cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

digitalworld
Adept I

I found a hardware bug in RX 580, It results in NO display on HDMI with several brands of TV

I found a hardware bug in RX 580, It results in NO display on HDMI with several brands of TV。

The bug occurs when RX580 reads the TV's EDID(HDMI). RX580 Cannot read TV's EDID properly, then it will not display properly.

I tried to trace the DDC channel, and found that RX580 DDC timing is incorrect and violated the E-DDC specification.

ddc-e.png

You can see the timing above,RX580 has an Unexpected Stop condition during a read operation. some TV may not return correct EDID data.

The following is a correct timing.at the end of word offset , it's a start condition.

hope that amd can fix this bug.

屏幕截图 2020-10-20 232230.png

5 Replies
fsadough

1. Did you take into consideration that the display device might have sent the wrong information?
  2. Can you please list the name of all the TV brands you tested?
  3. Can you provide the EDID file?
  4. What is the make and model of your HDMI cable?
  5. Which HDMI input on the TV has been used?
  6. Under which OS and driver did you run your test?

1. I can confirm that the TV had sent a wrong EDID information to RX580. As I know , the first block of edid is starting with "00  ff ff ff ff ff 00“. when RX580  read the first block,the TV sent totally wrong data,it's not starting with “00  ff ff ff ff ff ff ”, and the checksum is wrong.

2.I do not remember the model name, I will post later if I get it.

3. I do not get a raw edid data. 

4. hdmi cable:  SAMZHE, VENTION, and I have tried several cables, the issue is the same. I think it's not a cable issue, because my TV and all cables work well with NViDa GTX1060.

5. All ports have the same issue.

6.OS: win10 x64bit Driver:win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-20.9.2

bad news, rx 590 has the same issue. edid read error and no display on hdmi port.

@fsadough wrote:
  1. Did you take into consideration that the display device might have sent the wrong information?
  2. Can you please list the name of all the TV brands you tested?
  3. Can you provide the EDID file?
  4. What is the make and model of your HDMI cable?
  5. Which HDMI input on the TV has been used?
  6. Under which OS and driver did you run your test?

0 Likes
R4dioS1lence
Journeyman III

Having similar problems with ASUS DUAL-RX580-O8G, with the HDMI signal just dying on some situations. Monitors in case are Philips 276E8VJSB/57 and a Philips 278G4DHSD/00. GPU is running most recent drivers (20.9.1). HDMI cable being used is the one supplied with the monitor. Using the first connection on both monitors and GPU. If there is a test suite I can run to log and look for this error and reproduce (if it's the same thing affecting me), please let me know.

mackbolan777
Forerunner

Wonder if that could explain the random crashes with my RX 5600 XT. I had it hooked up to an HDTV via HDMI but used my Yamaha RVX-371 A/V HDMI passthrough for 5.1 sound. I was getting random black screens, full crashes, but not all the time. I messed with different drivers, installing just the driver, nothing really worked. Then I decided to get a new monitor, mainly because of eye strain. Well, it turned out I had a 2 part issue, one the HDTV was 120Hz and the A/V had a passthrough limit of 60Hz. So I was only getting 60 FPS no matter what the frame counter would say. Of course my games were blurring, not tearing in the way I would expect. So the new monitor wouldn't display via HDMI properly going through the A/V, which is when I found out about the 60Hz issue. So I ran video via DP, which provided 185Hz (HDMI 144Hz), and ran an HDMI to my A/V for sound.

No biggie right? Well it still crashed a lot, I changed drivers besides doing every test you can name besides an oscilloscope. Well today I found when doing a "print screen" it showed 2 desktops. It was rendering video to the A/V as well as my monitor. So I ran 3D Mark TimeSpy to see if it impacts anything and it causes a 4 FPS hit. So I played BF4 without the HDMI, used my headset and my temps were more inline, game ran smoother, no crash. I need to test further but an HDMI/DP handshake issue makes sense. I ordered a sound card tonight, so 11/25/2020 I'll have it. 

I thought that the video card would be smart enough to know that the HDMI wasn't connected to a video source and only send audio. It might be a good feature for AMD to add for running surround when a DP is the main video only port and sound needs to be separate. It's still a theory but couldn't the signal get corrupted going into the A/V with both signals and only sound getting processed, yet Windows sees both displays? I'm hoping that's plausible, because otherwise I wasted $86 more on this 7 month old build that has done a lot of crashing. WHEA "processor core failure", "processor core/bus interconnect/corrected", "AMD software failure", "Unknown hardware critical failure". Running DDU, installing another driver or the same one it seems "fixed" then not. So far the most stable driver is 20.8.3. Stock, OC, settings, reinstall Windows, none matters. It'll pass Memtest 64 1000% coverage, Prime 95, OCCT (1 error today before disconnecting HDMI), clean DXDiag. This is the last shot. 20+ years building PC's. 90% were AMD builds and never had this much go on. If I were still in business my customers would have dumped me like a bad habit.

Specs: AsRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4S, Ryzen 5 3600X, 16GB TeamForce Extreeme DDR4 3733 RAM, Corsair RM 1000W PSU, Gigabyte Windforce RX 5600 XT Gaming OC(new BIOS), Corsair H110i GTX AIO, Seagate Compute 1TB SSD, DVD/RW, Sceptre 32" 1800R 1080p, Creative Labs Z-Blaster PCIe(coming)

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes