Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Virtuanaut
Adept I

HP Reverb on AMD PC (570 Aorus Elite, Rizen 3700, Aorus Rx 5700XT) not working

This is what i posted on HP community:

Finally the reverb G2 reached me. But no luck, it wont work on my system (570 Aorus Elite, Rizen 3700, Aorus Rx 5700XT). After connecting error 7-14 memory management, then no bootup at all/system stuck, windows even in broke mode. Tried everything, that is: Win-update, Driver deeinstallation even with DDU, latest driver from AMD (v12-1), USB powermagament off, powermanagement in BIOS with C1 off, BIOS update in Mobo and graphics, tried all USB-Ports, even powered USB-Hub. After that it was possible for one time to launch hp setup of the reverb g2. But at startup wmr BSOD again. BUT: changed to my older PC (Z77A-GD65, Intel Xeon E3 1245 v2, NVidia 1070) the G2 would run without a flaw and even without config, so unit works / no hardware fail. But i want to run it on my new shiny and lighning fast AMD system, which fails. I suspect USB driver problems, since PC runs with reverb plugged into displayport without usb-connection. Please verify and solve this huge problem on newest hardware. Greetings to all with the same or other probs.

0 Likes
30 Replies
tetrodoxin
Journeyman III

Same problem here! X470 ROG Crosshair VII, Ryzen 5950X, Radeon 6900XT. Instant bluescreen (memory_management) as soon as both DP and USB of the Reverb G2 are connected.

Swapped the Radeon with an older GTX 1080 Ti (otherwise, same system), no problems there.

(this is what i wrote to HP, plz change hp for AMD...)

ok guys, want to give you an update of that crappy piece(s) o sht

I ordered an usb card allegly helping to speak mandarin or whatever to that hp binos: in a german video they said the inatek card with fresco logic chipset should bring ease. no help. but a real piece of chinese craftmanship, i suspect a condensator to be broken off - not my fault. it kinda worked but u wouldnt trust it too with "cold soldering" in place where a condensator should be... there was another point of soldering that made me suspicious. so i wouldnt recommend to go for that one.

So i ordered the next card, this time a renkforce (kinda no name label over here in the old europe. sry but i never would have figured that i would support that view on us by ole don rumsfeld - in the end he is right... thx to angie, the kaiseress without cloathes hehe). Ok that one looked build well back in the land of the middle, and it has a renesas chipset, 72020 i think, but i didnt verify on assembly - now it is in there. it says renesas in the device management console anyways. ok, the big moment... Boot up, hopes rise. no crash, great. Firstly i used it with a powered hub and without powered headset. that didnt do it. so powered the glasses as well by their own powersource and tada, glasses recognized. BUT i had not plugged in the dp cable yet. For this joke i even bought a separate dp cable with 8k 1.4 specs (to fool the graphics). Glasses send me a one finger salute with 7-14 comment. Ok byebye dp cable, plugged reverb into the 5700xt directly AND U WONT BELIVE IT !!!! sry  - of course BSOD again. But so far i changed my mind and am now convinced, that it is the bloody graphics card that discriminizes the reverb g2... USB really doesnt seem to be the reason for crashing.

And to you, my friends of AMD, listen up: i am working as a doctor in times of corona every day, hadnt a day of sick leave last year, drive about 2,5 hours a day AND spend HOURS for fixing your device in that small time that is left of the day. I dont give up that easy since i started games and especially simulations (for which i bought the reverb) back in the days of c64.  And i think id deserve a plug not pray device for the bucks. I will tell AMD as well, no mistake bout that (here i go). But when i look at all the messages here and elsewhere i feel like doing YOUR job. So a little appreciation would be nice. No, i didnt call for a chat with one nice hp guy/girl/diverse yet, maybe later. But if you had an solution to offer, i guess you would have provided it to me.

To all others, keep on trying and plz post if you made advances in that matter. Greetings from the eifel mountains and a happy new year (anyways)!

According to other threads concerning the HP Reverb VR set, AMD has acknowledged that they have a known problem with this specific VR set.

I just took a look at the latest AMD Driver for the 5700XT and it mentions that the issue with HP Reverb has been fixed: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-12-1

Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.12.1 Highlights Support For

• Radeon™ RX 6900 Series
  • Cyberpunk 2077™

Fixed Issues

• Gaming applications can sometimes get stuck running at lower than expected graphics clocks on Radeon RX 6800 series graphics products.
  • The HP Reverb G2 VR headset may fail to sync or may have a black screen when run with Radeon RX 6800 series graphics products.
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six® Siege may experience corruption in Hybrid Graphics scenarios when using the Vulkan API on an extended display.
  • Crossfire™ may experience issues when attempting to change the games resolution to a 16:9 ratio.
  • Performance Metrics Overlay and the Performance Tuning tab incorrectly report higher than expected idle clock speeds on Radeon™ RX 5700 series graphics products.

