cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

aprilgr
Journeyman III

I can only play games at 60Hz because my CRT is not recognized.

I have AMD Radeon HD 7750 with Lacie electron blue IV (maybe the best CRT screen with vivider colors than any lcd I've seen). The problem is that my windows 7 don't recognize the screen and write it as "non plug and ply monitor". I have tried drivers and everything I could find through search in google, but nothing worked. I can't choose more than 60Hz, although my screen supports 85Hz at all resolutions till 2048x1536. They only thing I managed to do is set a custom resolution (via Radeon settings) at 85Hz. BUT! At full screen games the Hz fall down to 60 again and make me very dizzy. So I can't play games at all! Please tell me, is there a solution to this problem or not? If I buy a VGA to HDMI cable would it help to recognize my screen? If I buy an older or newer AMD GPU will I have the same problem?

0 Likes
14 Replies
qwixt
Forerunner

If you go to Lacie's website, under support, there is a link for the 22" monitor. There you can download the windows drivers. It's an INF file which you can install. Sometimes windows does not set monitor type correctly. You can try going into device manager, and locating your monitor that displays as non-plug and play. You can manually update the driver for the monitor.

Device manager -> Right-click monitor -> Select properties -> Update driver -> Browse computer -> Pick from a list of available drivers on computer

This should allow you to set the monitor type from the inf file you installed.

I tried that, but the only models windows show are:

- Generic Non-PnP

- Generic PnP Monitor.

I send you a picture to see it yourself.

0 Likes

Also, I tried the option "Have disk..." and I picked the inf file myself,

but it seems the driver is not compatible 64bit windows. I can't find an

e-mail of Lacie company that works. That's a same, because even if somebody

give me a new monitor for free, I don't want to change it.

Maybe I need to buy another disk and install windows 32bit just for

games...

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 12:13 AM Ευαγγελία Μπόμπολα <lilian.crt@gmail.com>

0 Likes

I noticed that all the HD 7750 doesn't seem to have any VGA output ports.

If you are not using a ACTIVE  DVI or HDMI to VGA  adapter that could be a reason why your monitor is not being correctly identified.

ACTIVE HDMI/DVI/DP to VGA correctly converts the output signal to VGA before reaching the monitor. So it is more compatible than an PASSIVE HDMI/DVI/DP to VGA adapter that doesn't convert the output signal before reaching the monitor.

If you are using a ACTIVE VGA Adapter then you probably need to contact Lacie Support for a x64 Monitor Driver compatible with Windows version you have installed.

EDIT: This thread in this forum suggests that there are no x64 bit Windows 7 Drivers. To use the Generic Driver from Windows 7. As for the "Softness" issue one of the User stated he changed the VGA cable to a thicker cable and the viewing improved. Lacie Electron 22 Blue IV DRIVER! | Photo.net Photography Forums .

I have a strong feeling if you install a Active HDMI/DVI/DP to VGA Adapter your Monitor will work better or maybe even normally.

I use a VGA to VGA cable. My card has a VGA (blue) slot, like the one in

the pic.

I will buy a ACTIVE HDMI to VGA cable and see what happens. Thanks.

0 Likes

Don't waste your money on a adapter if you have a VGA to VGA cable attached. I didn't know your GPU Card had a VGA Port.  The Adapter was only if your GPU Card DIDN'T have a VGA Port.

I would contact LaCie Support and see what they say. An ADAPTER isn't going to change anything except maybe rule out a GPU VGA Port as being bad.

So don't waste 20 or 30.00 dollars on a Active Adapter.

Try this and see if Windows 7 installs the correct "Native" Monitor driver.

Go to DEVICE MANAGER and click on "MONITOR". Uninstall  all instances of any Monitor drivers (generic and non-generic).  After you uninstall all the Monitor Drivers in DEVICE MANAGER. Go to the top Menu and click on "SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES"  This will then make Windows install the Monitor Driver again. See if it makes any difference.

If you want to see if your CRT will work with a different GPU card. Connect your CRT to someone else's computer and see if it is recognized. Also see what Windows is installed if recognized.

