cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

namcost
Adept I

Issue with Dual Monitor setup, 240hz 1080p alienware with 144hz 1440p samsung

So back story to help get things straight, AMD support later.

I have an 1800x/RadeonVII setup.

I had a Samsung CHG70 27" HDR monitor. I had it hooked up via display port (1.4 certified cable even though the monitor is 1.2 certified) and it worked great.... Its 1440p, 144hz, HDR600 certified and 10bit color obviously.

Recently, as of today, I finally hooked up my Alienware 24" 240hz monitor. However, I had a few, issues, and still do.

First off, the Samsung CHG70 27" was hooked up via DP. I then hooked the Alienware up via HDMI (it came with it). I then noticed that both screens turned RED (cable failure? gpu failure?). I restarted my computer.

Coming back into windows, all seemed well, except my Alienware 240hz monitor WONT run 240hz.... it simply wont do it. It will go to 144hz, but if I try to set 240hz, it black screens, "can't find signal".

Okay so I switch cables. DP on the alienware, HDMI on the Samsung. Doing Samsung with HDMI limits it to 1440p 100z, no big deal as its going to by my HDR/movie secondary, while the alienware will be used for gaming. All seems well, until I try again to set 240hz on the alienware. It wont do it.

AT THE MOMENT, my issue is this, DP no longer works on my Samsung. I hope it wasn't a port failure on the monitor, but its still new as of this year so its in warranty.... sending it in will be a huge PITA. Restarting the computer doesn't help. And I don't know of any other way to reset the graphics card from knowing which is on what port. It see's a monitor, but it wont send signal or verify which monitor it is. I also have the Samsung display driver installed for both DP and HDMI so it knows hardware wise.... THE ONLY WAY to get 240hz on the alienware, rather its HDMI or DP, is to only have the Alienware hooked up, having the Samsung hooked up as well completely ruins 240hz. I have verified this.

So my question is, is this an AMD failure? Is it a failure with AMD and its inability to run a 1080p 240hz monitor at 8 bit color while having a 1440p 100hz hdr 10bit monitor at the same time? Because as I said, when the alienware is along, it works fine at 240hz. But as soon as the samsung is plugged in, everything breaks.

1 Solution
namcost
Adept I

Okay, so its Friday. I got my cables, Club3d DP 1.4 certified..... Hooked up the Alienware with the new cable. Sure enough, it worked no issue. Unlike my old cable which did not (old cable was a Club3d DP 1.4 but 12 feet, at the time when I original bought that cable, that was the only length in stock).... so 240hz working no issue now...... THEN, I hooked up my Samsung with the other new cable I bought, also DP1.4, another Club3d cable. Turned it on, bam, turned right on no issue. So for anyone who reads this with a similar issue, get some new cables. I thought that might fix it, as I stated above, but now I know.... now the only question is, will games stutter because of the different refresh rates like my 7970 did back when I had that setup. Hopefully the Radeon vii is far superior in more than just its ability to game vs the older cards. I probably wont come back to comment on if it stutters or not. Because the fix is easy, unplug the monitor you aren't gaming on. Cheers to all.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
namcost
Adept I

Don't now how to edit. But now the alienware wont work with the DP cable. so I ordered two new DP cables which will be here friday. however, for now, anyone have a clue on the whole "240hz vs 144hz" when running two monitors. i remember back in the day, on my 7970, trying to run two monitors, one asus 144hz and one tv at 60hz, if the tv was hooked up, games would stutter from the refresh rate differences....

is the only solution to buy a second alienware 240hz and just run two side by side?

or would it work with two different refresh rates if I had a second gpu, like a 560 just to run the HDR monitor for movies/tv/anime/web?

0 Likes
namcost
Adept I

Okay, so its Friday. I got my cables, Club3d DP 1.4 certified..... Hooked up the Alienware with the new cable. Sure enough, it worked no issue. Unlike my old cable which did not (old cable was a Club3d DP 1.4 but 12 feet, at the time when I original bought that cable, that was the only length in stock).... so 240hz working no issue now...... THEN, I hooked up my Samsung with the other new cable I bought, also DP1.4, another Club3d cable. Turned it on, bam, turned right on no issue. So for anyone who reads this with a similar issue, get some new cables. I thought that might fix it, as I stated above, but now I know.... now the only question is, will games stutter because of the different refresh rates like my 7970 did back when I had that setup. Hopefully the Radeon vii is far superior in more than just its ability to game vs the older cards. I probably wont come back to comment on if it stutters or not. Because the fix is easy, unplug the monitor you aren't gaming on. Cheers to all.