cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mrt-wales
Adept I

I can't get 2560x1440 resolution even though the monitor and graphics card should support it. Help please!

Hi,

My basic set up is below. My new monitor is supposed to be 2560 x 1440 but only 1920 x 1080 shows in the Windows settings or the AMD Catalyst Control Centre settings. I've updated the drivers to what came with the monitor and so the monitor name shows in the windows settings, and all software updates have been installed. So, I'm out of ideas and it's driving me crazy.

Any help would be great!

Monitor Philips 328E9FJAB/00. Max resolution is 2560 x 1440

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 8570D, Processor AMD A8-6600 APU

Software AMD Catalyst Control Centre. Says "Maximum reported resolution: 1920x1080"

Connection is HDMI.

Edit: I've just looked up my motherboard code and it has the text below. It seems I need FM2+, whatever that is, but I don't know if I have this or FM2. But, maybe it would work with the right Dual Link cable....

1. 1 x D-Sub port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200
    2. 1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 2560x1600

* Support for 2560x1600 resolution requires both a monitor and cable that support Dual Link DVI.
* The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.

1. 1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160

* The resolution of 4096x2160 can be supported when using an FM2+ APU; the maximum resolution supported is 1920x1200 when using an FM2 APU.
* Support for HDMI 1.4a version.

1. Maximum shared memory of 2 GB
0 Likes
17 Replies

Seems like you have a FM2 APU.  "FM2" is the type of Motherboard socket used for processors.

From CPU World: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A8-Series%20A8-6600K%20-%20AD660KWOA44HL.html 

You have a Legacy APU which is not supported with AMD Driver updates anymore.  Here is the last AMD Driver update for your APU: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-series-processors/amd-a8-series-apu-for-desktops/a8-6600k-rad... 

One is from 2015 (WHQL) and the other is from 2016 (BETA).

Thanks a lot, I sort of expected that but hoped it wasn't. 

I do have a DVI to HDMI cable and tried that, but I still get the same limit. Based on lots of Googling it seems like dual DVI to dual DVI would work in theory, but my monitor only has HDMI and displayport options so I'd need to go from DVI to display port (or DVI to HDMI) but I've come to the conclusion that this is non-trivial if I want 2560x1440. Lots if cheap cables or adaptors exist but they are clear that the max resolution won't exceed 1920x1080.

So, I think I have to deal with it as is or get a new PC. Mine is almost 5 years old so I guess it may be time as it struggles to play 4k videos shot on my phone and the processor is slow (I think?) by modern standards.

hunterxiv
Adept I

When I first built my PC, and had gotten a new monitor, mine too was stuck at 1920X1080.  What I figured out, was that you need a DVI cable to run at 2560X1440p.  If your monitor has a DVI port, and your graphics card has a DVI port, you are good to go.  HDMI unfortunately will not work for 2560X1440p gaming (Unless you have the FM2+ as stated above).  Make sure you have a DVI to DVI cable, and that both your monitor and GPU support DVI connections if you have just the FM2.

Yeah it's annoying as I checked that I could output 2560x1440 before getting the monitor and didn't worry that it just had displayport and HDMI options. At least I know though, so I've stopped faffing around trying to get it to work, and I was not far off upgrading my PC anyway so this gives me the motivation to do it now.

0 Likes
axar
Journeyman III

I had the same issue with a radeon 7600 Series graphic card. It could be fixed by applying a patch to the amd driver:

AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher 1.4.7 download | SourceForge.net 

Dude!!!  You're my hero!

I have two brand new 27 inch 2560x1440 monitors I ripped open on Christmas morning, and beat my head against my desk trying to get them to run at full resolution on my aging HD 5670 card, but no matter what, they wouldn't show the full size.  I ran  the patch you suggested and rebooted, and to my disbelief I saw 2560x1440 show up on the DL-DVI  monitor.  I moved  the second monitor to the HDMI port, and to my astonishment, I saw the second monitor show up as 2560x1440 as well.   I had to register here just to give you a HUGE THANK YOU.

0 Likes

Same here. Quick patch for my ancient MSI 890GXM65 (with an Althlon, of course, no trendy Phenom for me with an equally quaint Radeon HD 5450 and my new monitor comes in at 2560x1440. I use it as a secondary Win10 machine when I need one, so I have no idea about performance, but it sure looks great.

Thanks!

0 Likes

@axar  - I too have just signed up to simply say you are a legend! Was having the same issue with my older Radeon 5870 card having added a 27" Dell 2560x1440 Monitor to my existing 24" Dell 1920x1200 to provide dual screens for my office PC - was tearing my hair out why I couldn't get anything better than 1920x1080 showing over HDMI! Cheers.

0 Likes

Dude thank you so much man. I made account just to type this. This patch is a life saver wholey I got my old And 7500 series to run 2k you saved me money for an old monitor thank you so much man. Guide for the patch download. Link above. Run the application then hit yes when it says limits were found. Then reboot ez. Then re open and control centre  

Thanks again dude life saver @axar 

0 Likes

Bro I just register to thank you, I'm using a Hp monitor with 3440x1440 resolution. I installed the patch and restart, and it was magic. You are the best!!! 

0 Likes

Great for Windows. Any suggestions for Linux?

0 Likes

Also want to thank you for posting this patch. 2560x1440 is a big difference from 1920x1080!

0 Likes

Registered just to thank you man. I have a 6670 as well and it worked out brilliantly. Only issue is that at 144 hz the screen comes and goes. I was able to go as high as 75 hz at 2k. I don't play games anyway so still an awesome solution.

0 Likes

I also registered to say thank you. 

And shame to AMD that can't fix it in updated drivers and software. This is the one and only place, where I can solve my issue. 

0 Likes

You saved my life! It works on my laptop A6-3400M with Radeon™ HD 6520G.

0 Likes
trymph
Journeyman III

@axar..............Just got a great deal @micro Center for a Samsung UR590C 32" curved max rated for 3840x2160. Thought my "great deal" @ 1/2 price was for nothing as my HDMI (tried a display port cable too) connected ATI Radeon 5700HD from 10+ years ago only showed resolution choices up to 1920x1080 in windows. Checked specs for the ATI and updated all drivers and still no joy and no advise from Micro tech chats. 

Just checking in to say THANKS!! maxed out with 2560 x 1440 and soooooooooo happy looks great saved a box from the recycle bin asas......I was just trying to buy screen realestate and thought would have to go back to the little sandbox..........luv you man!

Regards

trymph

0 Likes
Stuntman
Journeyman III

Hi to everybody,

I have the same situation here, but before running the patch I would like to ask if somebody knows that it could work. My case is an Acer XC-605 from 2014 with an R5 235 card and a i7-4790. The AMD Catalyst Control Center shows that my card is an AMD Radeon HD 7000 series, which makes me confused because I don't know if is the same that the R5 235 I have (I opened the PC). The computer has been always connected to a 1080p monitor with the HDMI cable, but now I'd like to run a new QHD monitor (2560 x 1440).

It seems that the processor could do it but when I connect the new monitor I'm blocked at 1920x1080. This is what is shown at the processor specs: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/80806/intel-core-i74790-processor-8m-cache-up-t...

Stuntman_0-1692948460675.png

I've never updated the drivers (never needed to do so) and looking for information I found this thread, which I'd like to know if could be a solution to my case and, above all, not performing anything risky to my PC.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes