cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

povell
Adept I

Issues with Samsung QLED TV as Monitor

My Samsung Q6FN works pretty good with my Nvidia GTX 1080 graphics card having no issues displaying 1440p @ 120hz when gaming.  The only irritant is some games have bad screen tearing... which is why I bought a AMD Vega 56 card for Freesync with this TV.

The problem is that while I was able to achieve 1440p @ 120hz on the desktop with the AMD card, in most games it kicks the TV input to 4k @ 60hz - even with both the desktop and game resolutions set to 1440p.  When I put the game to Windowed Mode it will show 1440p @ 120hz, but as soon as I put the game to Fullscreen the TV will show a 4k @ 60hz input.  I would assume since AMD worked with Samsung to put Freesync on the TV, that AMD would want it's products to work properly with it (at least as nicely as Nvidia).

Again, this issue is not happening with my Nvidia graphics card, which leads me to believe it is an issue with AMD drivers.  Not sure what else to try.  If AMD can give some guidance on this OR update drivers to work nicely with the Samsung 2018 QLED line, I would greatly appreciate it.

13 Replies
povell
Adept I

So, Last night I did some testing. For the most part Freesync was working on the Q6FN TV (not as smooth as my Freesync monitor).  There are select games like Hellblade, Bioshock Infinite, Just Cause 3 (freesync doesn't work at all with this game), where I need to run the game in windowed mode in order for the TV to see 1440p@120hz.  But other games like GTAV, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dishonored, CSGO... do work in Fullscreen 1440p@120hz with Freesync.

All games work in Fullscreen 1440p@144hz with Freesync through Displayport to my Benq 1440p@144hz monitor. But there is capped at 100hz though the AMD HDMI output (not sure if this restricted by the HDMI input of the Benq monitor, or the HDMI output of the VEGA 56, or the HDMI cable I am using).

I am going to test a couple more things when I get a chance.  

1. I am waiting for a coupe items to arrive in the mail: an active DP to HDMI 2.0b adapter, and a new HDMI 2.0b that has a specification rated for 1440p@120hz.   I am going to see if using the Displayport output of the Vega 56 will resolve any issues.

2.  I am going to turn off freesync on both AMD software and the TV to see if that is creating the issue; and I will take the TV out of game mode to see if that allows the troubled games to run in fullscreen 1440p@120hz.

The biggest issue for me in running a game in windowed mode, is that it will not run in HDR.  HDR features need to have the game in Fullscreen Mode.

Hope this helps someone.  Any other ideas/experiences would be helpful.

Great info.  As someone who has been looking at these TVs myself, it is interesting to see what the growing pains are.  Just curious, do you have the HDMI device set to "PC" in the input device manager on the Samsung TV?  Also, is HDMI UHD color enabled on that specific HDMI port?

povell
Adept I

ajlueke:  Yes to both. Device is set to PC and the HDMI UHD Color is enabled or that input.  My new cables are arriving today, so I will be doing some more testing tonight.  I'll update my post with my findings.

0 Likes
fifferfiffer
Adept I

if u have the 1134 firmware on the tv, that will display the resolution and refresh rate properly, when u press the middle OK button on the new smart remote, the display will come on, and right away show that u have 1440p 120hz or 2160 60hz, or whatever is supported.

14409 60hz is not supported, in this case the graphics card will recignise the situations, and will leave the desktop resolution at 1440p but the active outgoing signal to the tv will be 2160p 60hz, upscale by the graphics card. If u select 1440p in the game, but u leave it on the default 60hz refresh rate, in the game, then this will happen, will change to 21609 60hz , so u have to set 120hz refresh rate in the game menu.

Rtings.com mentions that too, that 1440p 60hz wont work, and i found it out the hard way myself.

Also i had loads of dead pixels, so i had to return the tv, the the first day i upgraded the irmware, huge mistake, i got newer 1153 firmware, and the OK button display info is not correct anymore, it will stuck with lets say 1080p 60hz, then if u sont select the input on the tv again, like hdmi 1 , or game console or whatever name u gave to it, than it will still display the previos setting, so u change lets say to 1440p 120hz, the tv still show 1080p 60hz, but the signal is actually 1440p 120hz, u can feel the mouse moves muxh smoother and more accurate

Also by default the hdmi level is low on 2160p but normal on 1440p, that made me think what tha crack the games looked better contrast on 4k, but it should be only sharper but not higher contrast, so on 2160p u cannot change the hdmi black level in the tv menu, but on 1440p 120hz u can, interesting.

