cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

titussteel
Journeyman III

Is my amd hd 8850m broken?

after installing driver for amd hd 8850m on windows 8.1 the screen goes black and nothing happens. I can't restart so i have to shut it down from the power button, after I start-up when it passes from bios the same thing happens without entering windows. I have an dell inspiron 3537 laptop with a hybrid intel hd graphics 4400 and amd hd 8850m. Oh and it appears in my device manager as Microsoft basic display adapter with the yellow !

0 Likes
3 Replies

Your HD8850M is not being recognized. Windows doesn't see that GPU card thus it is using the Windows basic display instead.

Windows 8.1 is not supported any more by AMD with VGA Driver updates. The last Windows 8.1 AMD laptop Driver is from 2017: AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M Series GPU Drivers & Support | AMD 

Make sure your Intel VGA Drivers are up to date with the latest version. In fact make sure all of your Intel Drivers are up to the latest version. This is important for the AMD Driver to work properly.

Either go to your Laptop Support site and update all Intel Drivers or use Intel's own Driver Updater: Intel Driver & Support Assist.

Here is how to install AMD Laptop Drivers with an Intel Processor: https://community.amd.com/thread/207699 

Note: if you want further help you are gonna need to post your exact Make & Model of your laptop with hardware and software installed.

0 Likes

I have the latest drivers installed from the dell support site. The problem started a week ago when i was playing a game, the screen froze and i could not do a thing, not even restart. When i shut it down and start it up again, it did not enter in windows instead a black screen appeared and nothing happened. I formatted the laptop, installed a clean fresh windows 8.1, and it entered windows. After installing all drivers except the AMD everything worked well, after installing the latest AMD driver from dell or AMD site or any other site for that matter, the same thing happened. 

I have Dell Inspiron 3537, Intel®Core™i7-4500U 1.80GHz, Haswell, 8GB, 1TB, AMD Radeon HD 8850M 2GB GDDR5, Intel hd graphics 4400 

As for software what counts for graphics i have intel hd graphics, microsoft visual c++ redistributable 2005(x64)  and 2015(x86)        

0 Likes

Hello.

I have the same laptop with the same problem. Was working in Archicad in 3D mode and then it froze all of the sudden.

Tried everything. Changing W10 versions. Changing drivers. Any AMD or Dell driver won't work with the 8850m. It will freeze the system. With default installers or Device Manager.

Even heated the GPU on the mainboard with a hair dryer. Worked wonders in other cases. But now i'm out of luck.

UPDATE #1 : Tried flashing the GPU bios with Atiflash in FreeDos. No luck. After testing the Gpu it said Failed. It usually means the video card is bricked. Others resolved this issue with 1-8 pin method to bypass the video bios. But on desktop cards. In this case I cannot figure where is the gpu bios chip. 

I might go to service in the end. 

UPDATE #2 : Used the hair dryer method once again, but with more heat. Surprisingly it worked. But only for 20 minutes. At this point I knew what the problem was in my case. So I bought a industrial hair dryer (350  celsius) and some flux. The flux is important to go under the chip by putting the mainboard on an slight angle.  If not the problem will come again. So in conclusion it works for now but I can't say for how long. If the problem will come again, repeat the process or go to a service to do "reballing" for the chip. Replacing all the conections with new solder. Watch this video for more details : EASY. Hp laptop video card repair . REPAIR THAT WILL LAST - YouTube 

Cheers.

0 Likes