cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

iracer99
Journeyman III

Is an older GPU worth having repaired?

I have an older GPU that has failed on me. It was purchased with a new PC May of 2016. It was a great card, and I'd hate to just throw it in the recycle bin.

It's a AMD Radeon R9 390X 8GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16.

Any advice would be appreciated. Maybe even a contact??

0 Likes
3 Replies

In my opinion only, not really unless you repair it yourself with cannibalized parts from other AMD GPU cards.

Most likely with Parts and Labor at a computer shop it will cost more than a more modern newer GPU card that are as or more powerful than the GPU card you now have broken.

Since it is about 4 years old most likely the Warranty has expired on it. Most GPU manufacturer Warranties are about 3 years.

0 Likes
mutantxdvd
Adept III

considering you can find cheap cards on ebay, um no. I bought a new 570 8GB Phantom D edition card for only 129 dollars 3 months ago. 

0 Likes

How do you know it's a failed GPU and not another issue?

But if it is truly a failed GPU, unless it's a $50 or less fix, I agree with pokester that it is better to get a new GPU. The downside is that GPU prices are still in the stratosphere, and they show absolutely no signs of returning to normal anytime soon despite AMD's statement to the contrary. The RX 5500XT is quite a bit faster and is under $200, but unless you absolutely positively have to have a new card right now, I would wait until RDNA2 cards and prices are announced in 10 days on October 28th.