I only have a pc with vega 64, for games movies etc... so i dont want to change the input label all the time, so i never use the PC label, so i wont get the 4:4:4 chroma subsampling but i just leave it on GAME CONSOLE, and turn on the game mode on and off.  But for me it works fine, im using hte 65 inch tv from 3 meters, on standard picture mode, looks good, and im using the desktop on 1440p 120hz cause the mouse moves way much er than on 60hz, and i can see the difference on the desktop between 1440p and 2160p, u need scaling in windows anyway, for me its 150% at 1440p 120hz.

The newer 1153 firmware is crap, if u turn game mode on and off from the quick menu it wont happen, and u have to oipen the exernal device manager, its annoying, it very good that i learnt all those issues, cause when i got a new tv cause of the dead pixels there is no way i would connect the tv to the internet, i dont want any firware update unless i really know about the new firmware, but the 1134 works fine so i dont see any reason to further than that. There is an option auto update in the menu, u can turn it off, but i dont trust the companies, they can force an firware update so the new tv does not know my wifi password.

There is a LAN connection on the tv so maybe that is the best way to upgrade if u really want, cause after the update u just disconnect it

Good thoughts.

The only problem is that not all games have a Refresh Rate setting.  But I never thought about that being the issue until you stated it that way.  Maybe certain games have a locked refresh rate in the .ini file and not in game settings to adjust it. If only all games had the ability to set refresh rate in the game settings.

I am now curious if I access the .ini files of the game and adjust it to have  120hz refresh if that will solve the issue? 

Actually, now that I think about it, I am able to reach 1440p@120hz + with the same games on a BenQ 1440p@144hz monitor.  So, it couldn't be the default settings in the game causing the issue. 

0 Likes
fifferfiffer
Adept I

in windows 10 right click on desktop, display settings - advanced display settings

here u can see the active signal resolution

cause if u just open the   in windows 10 right click on desktop, display settings , here u just see that its 1440p, but if ur refresh rate is set to 59 or 60 hz then the upscaling will happen cause the vega 64 knows that 1440p 60hz is not possible with this tv, so it will upscale it to 2160p 60hz, but windows still showing u 1440p, only to ur surprise to see in the

advanced display settings the  active signal resolution

0 Likes
fifferfiffer
Adept I

i thought the tv is stupid at first cause im playin a lot of odyssey on PC, and i play 1440p 120hz, than i was experimenting a bit, to see that in 2160p the contrast is beautiful, i was pissed cause i cant have 60fps at 4k, only in 1440p with vega64, but then i found the HDMI black level in the tv menu, u can set it to LOW, contrast is much better, though the black crushing is happening so night scenes looks much darker and crushed, maybe u can change it to LOW and if needed reaise the brightness in the game, in every game that is a quick option in the game menu, but if the game mostly plays at daytime the hdmi black low, with normal gamma or maybe -2 gamma setting looks good

fifferfiffer
Adept I

with odyssey the freesync works fine, the firmware 1134 always displays the real time refresh rate, so u can see the freesync in work, i like that, if u see stuttering that is because the game itself stutters, like odyessy in 1440p ultra custom, shadows low , cloud low, rest is highest, i have 60fps, but in a larger town the framerate jumps quickly down to 45 for a very short amount of time, but that happens all the time, u can see that in the game stats,  framerate jumps like crazy all the time, but withh afterburner the framerate is constant 60fps, cause that cannot refresh that fast, as the frame rate drops, that is why i see stuttering sometimes with freesync

But if i play outside of the city in odessey the framerate is very solid, and looks very goodm, in 1080p i can get 90-120fps, and it is so smooth, really good, at 1080p 120hz, really much better than 60hz refresh rate, but with vega 64 unfortunately new games cannot run 4k ultra 90fps, so i lock it on 60fps, but still better to set the refresh rate in the game to 120hz, at 1440p, even with the 60fps lock on it, cause the input lag is like 9ms on it, which is beautiful, this 2018 QLED, what i have it the 65 inch Q6FN is actually a really good gaming monitor at 1440p 120hz.

