Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

cultist_kun
Journeyman III

How to limit GPU usage

Hi

I would like to know how AMD feature called, which would work like vSync which would prevent GPU from overusing itself.

I have 60 Mhz monitor, and I dont really need more then 60-70 FPS in game, but in heavy titles card over-cooks itself. I mean regular vsync doesnt seem to work, card still boosting itself to the max.

0 Likes
7 Replies

most games have an option called vsync, enable that

0 Likes

Its not really a vSync as it seems, since I remember playing a game yesterday and even with vSync unabled rx5700 was boosting itself to the max, and the title for sure is not requrering so much GPU power to run 60 fps

0 Likes

cultist_kun wrote:

Its not really a vSync as it seems, since I remember playing a game yesterday and even with vSync unabled rx5700 was boosting itself to the max, and the title for sure is not requrering so much GPU power to run 60 fps

depending on the game and the API used the card workload can be high

DX12 uses an idea of a wave to spread work across several CU on a card

0 Likes
khun_doug
Elite

If the game does not have a control to set the FPS, and some games do have this feature, then you can try using the Frame Rate Target Control in Adrenalin. Go to your specific game in Adrenalin and in the Profile Graphics tab you should see Chill (FPS) and Frame Rate Target Control. I would try setting the Frame Rate Target Control to 60 to match the rate of your monitor. You can also activate Chill and try something lower, like 50 FPS. That allows the GPU to decrease workload when it can.

Another place to look to make your GPU matches your display in the Display tab of Adrenalin. Make sure the settings there match your display.

drallim
Elite

Go to Radeon settings > Gaming > global Settings > Wattman

Scroll down to where it says "power limit", and change it to a negative value. If you put -20% it will use 20% less power which means 20% less heat. You probably will only lose about 10% max performance though, depending on the card.

This will achieve what you want regardless of the framerate.

I use this on really hot days, I set -50% so the card only uses half power and doesn't sound like a jet engine.

0 Likes

If you need to reduce power, you need more chassis fans, plain and simple

0 Likes

I didn't say anything about needs, stop making things up

0 Likes