It hasn't been fixed for others at least not 7-14 and other related issues with x570 chipsets (see link) as well as with B550 chipsets ( see link). HP officials says that they are still investigating this with AMD (see link).

I would like to know what's is the outcome so far ?

BSOD's haven't been fixed either. Somebody on Reddit replied to me and states he doesn't have issues with a reference model 6900XT and G2 HMD. As my 6900XT your 5700XT is also not a reference model guessing by the Aorus? 

Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/kxxkpz/6900xt_reverb_g2_issues/

I filed a bug report and there's already someone looking in to it. I hope it'll get fixed soon.

Same issue as many of you all. Plug in the HP Reverb G2 Display Port, and then to the USB3. The Windows Mixed Reality software launches, and right as video is about to go the the headset my computer reboots. 

System is an X570 MB (Asus Prime Pro), Powercolor 5700xt, CPU 3700, 32GB Ram, M.2 HD.

Have tried the following and sure I am leaving some things out.

1. Change PCIE from 4 to 3 
  2. Tried add-in powered USB 3.0 card (using motherboard USB 3.0, front USB, and USB-C did not seem to work much at all, so continued on with the add-in card)
  3. Uninstalled AMD chipset and GPU drivers and installed back (Also, used DDU for uninstall later)
  4. Installed all latest drivers for the chipset and video card
  5. Tried older drivers
  6. Validated Windows 10 was 100% up to date
  7. Tried external powered external USB 3.0 hub to the MB USB 3.0, and acted like the add-in card. Plug in the USB cable of the headset, MWR launches, and as soon as video looks like it will start...reboot.
  8. Tried fresh install of Windows 10 on a new hard drive. Installing only all Windows updates and latest chipset and GPU drivers from AMD.
  9. Disabled XMP for my memory
  10. Updated BIOS
  11. Tried all Display Ports on the video card.

Looking at the memory.dmp file I see the below, which looks like a driver issue from AMD. I have truncated some top reduce size, so if anyone wants the entire error let me know.

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1a)
    # Any other values for parameter 1 must be individually examined.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000004477, A driver tried to write to an unallocated address in the
	user space of the system process. Parameter 2 contains the
	address of the attempted write.
Arg2: 0000000174ad4bb8 Arg3: 0000000000000000 Arg4: 0000000000000000

TRAP_FRAME:  ffffd481b55249d0 -- (.trap 0xffffd481b55249d0)NOTE: The trap frame does not contain all registers.Some register values may be zeroed or incorrect.

iopl=0         nv up ei pl nz na pe nc
amdkmdag+0x1c366d5:
fffff806`259c66d5 884878          mov     byte ptr [rax+78h],cl ds:00000001`74ad4bb8=??
Resetting default scope
YMBOL_NAME:  amdkmdag+1c366d5

MODULE_NAME: amdkmdag

IMAGE_NAME:  amdkmdag.sys

STACK_COMMAND:  .thread ; .cxr ; kb

BUCKET_ID_FUNC_OFFSET:  1c366d5

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x1a_4477_amdkmdag!unknown_function

I also called HP, and worked with them (They were surprisingly good to work with), they stated the issue is occurring when the AMD 5700 xt addresses the CPU the crash occurs. 

I emailed AMD, however, I have not received a response yet :(. 

Hello guys.

I thank you all for participating and replying and want to give a little update on my efforts. Took the time and changed graphic cards between PC's: aorus 5700 xt flew out of the new rig and into the old i7 in exchange for an nvidia 1070 which went into the new rig (aorus 570 board). Results are: new rig (570) works with 1070 and reverb G2! BUT old rig recognizes HMD reverb g2 and crashes when HMD is inserted. So its the 5700xt and/or drivers! Unfortunately the 1070 lacks power for the HMD (which i have to test, did just the proof of concept). I thought that might interested (correctly? dunno) you.

Greets

Stefan

It's an unfortunately wildly known issue at this point. There's several threads on here with regards to AMD RX 6800, 6800 XT, 6900 XT and various VR's not working. HP, Valve, none seem to work properly or at all and like you said, HP confirmed it's AMD's issue. Will they fix it? Hopefully or there will be many going to the Green team. Personally, I don't mess with VR, just 32" 1080p, so no issues thus far with my RX 6800.

Thanks for doing work with Covid, that's a far worse worldwide problem. Stay safe!

"It worked before you broke it!"