If it isn't recognized in another computer it probably means your CRT is not completely compatible with Windows.

Try using a different Monitor that isn't CRT and see if it works correctly. If it does, than your CRT is just too old for Windows to run correctly unless LaCIE has some updated Monitor drivers for your CRT.

OK! Good to know, because I was thinking (before you) if the adaptor is the

problem.

0 Likes

I contacted Lacie and they told me that the driver is probably for 32bit

windows.

So I need a disk and to install dual boot system.

But, before I have all this trouble, I want to ask you a question.

You have a way to set a custom resolution (and Hz) for the desktop though

Radeon settings. This custom resolution doesn't work with games. Why you

don't have a way to set a custom resolution for games too or to set the Hz

for each resolution a game may run?

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 10:10 PM Ευαγγελία Μπόμπολα <lilian.crt@gmail.com>

0 Likes

There is a very small free program called Custom Resolution Utility. With that program you can set any type of custom resolution on your monitor or TV.

I attached it to this post. Just click on it to download.

Custom Resolution Utility Review

Sven Sorensen

“Overrides AMD and NVIDIA settings and create custom resolutions”
A review of Custom Resolution Utility by Sven Sørensen

Custom Resolution Utility is a small freeware utility which can tweak your NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards to create higher resolutions.

As a portable application, CRU does not require installation and can be run without installation.

The layout of the program provides a list of currently supported resolutions for your monitor with the option to add new ones.

The application isn't perfect, but if your monitor can support higher and/or different resolutions from what's displayed in your graphics control panel, Custom Resolution Utility will create EDID values in the registry so that you may select the resolutions in your graphics settings.

Currently supported GPUs are limited to some AMD/ATI and NVIDIA cards, as Intel GPUs are not supported.

It's worth pointing out that you should have an idea of what your monitor and GPU are capable of. If anything goes wrong, the download comes with an app called "reset-all.exe" which can be run to revert any changes you have made with Custom Resolution Utility.

Features and highlights

• Detailed resolutions are the preferred way to add custom resolutions
  • The first detailed resolution is considered the preferred or native resolution
  • HDMI is treated as single-link DVI unless an HDMI support data block is defined in the first extension block
  • HDMI limits depend on the graphics card
  • AMD/ATI's driver also listens to the TMDS clock limit in the HDMI support data block

0 Likes

Sadly, this doesn't work for me (BTW I have Windows 7 Enterprise Service

Pack 1). It works for a while, then it "stucks", like it's trying to change

resolutions again and over again and it fails. It blinds me and I have to

restart the PC. The same happens when I enter a game with different

resolution or refresh rate and if it doesn't happen when I enter it (when

it has same resolution maybe), it happens when I exit it.

I found this post:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/refresh-rate-limit-at-60-hz-unable-to-set-more-crt/2053be2c-e17a-4b36-94fa-f269f0ff7fe2

I downloaed MonInf, but I don't know what .inffile to create.

0 Likes

I figured out that NVidia control panel lets you change the resolution (and

Hz) on games too (

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?47143-Increase-your-screen-refresh-rate-(Hz)-with-these-7-steps).

So, if a new NVidia card is going to solve my problem and upgrade my pc

too, why not? Maybe GTX 1050Ti is a good choice. I'm going to need a VGA to

DVI (or HDMI) cable anyway, so maybe I can buy it first and see if 0,1%

solves my problem.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 11:42 PM Ευαγγελία Μπόμπολα <lilian.crt@gmail.com>

0 Likes

it is important that if you are going to be using a DVI-D - VGA Adapter that you buy one that is "ACTIVE" and not "PASSIVE".  Active VGA Adapters convert the digital signal from DVI-D into analog VGA signal before reaching your monitor. This makes it the most compatible adapter for your PC.

0 Likes

Your Pictures doesn't show the VGA cable connected to the GPU Card. It just shows a Picture of Device Manager Driver.

It doesn't show the GPU Card's Video Ports outputs.