cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Copyright
Journeyman III

I cannot get SAM to enable no matter what I try!

I have a Gigabyte X570 itx and 6700XT.  I disabled CSM, enabled 4G/Resize bar support.  No matter what the AMD Application will not let me enable SAM.  I looked in GPUZ and it shows not supported but also shows BIOS settings are disabled.  They are enabled.  I use F33G bios.  I have F35 available to install and will try that next.  I am also doing a reload of Windows soon on a new WD SN850 drive.  I am hoping one of those will make it start working.  I am aware the benefit is small but it has become more of a challenge to get it working at this point.  Is there something else I could have missed?

0 Likes
4 Replies

What Processor do you have installed?

Here is AMD explanation on how to enable SAM in BIOS: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/smart-access-memory

This is the requirements for AMD SAM to be enabled:

In order for SAM to work on your PC, you must have certain hardware components.
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6000 series.
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5000 series or AMD Ryzen 3000 series (excluding Ryzen 5 3400G and Ryzen 3 3200G)
  • Motherboard: AMD 500 series.
  • Driver: Radeon Software 20.11.2 or newer.
  • BIOS: AMD AGESA 1.1.0.0 or newer.

I was able to get it working after doing a bios update.  The strange thing is the bios I had was only one back and plenty new enough for SAM to work.  Either way.  It now sees SAM and it works.

I also just updated my Asus BIOS to the latest version because it mentions it is ready for Windows 11.

To my surprise this BIOS version I can enable SAM on my computer but unfortunately I need BIOS to be in UEFI Mode and not CSM Mode. So SAM is not enabled until I change BIOS from Legacy to UEFI mode.

I probably will do that when I upgrade to Windows 11 on my computer.

By the way you can check in Windows if SAM is truly enabled by going to Device Manager -Display and then Right Click on the GPU and then click on "Properties" and then click on "Resources". If it shows "LARGE MEMORY RANGE" then SAM is enabled on your computer.

Even though I have SAM enabled in BIOS my GPU card in Device Manager doesn't show "Large Memory Range" which means it isn't enabled because I have BIOS in Legacy mode (CSM Mode).

0 Likes

Old thread, I know, but I just updated my GPU from a 6900XT to a 7900XTX and now my SAM is not and won't activate. I worked on my 6900XT but won't on my 7900XTX. Now, I could have sworn that it was working when I first setup my new card. I also check the bios updates and none of the descriptions mention anyhting about this. They do say AMD AGESA updates are included. That's the only thing I can think of. But why would it stop working even though it worked before? Edit: I figured it out. It was Fast Boot option on my mobo had somehow been disabled. So, 4 things to check on: 4G, CSM, Re-Size Bar and Fast Boot... Good grief.

0 Likes