cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

del707
Journeyman III

Intermittant black screen crash

I built a new PC recently but I've been having problems.

Here's the build.

AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core 2700X 4.35GHz (Socket AM4) Processor

Samsung SSD 850 Evo 1TB

Toshiba 2TB P300 7200RPM Performance Hard Drive (HDWD120UZSVA)

MSI Optix G24C 24" 1920x1080 VA FREESYNC 144Hz 1ms Curved Widescreen Gaming Monitor

OcUK Value Blu-ray / DVDRW combi SATA

Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Glass Midi Tower Case

Bitfenix Formula Series 750W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

Alpenfohn Ben Nevis Advanced CPU Cooler - 130mm

Gigabyte Aorus RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit

Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 64 WindForce OC 8GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7 AMD X370 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Everything other then the SSD is brand new, which come from my old build.

I've had problems from the start, to begin with the machine would turn itself off whenever I ran a game, but in the end I plugged in 2 different PCIe plugs instead of using a daisy chain off 1 rail, which solved the problem.

But afterwards, very rarely, my monitor would lose signal, sometimes after 10 seconds the picture would come back, other times the fans would absolutely take off and the picture would stay off, causing me to turn off the PC.

I made sure all my drivers and BIOS, motherboard and GPU, were up to date, but the problem kept happening, I even tried undervolting the GPU to see if that helped.

Last night I had 2 black screen within 30 minutes, 1st time, the picture come back, 2nd time it didn't. I noticed I was using the beta/optional radeon drivers, so I uninstalled them and put on the tried and tested version, which seemed to be going well until earlier today.

I decided to install Dark Souls 1 with the DSfix, worked fine for about an hour then I got a blue screen error, believe it was driver_irql. Didn't think much of it, just put it down to bad DSfix settings.

Reset the machine and tried Tomb Raider, got a blue screen within 2 minutes, reset machine, got another blue screen within a minute, doing nothing on the desktop. This happened several times.

I then went into safe mode to uninstall the radeon drivers, but the uninstaller did nothing, it just sat there, I increased the screen resolution while this was going on and I got another blue screen. Long story short, I got several blue screens in safe mode.

By now I've had enough and I just want to wipe the machine and reinstall Windows, I insert my USB installer and as soon as it tries to load Windows, I get more blue screens.

Last thing I do is go into the BIOS and do a factory reset, now everything works and I'm able to install Windows, which is where I am at the moment.

I've not changed much in my BIOS, the only thing I did change was to enable XMP. I don't know much about XMP but I was advised to enable it when I built my machine.

After all this, the PC worked fine for about 4 days without a fault, untill today. I've had 3 black screens, but they've not lasted as long as the other black screens and they havn't resulted in crashes.

Can anyone give suggestions on how to locate and fix this fault?

0 Likes
6 Replies

Unfortunately this is a common issue. It is power related typically and nothing wrong likely with your system. My RX 580 exhibits the same behavior.

Most of the RX 580's sold are overclocked out of the box and as such the vanilla drivers don't supply a high enough power ceiling.

This is quickly fixed by raising the  Red Power Limit Sider to it's maximum. Slide the slider all the way to the right to 50. This is still well withing normal range and is not over volting in any way. It is dynamic and doesn't even mean your card is constantly using more power. Only that it can use more when needed.

This setting is in Radeon Setings / Gaming / Global Settings / Global Wattman : down below the fan settings.

If this alone does not help there are several other things you can do to get it stable. Let us know how this works for you first please.

0 Likes

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

0 Likes
del707
Journeyman III

Just had another black screen with the power limit turned all the way up.
Again, I didn't get a loss of signal message the screen come back after a few seconds, so definately an improvement over the initial fault, but it's still happening.

0 Likes

Do the following things then get back to me on if it helped or not, if this doesn't get it, it isn't the usual suspects. Some of the things I am going to suggest you may think strange, but trust me than can make a big difference.

To begin with if your are using anything like Afterburner, Trixx or other graphics tweakers, don't and uninstall them.

Next to the following:

1. Disable Fast Startup (google it)

2. Disable Hibernation (google it)

3. Make sure your Computer is set to "High Performance" in the power profile.

4. Turn off all Windows 10 game functions. In settings Gaming disable anything on, DVR, Game Bar ETC....

5. If your anti-virus software has a game mode, use it.

Now I want you to re-install the driver again doing the following:

Download the driver you want.

Run DDU from safe mode.  Get it from WagnardSoft_com.

Disconnect from the internet. ( this is the key as it is Windows update screwing up the reinstall)

Restart, and install the driver.

Restart with internet back on and you should be good to go.

After the driver re-install set the Power Limit Slider back to +50, to it's maximum.

If that doesn't get it. Let me know. I use custom fan and temp settings with my RX 580 and can post a screen shot of my settings for you to duplicate. I am work right now and don't have it here. I have done all these things and it has made my RX 580 rock solid stable, and it is anything but without what I have done.

0 Likes
del707
Journeyman III

Only tried changing the displayport cable so far, but I had this wierd fault yesterday.

Playing a game and all of a sudden the screen went black, then slowly fadded to white.

RdP7UT4.jpg

0 Likes