cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

FrozButcher
Adept I

How to force a game to use dedicated GPU instead of the internal one?

I recently switched to a AMD laptop, when I downloaded a relatively old game - Red Alert 3, the game decided to use its internal GPU rather than the dedicated RX 6800M.

In my previous laptop I used Nvidia Control Panel to force the driver to use the dedicated GPU, which worked. Is there any AMD equivalent of that? So far I only see Radeon software which kind of resembles Geforce experience.

I also tried to use Windows 11's built-in graphic setting, however the system could not detect the game. And game itself is not a .exe file, it uses a .exe launcher to launch a .game file, so I can not manually add it either.

Anyone had similar issues? Any luck solving it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

I checked the task manager, and it says the game is using ra3_1.12.game (no .exe suffix), which is not a .exe file.

I did manager to get around it though, I went into the Windows Graphics setting, chose "Add an app", navigated to the folder where the .game file is located and type in the file name manually in the file name box. Windows somehow recognize it as an app and I was then able to choose high performance GPU.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Look agin for the .exe file..it has to be around. Check all folders in the game file.

0 Likes

There are several .exe files in the folder but they are either launchers or record players. Red Alert 3 is an old game and it uses a wacky system which requires the launcher to convert the .game file to a .exe file on the fly. When I was using Nvidia the work around was to play the game, open Nvidia Control Panel and there will be a ".game.exe" file in recent activities, which I can fiddle around with. However neither AMD Radeon Software or the Window Graphic Settings seem to have this function and thus here I am.

0 Likes

When you have the game running...check in Task Manager to see what .exe is being used. Right click on it to 'open folder'. Then look for that folder/exe with Windows Graphics and set that for high performance.

I checked the task manager, and it says the game is using ra3_1.12.game (no .exe suffix), which is not a .exe file.

I did manager to get around it though, I went into the Windows Graphics setting, chose "Add an app", navigated to the folder where the .game file is located and type in the file name manually in the file name box. Windows somehow recognize it as an app and I was then able to choose high performance GPU.

Your welcome