f488_pista
Journeyman III

HP laptop does not detect AMD Radeon 6770 in Windows 10

Laptop details:

HP dv6-6173cl
Windows 10 Home Build 18363
i7-2670QM, 8gb RAM
Video cards: Intel HD 3000 and AMD Radeon 6770

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 (originally W7), my laptop can't seem to detect/use the AMD video card. Both cards are listed under Device Manager but only the Intel card is seen under DxDiag. Both drivers are also updated. Some info below:

AMD driver date: 11/4/2015 | driver version: 15.201.1151.1008
Intel driver date: 5/19/2016 | driver version: 9.17.10.4459

I have CCC installed but there seems no option to switch graphic cards.

It seems to be a common issue but have found no solution yet. I'm aware that support for the AMD card has dropped but does that mean there is no way to use it now?

Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

0 Likes
6 Replies

Kingfish says that Windows 10 replaced the laptop's switchable graphics.  Need to go to Windows 10 Settings to enable your AMD GPU in your laptop to work in Switchable graphics.

This 2020 Windows Tech site thread has a similar problem as you do. Found out he needed to use Windows 10 settings to get his old AMD laptop GPU to work in switchable graphics: https://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/152120-amd-switchable-graphics-how-switch-gpu.html 

0 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, when I checked Windows 10 settings, my Power Saving and High Performance GPU are both the Intel HD 3000. 

Btw, based on TechPowerUp GPU-z, BIOS version of my AMD card is unknown. Not sure what that means or if it helps in any way to resolve my issue. 

0 Likes

Your laptop seems to be 9 year old. At HP Support download page for your laptop it only has Windows 7 drivers and none for Windows 10: HP Pavilion dv6-6173cl Entertainment Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Suppor... 

It is possible your laptop is not fully compatible to have Windows 10 installed. See if you can install HP's Windows 7 AMD Graphic Driver and CHIPSET:

Otherwise I would open a HP Support Ticket and inquire to see if your laptop can support Windows 10 or not. Most likely it doesn't.

0 Likes

It seems to be running ok in Windows 10, granted there doesn't seem to be updated drivers. I've been reading this site (AMD Switchable Graphics not working in Windows 10 (HP Pavilion - Microsoft Community ) but can't seem to follow their procedure or . I think what he did was download Windows 7 drivers and install it in compatibility mode. Does that seem like a reasonable solution?

0 Likes

That might be your only hope.

As you can see HP has a specific driver so that the laptop can be used as a switchable graphics laptop when you have an Intel Processor and a AMD GPU card.

Normally from what I have seen, if the Manufacturer doesn't have drivers for a certain Windows OS like Windows 10, It may indicate the laptop doesn't support Windows 10 fully since it has legacy hardware installed and no Windows10 drivers.

Best to ask HP Support if your laptop can support Windows 10. That might be the reason why the AMD GPU card is not being recognized or used.

EDIT: For the latest AMD Laptop graphic driver using an Intel processor, The laptop must have the latest Intel drivers installed, especially the Intel Graphic driver and CHIPSET with the latest BIOS if applicable.

You can try and use Intel Driver and Support Assistant Driver updater to see if it will install the latest Intel drivers for your processor and chipset.

0 Likes

i fixed this issue, don't download AMD's drivers for it, you should install driver easy and get the drivers for it there because no matter what, it'll use intel hd 3000 if you're on a laptop and installing driver easy's drivers for it, it will work but at the cost of either crimson or catalyst control center

0 Likes