Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

gtallon
Adept I

identifying the source of a problem

Hello,

for now two week I had a problem happen :  My screen would flicker, display snow for some seconds, then display a green screen for less than a second, then back to normal

It has been happening once or twice every hour, but recently the screen just turns black for 10-15 seconds, then flickers/snow/green screen/ back to normal
today the screen didnt turn on, and i had to restart 4 times before i had an actual display, even though the screen was detecting a hdmi connection

What i did: i tried using a different hdmi cable, and i bought a new one, the problem persisted. I tried to change the display resolutions in the settings, and the problem happens every time i change them.

I have a 580 RX from 2011, and my monitor is a 59.940 hz which is many years old, and is plugged with an hdmi cable

Here is a link to a 30s video with a visual on the problem i have taken with my phone
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xrzWeZknSUY

I would like to know if this problem comes from my GPU or my screen

0 Likes
1 Solution
gtallon
Adept I

Hello and thank you for your help and answers.

The new motinor arrived and is now installed, and i dont have this problem anymore. Problem solved

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

Difficult to say, but could be capasitor or contact issue in monitor. I would try connecting computer to television or if that is not possible, connect monitor to laptop or someone elses computer for testing. Also if you have multiple ports in GPU or monitor, try them too, including DVI, VGA, DP and so on.

0 Likes

I will get a new monitor tomorrow and keep this post updated if the problem persists.

I did try the differents ports on my GPU from hdmi to dvi. my screen doesnt have DP tho

If you are a gamer and budget isn't super tight, definitely get a 144Hz or faster freesync monitor. You will notice a difference in gaming. Makes old GPU feel faster. At least that was my experience with R9 390 and moving from 60Hz fullhd to 144Hz 1440p. Again, even if you are not a gamer, if budget allows it, consider 27" 1440p monitor as no matter what you do, it is a great resolution from anything like web browsing to office application to gaming. I would also get an IPS panel rather than VA or TN.

0 Likes
gtallon
Adept I

Hello and thank you for your help and answers.

The new motinor arrived and is now installed, and i dont have this problem anymore. Problem solved