cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Tomkin64
Adept I

How to Connect a VR Headset with Display Port?

Hi,

i changed today from a Nvidia 1080ti to a RX 6900 XT.

With my Nvidia i plugged in the Pimax an it worked, now i have plugged in the Pimax in the second DP from my Brandnew

RX 6900 XT and it says always plug in Display Port. I Installed the Pimax Software completely new 2 Times.

Is there anything to do with the AMD Drivers?

Thanks

Tomkin

0 Likes
5 Replies

Have you tried to plug it in on another DP port of the GPU Card?

Can you verify that you have DP output on the port the VR Headset is connected too?

What are the LEDs showing when you plug in the VR Headset or any Error messages?

Are you getting power/Data from the USB connection to the VR Headset?

0 Likes

Have you tried to plug it in on another DP port of the GPU Card? YES

Can you verify that you have DP output on the port the VR Headset is connected too? Yes, other Displays work!

What are the LEDs showing when you plug in the VR Headset or any Error messages?

Pimax has Red LED and says no Display port  plugged in!

Are you getting power/Data from the USB connection to the VR Headset? Yes, USB is connected and has Power!

It works well with another Workstation wit Nvidia Card! Problem with AMD?

most likely with the GPU card or it AMD  Driver.

If you are able to borrow and plug in a different AMD GPU card and it works than you know the issue is either the 6900 GPU card or AMD Driver for the 6900 GPU Card.

Try opening a AMD SERVICE REQUEST (Official AMD SUPPORT) and ask them if they believe the GPU card is defective or it is a AMD Driver issue from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

I also would open a Pimax Support and ask them if the 6900 is compatible with your VR Headset.

Does the Pimax has any specific drivers to update or download from their Support website?

All this, try this , try these is not really helpful.

I realised that other guys expirienced the same Problems with their AMD GPU and found a very simple

but effective Solution. I sold the AMD GPU and switched Back to Nvidia.

Sorry, but to have the Fastest GPU in Lab Conditions or in Benchmarks is not what i want! 

I want a really fast GPU that finally works with my Games an my Hardware!

All the Best

Thomas

0 Likes
delevero
Adept III

I own the 6900xt and the pimax 8kx
in case anyone wonder. The pimax8kx and piplay work 100% with the 6900xt once you actual make it work
You just need to install the radeon software and dont need to adjust any settings though ir ecommend to select a "global setting such as gaming". But dont turn on anything related to vr in radeon software

How to make it work.. Basicly try to reinstall the latest piplay software again, often this can solve issues.
Next put the Display cable from the vr headset in the DP next to the tiny type c onnector slot.
Note that inside the pimax cables there are different colour codes.. some are blue and some are black.
If you can try to connect that to same usb port color on your pc.
Maybe restart your pc and turn on piplay
If it does not detect your headset when you turn it on, then reainstall piplay and restart and try again.
Alternative if you have base stations on the wall turn them on and wait for 2 minutes.
If you have controllers turn them on.

Sometimes a rare bug can happen where the pimax only turn on and work if the controllers are turned on.
If you get this bug reinstall piplay until it work as it should.
( in rare cases the piplay software and drivers just dont work.. only solution to this have been to reinstall windows and try again, then it typical work instant ).

Tip.. after your make it work my tip is to select 9 way tracking and in the bottom of piplay select calibrate horisontal. After you do that change back to base station tracking.. ( this can remove micro stuttering/shaking in games )
This is also a tiny bug / feature.

After you make it work in piplay install steam vr.
In steam vr i usualy my self manualy adjust the display size as close to the "pr eye" resolution it support.
I found that the automatic adjustment isent that good and i had better experince this way in flight sims.

0 Likes