cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

falf
Adept I

Is it possible to decrease the dedicated memory of the radeon vega 8 on Linux (Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS)?

Hi,

Is there any kernel parameter or another tool/software in order to decrease the 2gb dedicated to radeon vega 8 ? Ubuntu reports ~10gb available for system usage.

I need as such memory as possible for running my virtualization labs (containers/kubernetes).

Definitely there is not any option on my BIOS. Windows 10 Home Edition also reports 2 gb dedicated and only 10 gb available.

Thank you,

Francisco

0 Likes
4 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Why you would want it to go less, no idea. But, no that's as low as it goes. Bump your RAM up to 16GB or more if you're hitting a memory wall. That's a weak system anyway for higher workloads, no offense.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.
   We in Brazil are suffering from the dollar price to buy some electronic device ... unfortunately that's what I managed to buy
   My acer aspire 3 a315-23-r0ld supports a maximum of 12 GB of RAM.

The software I use requires 9 GB. 
   Therefore, 1 Gb remains for the operating system.
   I'm not going to use it for games, but just for studying (I researched and I found that the container technology does not use a video card).

Thank you,

Francisco

0 Likes

BIOS is the only place I know to decrease or increase the Integrated Graphics vRAM. If you laptop doesn't have that setting that means Acer has decided to make permanent the amount of vRAM for your Integrated Graphics which is 2 GB.

In other laptops there is a BIOS setting to adjust the amount of System RAM that the Integrated Graphics vRAM will use. Generally the minimum amount is around 512 MB up to 2 GBs of System RAM. But in newer Laptops the maximum might be 4 GB or higher.

I don't believe you can change that via Operating System only BIOS.

Note: Maybe Acer has a newer BIOS version that would have that setting. I would open a Acer Support ticket and find out if they have a newer BIOS for your laptop in which you can adjust the vRAM of your Integrated Graphics.

0 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for everybody.

I will contact acer for to ask about a newer BIOS.

Francisco.