cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

fatheredpuma81
Journeyman III

Is 2D support half baked?

So I recently upgraded from a GTX 960 to an RX 580 and i'm having many various issues with just 2D in general while running 3D games. Things such as Forza Horizon 4 crashing Chrome when I open it or crashing Discord when I stream my Desktop with it with a 50/50% chance if the game crashes as well, GTA 5 encountering some unknown issue which results in Discord and Steam restarting, PCSX2 giving buggy commands to the graphics card resulting in Chrome, Winrar, Steam, Discord, and locking my Desktop forcing me to start explorer.exe manually, and BF5 outright crashing when I so much as open MSI Afterburner to figure out why at 60C the fans are running at 99%.

Before getting the RX 580 my computer was nearly perfect when it came to responding even when a game would crash. Now if a game has an issue everything has an issue... 

Also I found out yesterday when I plugged in my 1024p monitor that apparently the GPU can't handle this without running the vram at max speed because "this is intended and nvidia is just better" (not word for word) according to a post I found here.

Any ideas what's going on and is this seriously what's expected of AMD? 

Notes:
1. I'm using the latest drivers as of like 5/29/2019 (when I got the card)

2. Used DDU to full uninstall Nvidia drivers

3. Have Windows driver updates disabled (so no outdated driver installs at random)

4. I use Bitdefender and scan with MBAM, ADWCleaner, and Super Anti spyware semi regularly so it's not a virus.

5. Have a EVGA 650w 80+ Gold so it's not a power issue

6. Temps at their highest are in the upper 70s under synthetic stress tests

7. I did NOT have these issues before switching

0 Likes
3 Replies

As a  user of a RX 580 I can share my settings that help with the stability. I can't speak for all RX 580's but mine has issues and there are many complaints. Based on what I see in these forums it is still a more stable product than the Vega series if you figure out the tweaked settings that work with your card. Apparently and self included many can't operate with default settings. I have 5 AMD cards 4 of those are older and never had stability issues but now do with current drivers and do not work without changing the settings from defaults. I will share my settings with you for my RX 580, only follow the power limit setting and fan and temp settings as the others are likely different for your card. I hope it helps. If not and you are still in a return window for your product you may wish to do that. If not you can contact the maker of your card and maybe you do have a problem and can RMA the card for another product. I moved on with my primary gaming machine to another card and have had zero issues since doing so. 

0 Likes

I mean the issue isn't that the card is unstable while playing games really it's that 2D applications are. If I do nothing about the weird insane fan speed the card is perfectly stable. Thanks though i'll most certainly look into your settings and see if they help.

I've also been able to manually overclock it to 1425MHz with max voltage.

The most I can really do is contact the seller on eBay and get another one. The card came with no box and Powercolor (it's a Red Devil) states on their website that they do not transfer warranty over to other users.

0 Likes

In reality there really are no 2D applications. GDI is long deprecated. So called 2D calls are converted into 3D. Modern GPU's don't even support 2D in hardware and have not for a long time. So if your card is having an issue it may be hardware or driver you just have to figure out which. You could try and older driver and see if that helps or your card in another machine to be sure of which way to lean. Hope you figure it out. Please know that many ebay cards were mining cards and often times they are  literally worn out when people sell them. If the seller did this and didn't divulge this information you should ask and maybe at this point they might refund your money. 

0 Likes