Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mOnsta
Adept I

Huge performance drop on RX 7900 when opening obs or discord

Hello everyone,

last week I received my first AMD card ever and I run into some trouble now and then. I'm having about 100 fps on ultra settings in Red Dead Redemption 2 in 1440p. But as soon as I just open programms like obs studio and/or discord, the frames drop to 65ish without any recording or streaming. This can't be normal. I checked this with my old GTX1080 and this doesn't happen.

Does anybody know what could be the issue here? Is it driver problems? I can't accept this behaviour and if I am not able to fix this, I will send this card back.

13 Replies
chickenpoodlesoup
Journeyman III

I noticed this same issue myself.  If you disable the preview window in OBS you can claw back a few frames.  Having the built in chat box open really tanks my fps as well.  I'm guessing it's the built in hardware scheduler doing what it's designed to do.  Maybe it's too aggressive at sharing resources, I'm not an expert though and I'm only guessing.  I haven't dropped frames due to rendering lag once, not even when the GPU is at 100 usage, which is impressive to me.  So something is doing it's job correctly 

0 Likes
mOnsta
Adept I

I have some more details now. Its not only an issue with obs alone.
I see the same behaviour when I'm watching a youtube video on my 2nd monitor or when discord is running foreground on my 2nd monitor.
It does not cause encoding framedrops, but just loosing raw fps in gaming.

0 Likes
chickenpoodlesoup
Journeyman III

Yes I've noticed the same here.  I think the issue is having hardware accelerated programs open on a second monitor.  My GPU usage ramps up dramatically when this happening.  Makes me miss my old 2 pc streaming setup. 

0 Likes

it wouldnt make a difference as i have a 2 stream pc set up and obs tanks your frames simply by running not even recording or streaming . its bad 

0 Likes
mOnsta
Adept I

Can't confirm that. My gpu usage ingame is alread 100%. And I already disabled hardware acceleration for my browser and discord and it's still there.

0 Likes
gigoorin
Journeyman III

Same here bud. Discord screen sharing or obs open with preview fps tanks/stutters.

TheBenArts
Journeyman III

Same issue. What's more concerning is just having videos playing on a 2nd monitor is causing similar issues. Have you had any update on what it is ? I originally thought it's just their encoder that's horrible, but that doesn't line up with their inbuilt adrenalin experience, so it's most likely a software issue rather than hardware.

0 Likes

Its an known driver issue. But somehow after 2 driver updates and mention it in the known issue list on the driver update, they are still not able to fix it after like 2 months...and I also found out, that they had similar issues on older gen cards in the past. Don't know what they are doin...

0 Likes
Xseasonsssx
Journeyman III

Have you tried to switch your OBS source from Display capture to Game capture? It made a difference for me even when I haven’t started recording yet,

0 Likes

this doesn't work i have tried it 

0 Likes
lovely02
Journeyman III

Is it possible to change your OBS source from Display capture to Game capture from the OBS source settings? Even though I haven't started recording yet, it has already made a significant difference for me.

0 Likes
X3nn0n
Journeyman III

I recently faced an issue exactly matching this with my dual-monitor setup. I am running a 7800X3D & 6900XT combo, and when doing any streaming (discord or OBS) my game stutters (confirmed through Adrenalin performance frame time metric). I checked all my chipset & video drivers, and they were all up to date. When disconnecting/powering off the second monitor the issue disappears.

I have found a solution for my problem at least. I connected my second monitor to the motherboard instead to utilize the CPU onboard graphics & I am no longer facing any issues!

Although this is an old thread, I hope this helps anyone with the same issue as this was the only AMD Thread showing for me when looking up my issue online.

0 Likes
rat6vortex
Journeyman III

Hey folks, I've got same issue with Discord. Once I launch PC and play e.g. Helldivers 2 game runs perfectly with 95-100% utilization of GPU @105 average FPS 1440p. But once my friends join and we start to use discord FPS drops to ~70FPS, then to about 65FPS-60FPS. Basically what helps is a restart of PC only.

My previous GPU was from NVidia, so I didn't know about DDU before I installed 7900XTX Nitro+, but as soon as I got this issue I've used DDU and reinstalled drivers. Current version of Adrenaline is 24.3.1

Configuration of PC: Ryzen 5700X, X570 Gygabite Aorus Elite, 64Gb Kingston Fury RAM, 1300wt power supply, 7900XTX Nitro+, I have one monitor. 

Was there any solution found meanwhile from the start of thread?

0 Likes