Intermittent blackscreen flash RX580

System is

windows 10 64 bit

AMD ryzen 7 2700x

GIGABYTE GA-AB350M-DS3H motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz

XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 1386MHz OC+, 8GB GDDR5 graphics card

MasterWatt 650 Watt Semifanless Modular Power Supply psu

Just out of the blue I'm getting a random black screen for a few seconds doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing be it games or just watching youtube videos the screen will just blank to black for a few seconds then come right back as if nothing is wrong.  I have already tried uninstalling the latest driver the software recommends and going back to the driver i know i have used and this was not an issue and that seems to have done nothing if anything it seems to be doing it more now that I have done that than it was before. The the whole system is barely 2 months old so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do I have been into it and checked to makes sure the additional power cables are seated properly so i know that is not the issue.

1 Solution
icenhour76
Adept I

Ok here is how I believe I solved my problem i booted in safe mode and uninstalled the video driver with DDU then booted back into normal windows and installed the most recent driver.  After that installed I went into the global wattman settings and restored the default settings which I had changed nothing in there other than setting the fan to come on much sooner than the fanless setting which is the default.  Thenn as I've done every time turned the fanless mode off and set the fan to what I would call a more reasonable setting and now I'm back to working as expected played the division 2 for a couple hours too and no more black screen issue.  So the only thing I can come up with is that the driver loaded some kind of setting that required more power than was available so every time the GPU ramped up the screen blanked out but going back to the default settings which is what it should have been on in the first place.  Seems to have completely taken care of the issue so if you are haveing this issue reset the global wattman settings to default even if you haven't changed anything in there at all and see if that stops it then tweak it from there if theirs something you want to change.  Hopefully this will save somebody the trouble of installing and uninstalling the driver 4 or 5 times if nothing else it's a good place to start trying from.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
scottgaliger
Journeyman III

I have the same card and a similar problem; the only difference is mine would flicker for a few seconds when playing games.  What fixed it was going into Radeon Settings/Gaming/Global Wattman and changing the speed/temperature settings higher so the fan kicked in sooner.  Drove me nuts for a week trying to fix it but since I have done that, no problem at all.  Hope this helps.  

0 Likes

I already did that cause the whole the fan dont come on till it gets hot thing just seemed like a bad idea in the first place. I've reinstalled the drivers twice and reset the global Wattman and I think something in that has fixed the problem at least temporarily it's not stopped long enough for me to say it's all the way fixed but I think the resetting the wattman to factory defaults then turning the fan back on at a sorta more normal level I think may have fixed it but like I said it's not been running long enough with out the problem for me to declare it solved yet but I think that might have done it.  i have no idea why that woulda fixed it because the only setting in there I've ever changed was turning the fan on.

0 Likes
icenhour76
Adept I

Ok here is how I believe I solved my problem i booted in safe mode and uninstalled the video driver with DDU then booted back into normal windows and installed the most recent driver.  After that installed I went into the global wattman settings and restored the default settings which I had changed nothing in there other than setting the fan to come on much sooner than the fanless setting which is the default.  Thenn as I've done every time turned the fanless mode off and set the fan to what I would call a more reasonable setting and now I'm back to working as expected played the division 2 for a couple hours too and no more black screen issue.  So the only thing I can come up with is that the driver loaded some kind of setting that required more power than was available so every time the GPU ramped up the screen blanked out but going back to the default settings which is what it should have been on in the first place.  Seems to have completely taken care of the issue so if you are haveing this issue reset the global wattman settings to default even if you haven't changed anything in there at all and see if that stops it then tweak it from there if theirs something you want to change.  Hopefully this will save somebody the trouble of installing and uninstalling the driver 4 or 5 times if nothing else it's a good place to start trying from.

Two thinks plague those cards. Not enough power ceiling and thermal throttling. You fixed the latter with the fan curve good job. I you still get black screens occasionally  then raise the power limit to it's maximum of 50. This isn't over volting as the power is used dynamically and is still in the normal range for the card. It just give it more power available if and when it should need it. 

0 Likes