Freesync mostly matters in 48-60 hz range though, but even outside of this range can give u the 9ms input lag which is class leading, even a gaming monitor would not be faster than that, and im not talking about the 1ms response time BS.

0 Likes
fifferfiffer
Adept I

HDR in pc gaming is a bog hoax IMHO, so just dont use it, even the hdr in windows 10 is like wtf, is just different colors and worse than SDR, or look it the  game red dead redemption 2 , the HDR is considerably worst than SDR, and for many years it will be like this, also a tv like the Q6FN doesn not have the decent brighntess level to display real hdr content, maaybe the Q9FN but that is pretty expensive tv, like the 65 inch in europe is like 2800eur

The freesync is not capped at 100hz no hdmi cable, it works fine for me at the max 120hz, but for that i have to run the games at 1080p, though really nice smooth nad ultra responsive the game just looks way mcuh better in 1440p, though im sad when im playing in 1080p with even just 90fps, it feels so responsive, changing back to 1440p 60 fps is "laggish", but in some games like hitman 2 i can have around 100fps.

I was playing with xbox for years but my eyes cant take 30fps anymore.....

i which i can play 4k 120 fps ultra,, i think that iwll be a very nice standard for like 10 years or over, i already seen the new samsung 8k tv next to a 4k tv in real life, and i would not say its sharper,

in about 3 years i will replace the tv to a 4k 120hz tv, to a FALD tv not an edge lit one like the q6fn, and i will buy a new pc , than i will be able to run  the newest games at 4k ultra 60+ fps

povell
Adept I

So, I tried all I can do in attempt to solve the issue. I bought an new Displayport to HDMI adapter along with a new HDMI 2.0b cable to see if the issue was happening with the HDMI output on the card or the HDMI cable itself. No change. I did use DDU to uninstall all drivers and reinstalled them. I updated the drivers to the new Adrenalin 2019 driver too. No change.

I feel it may be an issue with the TV software and needs Samsung to update the firmware on the TV to solve the issue. However, this is only an issue with some titles. While several games are working perfectly fine. Games like Just Cause 3 is a specific troubled title because it does not have a "boarderless windowed" mode and Freesync doesnt work at all on that title.

But my overall expereince with the the games that work, work very well and freesynce works good with this TV. It is a very rare monitor in the market right now that can do 4k@60hz +HDR, 1440p@120hz +HDR, 1080p 120 hz +HDR. Current freesync monitors you usually have to pick either a 4k@60hz or a 1440p @ higher refresh rate, and HDR is pretty poor on most monitors in my experience. So, the Q6FN is quite a good combo of options and features in one package.

I’ve had issues with getting bloodstained to work with freesync at 120 hz. What ended up working for me was enabling the new variable refresh rate button in windows which I believe is mainly for windows store games since they tend to be borderless window. I set my desktop to 1440 p 120 hz and then enabled borderless window and then it was able to work.

Im not sure if borderless window can play hdr, but I think it can.

now the real issue is that for some reason YCbCr 422 doesn’t work with 1440 p but it does with 4K and 1080 p... That means when you okay in 1440 p hdr you’re getting 8 bit dithering instead of 10 bit...

Now I remember YCbCr 422 and 444 both working with my GeForce 1070 in 1440 p. However, there was a recent firmware that came out for QLEDs (1260) and that may have broken it.

freeesync also doesn’t appear to work in 4K. 48-60 hz is suppose to work in 4K but I haven’t been able to get it to work with anything.

0 Likes

Hi guys, 

I know this thread is dated but hopefully you get notified and can help me out.

You guys have been gaming 1440p @ 120hz for some time on the same screen. 

I recently purchased a MSI Trident X PC which has a 3080 graphics card. I play on my Samsung Q6FN TV which has the capability of 1440p @ 120hz.

Allhttps://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q6fn-q6-q6f-qled-2018

My settings in Nvidia control panel and windows display settings are at 120hz or 119.998hz. However in warzone my max refresh rate option is 60. Thanks for the assistance in advance.

If you can get my refresh rate to 120, I'll gladly send you $50.

0 Likes

You need to post your query on the Nvidia forums.

0 Likes