cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

sirbeanbag
Journeyman III

i changed cases with radeon vii, is it fried?

i used to get an out of range on my monitor and now i get nothing, ive looked all over and can't find similar problems ive tried everything i read and still nothing.

0 Likes
18 Replies
bassmek2
Adept II

seems as if u have wrong resolution set for monitor 

0 Likes

when i first installed it, it wasn't a problem.

0 Likes

Capture.PNG

0 Likes
khun_doug
Elite

If the board was fried, it likely would not register in BIOS. I always treat these cases (or questions) in the manner I would follow if it were happening to me. First I would check the simple things: power connectors from PSU to the GPU, and cable from the GPU to the monitor, and reseating the GPU. Keep in mind that just because a video cable worked for one thing does not mean the cable isn't defective. I would try another DP cable if you have one handy. I would go into the BIOS settings (assuming you get enough display to see the BIOS) and make sure the card is shown in the PCI slot. Make sure the display is on the proper input. If you have another monitor handy I would try it to see if you get any display activity.

If all that fails, or worse, you cannot even get a BIOS display, I would temporarily try adding a cheap GPU in a different slot and connecting that to the monitor. Once you are sure you can see BIOS then you can move to the next thing, bring up Windows in Safe Mode. The Safe Mode menu has a low resolution option and that should help to determine if the GPU is still working.

Lastly, if you can get something to display, either at lower resolution of using another GPU, I would use DDU to completely remove the driver and settings. Then try to connect the monitor to the R7 and go from there.

You did not mention what type of monitor and the supported refresh rate. Are you connecting via HDMI or DP?

0 Likes

i've all those things and nothing. i no BIOS expert but the cards were active. and i believe in safe mode there was still no display

0 Likes

I need to better understand the setup. If you can see BIOS then you are getting some type of display activity. So is the BIOS being displayed on the monitor connected to the R7, or is the monitor on a different GPU when you can see the BIOS?

My point is that if the monitor is connected to the R7 and that is where you are seeing BIOS, then it probably is not blown or damaged?

What is the resolution of the monitor, it's refresh rate, and how is it cabled?

0 Likes

Sorry, i could not see the BIOS on the R7, i am using my old RX 460 currently. 

The monitor is at 1920 x 1080 i believe its a 75hz and 1ms refresh, whatever was out of box. one monitor is HDMI hookup and the other is DisplayPort. 

0 Likes

Okay, so there are two monitors. What I would do first is to be sure that whatever output you are using the RX 460 shows up on the monitor that will not display output from the R7. The goal is to eliminate a bad input on the monitor, and a bad output on the R7. Once you know you have a good working display from the RX 460 on the monitor, then move that cable to a different output on the R7. If the monitor is using HDMI there is only one on the R7. In that event I would try to get a DP to a different input on the monitor and try the DP ports on the R7.

And as long as the RX 460 is working, you can use Adrenalin to examine the information about the dark monitor. Adrenalin accessing the R7 should show something about the monitor. If Adrenalin does not see the R7 then for sure the card is suspect. If Adrenalin does see the R7 then you should be able to see information about the monitor. If only one display is shown, no matter what combo of lines and input ports on the monitor, then the R7 is again suspect. I do know, from having dual monitors on my own setup, that my BIOS is only shown on one display. The OS needs to be up and running for the second display to be active.

0 Likes

could it be a motherboard issue now? I put my working card into a different slot on the board, booted up the PC and again 0 display.  

0 Likes

Yes it may well be an issue with the motherboard. What you could do is to get the PC back to an operational state and then look to see if there is a new firmware for the motherboard. Try flashing that, or even try flashing to current BIOS version again. Another trick that I have seen to be useful is to shutdown everything, disconnect the power, hold in the power button to make sure the PSU is drained, and then remove the CMOS battery to allow the motherboard to be completely wiped of any settings. Then reconnect the battery, power on, and then adjust the BIOS, and go from there. I have personally experienced corrupted BIOS that caused all sorts of odd issues. You can also check the manufacturer's site for instructions on how to completely erase a BIOS. That might clear up a slot issue or something else that is preventing things from initializing.

If that process fails, then it may be worthwhile to get a new motherboard. Sad to say, like everything in electronics, it can go bad.

0 Likes

well, i tried the BIOS update and still nothing no display from the card. what are my next steps? trying the card in another motherboard?

0 Likes

I would think that if you try two GPU boards in the same slot and neither can generate a signal to the monitor, including something as low-res as BIOS, then you have a motherboard issue.

0 Likes

its just strange that the old card works in the original slot that the new card was previously in. but still leads me to believe that you are right. how do i test my new card to make sure that doesnt have any issues either?

0 Likes
cplifj
Elite

Have you tried resetting the monitor itself ? done via the monitor menu. 

0 Likes

there is no monitor reset on my settings, it's all out of the box settings Asus VP278

0 Likes

Strange , i have seen a memory recall or factory reset function on every monitor i had.

0 Likes

there is a reset actually, i just never changed any settings from when i put the card in the old case and to this new one, nor changed anything from out of the box aside from maybe brightness. 

0 Likes
bassmek2
Adept II

im still trying to figure out what you mean by cases with radeon vii into a new mother board or changed the blower on the vid cardi would make sure u have adequate power to the card make sure the mobo has all power connectors attached also reset bios on mobo remove battery or use jumper to clear cmos ... how many watts is the psu sorry for posting so late but i still dont know if it was resolved

0 Likes