Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

boris_191
Journeyman III

Increase in temps for seemingly no reason

Hello,

My Sapphire RX 580 has started getting increased temperature readings when playing games (mostly War Thunder).

In in-game recordings from just 1 month ago I was getting around 55-60 degrees max.

Now when even in the menu, my temperatures go up to 70-73.

I have cleaned up the dust, reapplied thermal paste, updated AND rolled my drivers back a couple of times, yet nothing seems to work.

I also get crashes because of this (presumably). My computer crashes, the fans spin at 100% for around 10 seconds to a minute, and only then does the PC restart.

The temps however never go beyond 75.

Idles at 35.

Something I have noticed when stress-testing using FurMark is how fast the temperature changes.

The moment I press space to stop the rendering, the temps go down to 45 degrees.

I even changed my fan curve to help, but it doesn't seem to have done much.

It's starting to get really out of hand as I don't want to damage the card by overheating.

Specs:

Sapphire Nitro Radeon RX 580 

Windows 10 64bit 1909 build

Radeon Software Adrenaline 21.2.3 (just rolled them back about an hour ago to test, nothing changed)

AMD A10-5800B

8x2GB DDR3 RAM

0 Likes
6 Replies
boris_191
Journeyman III

bump

0 Likes

Hi, you appear to have an APU and a GPU, probably worth checking the APU is off in bios. The card should handle 75 degrees easily GPUs often get much hotter. Could it be another part of your system that is over heating?

0 Likes

Nope, it's my GPU. I have RivaTuner up to check temperatures while playing games, and it's the GPU that overheats.

While 75 degrees may be fine, putting the card through that much heat non-stop for up to 6 hours probably isn't.

The APU is disabled.

Maybe that's the problem?

0 Likes

Yeh I got that the problem is the gpu but as you have both options In the system it is worth making sure only the gpu is active. If they are both present and active than the system could be confused. 
i have a Radeon W5500 pro that under heavy load for hours shows over 100 degrees and carries on trucking so temps are relative . Your problem is the instability I am not sure the temp of the gpu is it

0 Likes

When you say you reapplied thermal paste was this gpu or the processor? If this was not done right it could also be the problem

0 Likes

For the GPU. I made sure to apply a correct amount. Even though I'm no expert, I have replaced thermals for a few computers before and made sure to check a guide just in case.

0 Likes