cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

tokad
Adept I

Is the summer 2021 move of pre Vega cards to legacy model ok? What do you think?

For some widely used pre Vega cards driver support ended in June 2021: Product and OS Support Update for Radeon Software ... - AMD Community

Espacially the end of the driver support for different kinds of R9 series cards is bitter. They are still decent DX12 cards and prices of modern graphics cards are high because of covid crises and mining craze. Also the move to legacy model happend at a bad timing and we R9 graphics card owners will end with no Windows 11 optimized drivers.

I basically understand the decision but since AMD has financially recovered the last years I think it should be possible to provide at least a mature Windows 11 driver for R9 owners. We sticked to AMD in bad times and this would be a nice gesture in return.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Found the problem. Low FPS and GPU utilization was caused by Citrix Workspace. I installed it at the time of the Windows 11 upgrade and it installed a "Citrix Display Adapter". Apparently Games used this display adapter in conjunction with DirectX11. Force DirectX9 in Unity games like "The Forest" or Valley Benchmark strangely did not show this behavior. After deinstalling Citrix Workspace everything worked. If deinstalling is no option, read this thread: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1743358239830363122/

But it nevertheless would be nice to see a Windows 11 optimized driver for R9 series graphics cards from AMD.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies

Technology and software requirements move forward.

Go with the flow. or sit back and be satisfied with older game/software optimizations.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

The cheapest new Radeon in Austria is a 6700 XT and it costs 900€. Go with the flow is ok but not at this price levels.

tokad
Adept I

It's a shame. I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and Gaming is not possible anymore. Games working flawlessly on Windows 10 are now stuttering. GPU utilization is in the low single digit zone. Disabling W11 Gamemode does not help. I think, that this is mainly a Windows 11 problem. But I think that the R9 series legacy cards deserve a proper Windows 11 driver. This maybe will be mandatory to get the problems resolved. I hope AMD is listening and will provide a Windows 11 driver. 

In case of finances AMD is doing well. So please give something back to your loyal customers. Moving the R9 series to legacy short before Windows 11 was a very bad desicion.

0 Likes

Found the problem. Low FPS and GPU utilization was caused by Citrix Workspace. I installed it at the time of the Windows 11 upgrade and it installed a "Citrix Display Adapter". Apparently Games used this display adapter in conjunction with DirectX11. Force DirectX9 in Unity games like "The Forest" or Valley Benchmark strangely did not show this behavior. After deinstalling Citrix Workspace everything worked. If deinstalling is no option, read this thread: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1743358239830363122/

But it nevertheless would be nice to see a Windows 11 optimized driver for R9 series graphics cards from AMD.

0 Likes