Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ojustaboo
Adept I

Icons have black square on them as I mouse over

I have an odd problem.

Desktop can look 100% fine, then as I move the mouse cursor over the icons, as I move the mouse over each one, they have a black square around them. It seems completely random when it does it.

Today it did it while installing a piece of software, then it had finished installing, the icons went back to normal.

Then a little later it happened again, no software being installed.

Very occasionally after this, the whole background pic turns to black.

Logging out and back in fixes it.

Paid for version of Malewarebytes gives a clean bill of health as does free Avast.

It's been doing this for a few weeks on and off. Yesterday evening I reformatted and reloaded Win 10. (well I reloaded from a trueimage disk image backup taken in May this year, then did win updates etc. has only been doing this for a couple of weeks or so)

Today it's still doing it. I just took a snip of part of the desktop after I moused over the icons,

black screen problem.PNG

edit: I just removed a USB drive and this is the result

black screen problem1.PNG

I'll log out and back in and it will be fine, sometimes when I just do thinks like browse web, open software etc it sorts it's self out

Any ideas?

Many thanks

EDIT: Now the reverse is happening, I mouse over and the background reappears (haven't moused over them all)

amd5.PNG

System Specs

amd.PNG

amd2.PNG

amd3.PNG

XFX RADEON RX480 Black Edition OC

Utech MMO Gaming Mouse

Logitech G510 Keyboard

Dell U2713HM monitor running at 2560 x 1440

BenQ GW2470 1920x1080

Intel Core i7 3820 a2011  3600 MHz

Asus P9X79 Socket 2011 ATX Motherboard

32GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 RAM

Corsair 750 Watt HX750i Fully Modular ATX PSU/Power Supply

Archon SB-E X2 CPU Cooler

Antec 1200 Case

Corsair Force GT SSD 120GB (C drive)

Corsair Neutron GTX SSD 240GB (H drive)

Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB (G & K drives)

Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB (I drive)

Toshiba HDwe140  4TB (D, E & F drive)

SanDisk SSD Plus 480GB (J drive)

0 Likes
4 Replies

I've read of somewhat similar issues being related to Windows activation fail(or not activated).

Might pay to also post your question on http://www.tenforums.com/

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Thanks. Have posted in the tenforums.

It's activated fine

0 Likes

This website offers tips on how to fix the issue your are having with the Desktop Icons: FIX: Black Squares Behind Folder Icons in Windows 10 - Appuals.com

From TenForums: ( this shows how to rebuild your Icon Cache in Windows 10) https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5645-rebuild-icon-cache-windows-10-a.html

This is old but should apply to Windows 10 and is basically saying the same tips in the above links. This is the exact problem you are having which is why I posted it: Desktop Glitch? Black Squares Whenever I Drag or Mouse Over Icons - [Solved] - Windows 10

This seems to be the same fix and procedure for Windows 7 as it is for the link from Tenforums concerning Windows 10: Thumbnail Cache - Clear and Reset - Windows 7 Help Forums

0 Likes
madcell
Journeyman III

Hello friend have you solved this issue? im experiencing the same problem and iv'e done almost everything i could.

0 Likes