Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

JJthe3rd
Journeyman III

How to use discrete graphics card in AMD software 20.9.1

Hello,

I'm trying to get my laptop to use its discrete graphics card more often to speed up my computer, but I cannot find the correct settings to maximize performance by engaging the switchable graphics.

Computer specs:

Dell Inspiron 5576

Radeon R7

switchable RX 560

16 GB ram

Radeon software version 20.9.1

I've tried using various drivers. both new and older, with no success.

Thank you for your help in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

@JJthe3rd wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to get my laptop to use its discrete graphics card more often to speed up my computer, but I cannot find the correct settings to maximize performance by engaging the switchable graphics.

Computer specs:

Dell Inspiron 5576

Radeon R7

switchable RX 560

16 GB ram

Starting Windows 10 17093 the switchable graphics are not controlled in the Radeon Settings as AMD dropped support because it is now controlled by the Operating System.

This page will show you what to do:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/103965-set-preferred-gpu-apps-windows-10-a.html

I personally don't think it works as well as when you could set it in the AMD drivers. 

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Nekela
Adept III

Without more info it is a little difficult to give the full answer but one step if you are unable to select the discrete GPU is to disable the integrated GPU through the windows device manager

0 Likes

The discrete graphics card seems to be connected through the integrated graphics which means that disabling the integrated graphics disables the discrete graphics card as well.

Within the graphics settings, I don't have an option to select the discrete card for the high power option.

0 Likes

@JJthe3rd wrote:

Hello,

Computer specs:

Dell Inspiron 5576

Radeon R7

switchable RX 560

16 GB ram

Starting Windows 10 17093 the switchable graphics are not controlled in the Radeon Settings as AMD dropped support because it is now controlled by the Operating System.

This page will show you what to do:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/103965-set-preferred-gpu-apps-windows-10-a.html

I personally don't think it works as well as when you could set it in the AMD drivers. 

Good Luck!

0 Likes