I received a response from AMD on 1/21 asking for some information and that they would be sending to upper level support. I sent the requested info to them the same day, but still waiting. Is it typical for AMD to take this long? My confidence in AMD is dropping fast. When video cards are available, my preferred choice of 6800xt is switching to 3080. I went from an Nvidia 1070 to this 5700xt, and now wishing I would have stuck with Nvidia. Customer service is typically how I decide who I am loyal to, and this isn't helping AMD much :(. I may be past my return window for my Reverb G2.

Thank you a lot for the info on the amd drivers so i can spare trying.

BTW, what purpose did you get the G2 for? Flightsims maybe? That was my reason.

Greetz

0 Likes

@Virtuanaut . A mixture of things. I stink at MS Flight Sim, but want to see what that looks like. I also am big into sim racing, and want to try VR again. I tried it with the Oculus CV1, but just didn't enjoy it like many others did. I looked at the Oculus Quest 2 and Rift S, but I refuse to buy a Facebook product, and that lead me to the HP Reverb G2. If I ever get it working I will be trying it out on the following items in order.... Automobilista 2, MS Flight Sim, Half Life Alyx. I don't own Half-Life Alyx yet, but if AMD ever fixes the issue with the drivers, I will own it after the next sale. If AMD never fixes it, there is a good chance I will become an Intel/Nvidia supporter. It pains me to type that, but a product is only as good as the support of the company behind it. 

0 Likes

Why go Intel? At least the AMD CPU's seem to be fairing well and defeat the Intel in nearly every test. My 3600x beats the i9-9900k in single threaded performance as it does in most benchmarks. AMD CPU and Nvidia for graphics work fine. Intel is not affiliated with Nvidia as many think, it's just a common combo.

0 Likes

It is not about who beats who. It is about who can stand behind their product. I am having an issue with an AMD graphics card as you can see in this thread, however, poor customer service will affect how I perceive both the CPU and GPU. The good news is I live near a place that typically has good deals on Intel CPUs/Motherboards, so have been looking online at their stuff. However, I am under quarantine for another 9 days :(, so can't pick anything up for a bit. They allow local pickup only. 

0 Likes

FYI...No change with driver 21.2.1. If anyone else sees anything new please post. Finding an Nvidia graphics card is as probably as finding a Unicorn right now. So kind of stuck like many of you all are.

0 Likes

I Have the exact same issue. BSOD. Tried everything details in another thread.

Z490 Maximus 12 Hero Wifi 10900k

6800xt Merc.

Will return G2 if not fixed soon.

All the VR stuff is having some issue as of late. Steam Link, your Reverb, so you could return it or wait until it gets fixed. I'm sure AMD won't take too long with this many complaints about something that should work correctly and is very popular. Put a bug report in via the AMD Radeon software about the problem so the driver team gets it.

0 Likes

@mackbolan777 . I hope you are right. I see this issue as early as May/June of last year, and people still having problems 8 mos later :(. I wonder if the increase is because the HP Reverb G2 has become more available as of late. I know I purchased this unit because I don't want to support Oculus/Facebook. I spend double the money, and having double the headache ;).

0 Likes

One can only wonder. I support my wallet and stay away from VR, lol. As you can see even the 6000 cards aren't working right or at all with the VR stuff. Some have gotten some success from the Steam Link? I think that's what their VR is called. Even that is a "game" to get working with an AMD card. I just tell people to hammer AMD with bug reports until they fix it. Do it in the Radeon software so it goes directly to the driver team.

I have created multiple tickets with AMD, HP and XFX. And provided all the info they needed.

I'm not expecting a response from AMD in here. But perhaps if there is a user solution that pops up. 

They all blame each other. XFX blames AMD driver issue, AMD blames HP, HP blames AMD. 

I did just notice a new chipset driver dropped yesterday.... So will try that tonight.

Sadly ....but expected do luck with the new chipset driver.

0 Likes

I was able to picked up a returned RTX 3070. Installed and VR worked great. However, the card was returned for a reason. It doesn't run long before problems show up, but ran long enough to test out VR. Card will be returned, but now on the look out for a good 3070, as it worked and the G2 looked fantastic. 

AMD needs to get their house in order, or all the headway they have been making will be lost :(. 

0 Likes

Ive sold my 6800xt and got a 3090. Problem solved.

Looks like the latest patch is sill a no go for Reverb G2 support. Good thing is AMD closed my case without any assistance <sarcasm>.

0 Likes

Let us know how a new RTX3070 works. If that fails, you have an underlying issue, not GPU specific. Tell your story to @joecrow so he gets the idea that AMD support is not very efficient.

0 Likes

Some restored faith in AMD...

The latest driver (21.2.3) fixed the issues...sort of. I have had games crash and received error 7-7 messages , but at least it doesn't give me a BSOD. The motherboard USB still doesn't work, but add in card seems to works until I get the 7-7 message which seems to be a possible issue with USB. My add in card has 5 slots, and one of the 5 seems to be better than the others.

