cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

OaransanAMD
Adept I

Integrated and dedicated graphics at the same time?

Hello, I have a question, in case someone can help me. I have a Ryzen 5600G and I have added a dedicated graphics, an RX 6600. I have verified that when I install it, the integrated graphics is disabled. But I see that I can go into the motherboard bios and activate it too. I don't know what is better for performance, whether to leave both graphics enabled or to leave only the dedicated one enabled for everything. I don't know if having both active will be better or Windows will use one or the other depending on the needs, etc. And, the doubt I have. Will the signal from the integrated graphics in the processor flow through the cable coming from the dedicated graphics to the screen without the need to use two cables, one from the dedicated graphics and one from the motherboard? Thank you very much.

Oaransan
0 Likes
3 Solutions
innata
Adept I

Hello.

I also have 5700G and 6700XT and I am using both graphics at the same time. I have only 1 monitor. I connected 2 cables coming out from monitor and ending one cable in motherboard and other cable in graphics card. This way, windows thinks that I use 2 monitors and it opens multiple display options for me. The options are duplicate, extend, show only integrated, show only discrete. I select show only discrete graphics only when I am about to start a demanding game. For other daily uses like surfing or watching video I keep show only integrated option. If you have only 1 cable and want to use pc the way I do, you must always alternate the cable between motherboard and graphics card.

If you disable integrated graphics from bios and only use dedicated graphics, you would save yourself from all these trouble. I am unsure but maybe using only dedicated card could draw some more watts than you alternate between integrated and dedicated.

If you want windows to automatically alternate between integrated and dedicated just like laptops do, you shall choose duplicate displays and then adjust each game to use the graphics you want. You can adjust it from control panel System --> Display --> Graphics

View solution in original post

OaransanAMD
Adept I

Thank you so much for your answer. It has helped me a lot. Understanding then that with a single cable coming out of my dedicated graphic, the integrated signal will not circulate there, right? Thanks.

Oaransan

innata
Adept I

If you only use 1 cable connected to dedicated card and keep the integrated graphics ON in bios, then windows or games will never use integrated because it has no cable connected.

You can use windows task manager to follow the graphic activities in performance tab to understand which combination triggers which graphics device.

4 Replies
innata
Adept I

Hello.

I also have 5700G and 6700XT and I am using both graphics at the same time. I have only 1 monitor. I connected 2 cables coming out from monitor and ending one cable in motherboard and other cable in graphics card. This way, windows thinks that I use 2 monitors and it opens multiple display options for me. The options are duplicate, extend, show only integrated, show only discrete. I select show only discrete graphics only when I am about to start a demanding game. For other daily uses like surfing or watching video I keep show only integrated option. If you have only 1 cable and want to use pc the way I do, you must always alternate the cable between motherboard and graphics card.

If you disable integrated graphics from bios and only use dedicated graphics, you would save yourself from all these trouble. I am unsure but maybe using only dedicated card could draw some more watts than you alternate between integrated and dedicated.

If you want windows to automatically alternate between integrated and dedicated just like laptops do, you shall choose duplicate displays and then adjust each game to use the graphics you want. You can adjust it from control panel System --> Display --> Graphics

OaransanAMD
Adept I

Thank you so much for your answer. It has helped me a lot. Understanding then that with a single cable coming out of my dedicated graphic, the integrated signal will not circulate there, right? Thanks.

Oaransan
innata
Adept I

If you only use 1 cable connected to dedicated card and keep the integrated graphics ON in bios, then windows or games will never use integrated because it has no cable connected.

You can use windows task manager to follow the graphic activities in performance tab to understand which combination triggers which graphics device.

Thank you very much for your help.

Oaransan
0 Likes