cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

monkeytranquil
Journeyman III

I think my R5 M255 is broken

So I've been having this problem for a while now and I've tried many fixes but not getting any improvement. I'm using a 5 year-old HP Probook 450 G2 with hybrid graphics (Intel HD 5500 and AMD Radeon R5 M255). The problem is my laptop becomes unresponsive whenever I try to run something required some graphical acceleration (like gaming or using Chrome) and hard reset is the only option in such situation. I disabled AMD card in BIOS and haven't got any freezing ever since so I decided that my AMD card is the source of the problem. I have tried various fixes such as DDU, older driver, system scan, OCCT, reinstall Windows, clean my laptop etc. but all test results came back normal and the problem is still there. I'm thinking of getting a new laptop but before that I want to know if my old buddy is really broken beyond repair.

0 Likes
3 Replies
mark1428
Journeyman III

ive been trying to research the problem fix too taken me a half month till i get here on ur feed. well. nobody will give a **bleep** about it. as if its HP i tried several solutions to even hard reset nobody worked it seems to be defective already were the same i switched unto my integrated its my 2 yr old laptop whcih i rigged for gaming. i think thats the only life span of the dedicated vc but **bleep**. wasted half s value of the laptop coz of the loss on dedicated video card

0 Likes

Could possible be one more "disable hardware acceleration in web browsers and other software to fix strange issues" -thing.

Someone got rid of his issues by disabling MPO: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-you-can-do-better-and-more-stable-drivers/m-p/5510...

"KabouterPlop1

Guys the solution is disable MPO

MPO is only active on mainscreen.

MPO only supports 8 bit color depth setting 10 bit color depth disengages it.

Disabling MPO fixes blackscreens and stuttering issues even flickering issues.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm]
"OverlayTestMode"=dword:00000005

The lack of this key means its enabled

MPO is a functionality of DWM desktop windows manager on windows 10 and windows 11"

run sfc /scannow in console (as admin) to check system files  

0 Likes
Saemahmmed
Journeyman III

I have the same issue. I use HP Pro Book 450 G2 Laptop. The laptop has Intel® Core™ i5-5200U with Intel HD Graphics 5500 (2.2 GHz, up to 2.7 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 3 MB cache, 2 cores) and AMD Dynamic Switchable Graphics technology (AMD Radeon R5 M255) as switchable graphics. there is When playing any game or doing any work if the laptop use Intel graphics, it works fine, but if it switches graphics to AMD Redeon, the laptop hangs and becomes Frazee, it does not fix until Force Restart. The Graphics driver is updated recently I also used the old driver but I saw no benefit.

0 Likes