Error codes - Enthusiast Guide | Microsoft Docs

Windows Mixed Reality is having trouble connecting to your headset. Try plugging your headset into a different USB port and temporarily unplugging any other USB devices connected to your PC.

The Mixed Reality headset driver failed to initialize the firmware on your headset. This can be transient error. Try unplugging and replugging in your headset and make sure you're using a quality power USB hub. If that doesn't work:

• Temporarily unplug USB devices and peripherals you don't need to run Windows Mixed Reality.
  • Remove all extension cables.
  • Check Windows Updates to ensure you're running the latest available headset driver.

0 Likes

There's a bug report from AsRock that may apply if you updated the BIOS to the 1.2.0.0 that just came out for nearly all boards. Causes unknown USB slot failure. Current workaround is to flash back to the last known working BIOS until it's fixed. The other thing is this new driver says to leave the USB out of the headset until after the driver installs. USB add-in cards area crap shoot and the more expensive, the better they are. Assuming you went with a PCIe type with 3.0 or 3.1 ports. The really good cards have a power plug. But I would look at the BIOS revision and try reinstalling the GPU driver with the USB disconnected from the headset.

0 Likes

in case u didnt hear it already. the latest amd radeon driver does the trick, at least for my 5700xt on the old board. DCS with Reverb G2 and no problemo. Have to test it on my new rig with 570 board in combo. at least no BSOD till now.

greets

@kman83 Create a ticket with AMD if you can. The more people that contact them with the issue the better chance it will get fixed. You may want to include what is displayed from your memory.dmp file. To view this download "WinDbg" from the windows store. Copy your memory.dmp file to your desktop (I have had trouble opening this from C:\Windows, but you may not). You will be asked to allow permissions. Say yes to this. Open WinDbg and navigate to the file to open. On the right window pane choose test that says "!analyze -v". It will be underlined in blue. This will give you the readout of what is wrong. I posted my output early. It was condensed, but this may help AMD. I have still not received any help from AMD other than that would pass the info along.

Example:

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1a)
    # Any other values for parameter 1 must be individually examined.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000004477, A driver tried to write to an unallocated address in the
	user space of the system process. Parameter 2 contains the
	address of the attempted write.
Arg2: 000000019df220b8
Arg3: 0000000000000000
Arg4: 0000000000000000
SYMBOL_NAME:  amdkmdag+1c36c75

MODULE_NAME: amdkmdag

IMAGE_NAME:  amdkmdag.sys

You're posting in the wrong area if you want AMD's attention. You need to contact the corporate office for that or the manufacturer of your card. CPU's same deal. AMD will RMA anything they make or their partner GPU maker's will honor whatever warranty they put on their stuff. The HP Reverb is having issues across the board and it's supposedly a driver thing. I would put a bug report in via the AMD software and that's as far as it goes or go with Intel/Nvidia, whatever. We here are fellow PC enthusiast's, builders, just people trying to help others and not AMD employees. We members are more or less "fan boy's" of AMD so we stick to their products and promote their use. However, we will not lose sleep if one wants to change whom they build off of. At least I won't. Good luck with the other team.

0 Likes

We aren't AMD employees so not to be mean, but threats to return to Nvidia carry no weight here. Just thought I'd mention that so you don't waste your time thinking any AMD staff with customer relations ever reads this area. They don't.

As to length of time for a response to a technical difficulty with a driver, which seems to be the issue with anything VR right now, even the 6000 series have a lot of complaints, it can take a long time. 

They will fix the VR issue, I'm sure. When? Who knows, but hopefully soon because there are many buying the 3080 just because of this. When it is fixed, the 3080 will fall to the RX 6800 XT easily in performance if you have the other components in your system matched well. Meaning a 5000 series CPU (5600X is a good gaming choice, 5900X if you need more cores for work as well), an X570 chipset motherboard, 16GB of DDR4 3600-4000 RAM (CPU dependent), an SSD, and a quality PSU. The CPU and chipset are critical to be able to use the SAM technology the card offers. Which you list as having the building blocks of simply a CPU upgrade to get SAM working, if you go to a 6800 XT.

So if waiting for the driver fix is too much and you decide to go to Nvidia, there's nothing I can say that will prevent you from doing that. Can AMD's customer service be better? I would hope that's on their agenda, because I do agree it's lacking in many ways. There are so many VR complaints, and this is the first I've seen in regards to a 5000 series and VR, that I'm sure they're in the information gathering stage of things to make a fix for all. All of the VR related complaints have been for the 6000 series until now.

You might want to try reverting to the 20.8.3 or 20.9.2 driver to see if the VR then works.

0 Likes