cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

punkmunster
Adept I

How-to suppress coil whine on RX 580...

Hi, anyome have informations on how to use Radeon Chill and FPS limiter to suppress coil whine? Does Freesync monitors suppress coil whine?

0 Likes
21 Replies

Never heard of that being a GPU issue. Heard of it with Power Supplies, but never had the problem myself and I've worked with hundreds of computers.

Or are you asking what settings will less impact this on the Power Supply? If that's the case, I would have to say, time for a new high quality power supply.

0 Likes

That's not changing the power supply who is going to change it. Excepted if the coil whine comes from the PSU.
And that's also not about "HQ power supply".

You can try to choke the noise by putting something around the coils. Check on others forum and ask question to "expert". Some talk of acrylic.
I said ask to expert because i'm not sure than clog the coils are good, maybe they need some air. I honestly don't know as i'm not an expert in electrical stuff.

0 Likes

Sorry I am not really sure what you are asking here. Are you asking if you can muffle or encase a power supply in something to reduce the noise?

If you are, I would never do something like that. Could even be a fire hazard so definitely DO NOT DO THAT. Again if it is making too much noise, it probably has something wrong. If under warranty I'd request RMA. If not look for a quality replacement. My personal belief is that the power supply is the most important part in your computer and the worst place to skimp.

If you were asking something else, just clarify and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks!

0 Likes

That's not at all about PSU.
I talk of the coils; just the coils.
https://i.stack.imgur.com/144ui.png
Kind of that way. It limits coil vibration, which make the annoying noise in his ears.
Their look on a video card: https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Radeon-R9-Fury-X-Coil-Whine.jpg

0 Likes

I am sorry, I don't think I have any advice for you on this at all. This really is new one to me. I hope somebody with good advice comes helps.

The only generic advice I can off that I do think would be very useful for you is to know, that in this forum, it is your peers answering you. Not often, AMD tech support. So our advice may not be any better than what you already know in some cases. Obviously you know more about this one than me. However you really should open a support ticket on this then AMD, their actual support guys will answer you. Here is the link:  Email Form

I would also suggest opening a support request with your cards manufacturer.

I hope you get this resolved, Good Luck!

0 Likes

Coil whine is from your PSU buddy not you card. I suspect you PSU is getting old way to maxed out tapping it out, sounds like you PSU is going to die the way in whining away. Isuspect shell out for a good brand good quality PSU higher in wattage than needed for a buffer as that whin will get worse & cook you card & motherboard. & if you PSU has failed coz of it AMD will not RMA you card for any warranties. I have never seen a card whine before & I max my card out & its a RX560 it dont whine. Tho my PSU is a 600W with a dud cooling fan I been testing from a stepsons build as was makin noises. Its moans & groans tho I know its the PSU it be the PSU whine travelling trust me & pokester we both know what we are talikn about.

0 Likes

Whatever.
A video card can have coils whining. And they do.

0 Likes

I promise I don't have stock in a power supply company. I never said he can't have an issue with his card. I just never heard of that issue like that (not that it cant exist) I have however heard of it from power supplies when under maximum load, like when the GPU is taking everything he's got. The OP is certainly welcome to pick and choose what advice they follow from anyone here. I was really only trying to ask exactly what he was experiencing as I wasn't sure, and thought the OP might mean something else. 

I'm sure when the OP responds we will all do our best to help them.

0 Likes

Coil whine is often related to GPU's. Just Google " graphic cards coil whine". Most companies will accept coil whine as a legitimate reason to RMA. You'll also find solutions to fix it that may or may not work.

philectro
Adept II

Try v-sync if you don't have enable it.
It may temper the noise.
For frame limilation just go to gaming > Global settings > Frame Rate Target Control and set it to 60 if you have a screen who does 60Hz.
Or you can also set "always on" for Wait for vertical refresh.

plumboby
Miniboss

That's your PSU doing it under load not your card. What is your PSU as a question as I guarantee its 90% PSU not card coil whine. I agree with pokester your PSU is the most important part of any build. Coil whine sound if coming from the card usually is coz of a crap quality of PSU that's on its last legs with sound traveling. Had PSUs coil whine with sound traveling before before they went bang & makes a huge mess usually killing Everything. My best bit of advise & any advise is CHECK YOUR DAMN PSU, quality to quantity is crap these days I have had a few High end PSu's die in the last few months. I replace PSU's on a cycle of 2-3 years as they deteriate over time the older they get to more they loose efficientcy & drop wattage & amps. Its common sense if you no electrical wizard & asking advise I say check your PSU as its the heart of your build if it dies taking out you whole build & try RMA coz of a defective PSU & they check up on it know some1 else that's been this route you wont get RMA or anything as was your own fault not to check your hardware & do maintance. So as a word of warning from a PC builder hwos been there done it check your most over looked parts of your build even if its 2-3 years as 9/10 its you PSU not the card & PSU maxed out. Go invest in a Quality high output PSU a guarantee most or your issues will go away.

