but the problem still exists. Re-installing both driver packages from AMD tru DDU and without the usage of DDU.

Around mid feb I installed the latest driver available tru Radeon software, but no change.

This happens randomly,  for now i counted more than 15 times this happend to me. the monitors turn black and there is distored audio from the speakers or the headphones, on different soundcards or onboard sound (have 3, USB, PCIe AE-5 and o/b sound), so this is not the issue.

And last but not least, this never happened to me under the old graphics card 1080.

Really appreciate if some more people could let us know, seems that I am not the only one.

running Intel 9700k @ stock ...O.C. deleted weeks BEFORE card replacement .

0 Likes
Joseillo147
Journeyman III

I have the same problem. When I play videogames my monitor turn off and my computer reboot ramdomly. It happens one time per week or something like that. I change my PSU by another one but It happens already. Please, someone who knows about this, help us!! 

My PC specs: 

Ryzen 5 5600x

AMD Rx 6800

MSI B550 Carbon wifi 

RAM 2x16 (crucial) ddr4 3200

PSU MSI 750w

Cooling MSI coreliquid 240r

SSD wd blue nvme 500gb

SSD sata3 bx550 1tb

0 Likes