cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Gaming6500xt
Adept I

How to instal rx 6500 xt driver to detect work on Linux mint

• i just bought rx 6500 xt, i'm using linux mint 20.2 and kernel 5.4.0.74, the first time i install gpu it appears that the gpu needs to install the driver, i've tried the driver from the official website amd gpu pro 21.40.2 still the same, when i want to boot it turns out to be an artifact and no display, I've tried upgrading the kernel to 5.11.0.27 gpu still not detected, I want to ask how to get rx 6500 xt to work on Linux,what's kernel and version
11 Replies
mamoniot
Journeyman III

I am also having a similar issue except on manjaro linux. My gpu is coming up as "unknown device name (ATI Technologies Inc)".

0 Likes
Qanatoz
Challenger

Replicated problem with different distros.

Tried different kernels. It seem like some incompatibility issue.

Sacodea
Journeyman III

Hi, I happened to experience the same problem. It seems that this gpu started being supported only in kernel 5.14 so kernel 5.4 and 5.11 would never work according to this source:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Beige-Goby-Linux

However I did try Debian Bookworm (kernel 5.16.0-1) and I just get a frozen sreen on boot. It won't work even on bash shell mode. It only boots by disabling the driver in grub with the "nomodeset" command.

For further diagnosis made this post on Debian user forum, but still no conclusive answer:

https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=751361#p751361

0 Likes

Try to add amdgpu.aspm=0 after quiet at grub entry (press e then ctrl+x when done adding)

This option helped me.

0 Likes

Active State Power Management (ASPM) is a standard for power saving and heat control. It should always be activated if possible. I went back to my old card, haven't tested yet but if that is a consistent problem it should be fixed as soon as possible.

Saw this article mentioning it being fixed for kernel 5.18:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-More-Linux-5.18

ASPM causing black screen at Windows when you watch video/web and playing game at same time. I can't turn it off in BIOS so just waiting for fix.

Bugged drivers at start as always.

0 Likes

Here is the latest various Linux drivers for the RX6500XT from AMD : https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-6000-series/amd-radeon-rx-6500-series/amd-rade...

Seems like AMD is stopping support on Centos OS.

CentOS Support Note

Radeon Software for Linux release 21.50 will be the last release supporting CentOS

@elstaciThat's because Red Hat stopped support for CentOS and released CentOS Stream with rolling distribution model. But of-course that is off-topic to our problem.

Qanatoz_0-1646649315707.png

@Qanatoz 

Thanks for the Linux Update. I am not a Linux User so I wasn't aware of that fact. Just that AMD posted a notice about not supporting CentOS anymore..

0 Likes
Qanatoz
Challenger

It may be not Linux problem at all. I just turned on ASPM like it was in Linux by default to PCI express maximum energy saving (Windows 10 powercfg.cpl) and got same halt with corrupted image.

Link state power management 

Qanatoz_1-1647343211767.png

PS. Screenshot is not mine, I posted it because of English spelling. To revert malicious option you need to boot in Safe mode.

0 Likes
Qanatoz
Challenger

Update: Linux drivers team closed issue as power management bug. That's because this problem does not repeat at any MB+CPU+RX6500\6400 combination. I asked Asrock to add ASPM menu to BIOS and temporarily have to use this workaround.

If you have similar problem and you don't have ASPM or PM L1 SS in your BIOS ask manufacturer 2 things:

1. Research incompatibility of your Hardware (list everything and stepping included)

2. ask to customize Bios by adding this option for time of their research.

PS. Do not share binary without consent with developers.

Qanatoz_0-1667121441762.png

PSS. if you can't use bios then your option is to use Kernel parameter at GRUB amdgpu.aspm=0

After boot sudo bash -c "echo options amdgpu aspm=0> /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf"

If your distro can't boot with amdgpu.aspm=0 then use nomodeset and boot into console or software render, then upgrade kernel to 5.15 or later and type sudo bash -c "echo options amdgpu aspm=0> /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf".

0 Likes