0 Likes

Seriously guys, stop to post whatever about PSU.
They can last over a decade without any problem.
Changing them every 2-3years is ridiculous excepting if you do mining like pulling out 75-90% of their power H24.
I have a high coil whine on my new video card using a high quality PSU from Seasonic(Focus Gold).
I have just checked where the noise comes from, it's the video card, not the PSU.

It's true than some people have bad quality PSU because they don't spend enough and don't know which brands give good quality.

plumboby
Miniboss

its not true any off the high end brands have issues to. 90% of PSUs are made in china they pump them out in quanity than quality. They not made to last being a throw away society, its not wasting $ as I wouldn't trust a 2-3 year old PSU coz of the way they are mass produced & the pricing for decent quality PSU qualifies replacing every2-3 years. Qualitity has gone out the door with PSU's & most stuff its so they make $ not to last. Only reason I suggest Coz I have had really good brands high quality die, PSU's are the heart & soul of your build its the only reason I keep saying it. Punkmaster obviously your one thos flat earthers tin hat guys that dont seem to actually listen to the people who been here done that. You may have a good run with your older PSU but we are in a world of mass production bulk production no quality control. Its why I suggest replacing your PSU more regularly they look good handle well till age creeps up they deteriate & loose efficientcy & drop output I have actually done alot of testing with the cheap & really high end brands with a few IT tech mates who been in the IT industry for well over 20+ years & they say the same thing quality is crap these days. We run on a consensuse of replacing a bit more that usuall life cycle as saves down time & cooking a whole build coz of lack or maintance & quality. We run proper diagnostics on PSU's to so before your critize what I am saying I may not be right but your not either, its the way the world is nothing is built to last. I deal with it on a daily basis with my real Job as it is real world situations why I keep saying PSUs as its the most over looked part which does all the work which if it dies will take out everything leaving you with nothing. Coil whine usually comes from a PSU 9/10 maxed out sound travels dont blame a card for the whine when its probly your PSU having a hernia trying to keep up.

0 Likes

Yeah, that's why they have 7-11years warranty, because they are all crappy.

0 Likes

Here is a good article explaining Coil Whine. You are correct and could be from the PSU but also from the GPU since both are High-Powered electronic components. Most of the time it is from the GPU card. Vega series cards have this issue since they require so much power.

What Is Coil Whine, and Can I Get Rid of It on My PC?

plumboby
Miniboss

not always the case even with the high warranties they have fine print written down to which means half the time if you try claim RMA on a defective PSU of a certain age they wont relace or repair it eventually. Having extened warranties have there place tho if they are that old & most PSU suppliers or manufactorers dont honour or wont as there new models will superseed any of the older models which 9/10 arnt made anymore. If you get a 3 year warranty your doing well anything 3years + you run into is the model made anymore & theres better PSus coming out than that outdated thing you got a long warranty for, that 9/10 they wont cover or the company has changed hands so honouring any warranties on an older PSU is a waste of time trying.

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

I still think its PSU at fault not the card in honest opinion with the way the new cards are made I havnt heard of coil whine in any of the new gen cards in the past 5-10 years the older cards yes but no something so new gen which is making me suspect its the PSU whine traveling threw the case which I have had before, only reason I am suggesting PSU.

0 Likes

Plumboby

Are you familiar with Google? You musn't be. You don't have to go back 5-10 years to find major issues with gpu coil whine. For example the GTX 1080 was plagued with it when it was first released. People set up their parts outside their cases and the vid card was whining and humming like the power lines going into Area 51.

To the OP

Do a minimal setup outside your case. If you can hear the gpu, RMA that sucker. Most of the fixes involve removing the cowl from the card and will void your warranty.

Thanks bearcat22, i stopped to answer because of the level of whatever.

0 Likes
punkmunster
Adept I

Thanks people for answering.

0 Likes
robo71
Adept I

I got my Gigabyte rx vega 56,, and heard a coil whine under gpu load.

Some investigation showed that the psu was creating the noise. Replaced my Antec Truepower 750 with a Seasonic Focus Gold plus 1000W, and I do not hear coil wine anymore. 1000W might be overkill, 750 should be enough.

0 Likes