cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Jpanman78
Adept I

How many power connectors/ cables can one connect to 6900xt?

How many cables from psu can i use to plug 6900 xt nitro plus into?  Technically speaking,  aren't three cables optimizing the GPU? currently have two cables with one with a split head and then another split for the 6 pin, with a extra 2 pin hanging from the side.. getting voltage drops and frame drops! Thanks anyone and everyone

0 Likes
1 Solution
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Run 3 separate PCIE 8 pin connectors do not use the pig tail connectors.

Using pig tail connectors will cause uneven power distribution to your VPU.

I run the Power Color Demon RX 6900 XT and I tried with 2 cables and one of the pigtail connectors.

Top power to my GPU maxed at 289 watts and experienced a lot of crashes changed to 3 dedicated PCIE 8 pin connectors power levels in gaming for GPU average 345 to 375 watts and no crashes. 

Also not having even power distribution can cause surges which can damage hardware.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Jpanman78
Adept I

By the way my puter was pushing out 240fps in warzone consistently until drkver 2.2.3? 3/17 driver came out and somewhat forced a download ! Right before downloading the driver i meant,  but the day of its release is when i saw performance losses, i also switched set up around night before,  thought that could have done something also, not as good airflow? So i cleaned system out,  dusted in all and did see a jump in performance but not like before. 

0 Likes

Looking at Sapphire Webpage for your RX 6900 Nitro+ GPU card it just requires 2 - 8 pin power cables from the PSU: https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/nitro-radeon-rx-6900-xt-16g-gddr6

Screenshot 2022-03-13 220146.png

From other threads it has been mentioned the best way to connect the GPU Power cables from the PSU is using 2 separate 8 pin PCIe cables from the PSU to the GPU Card rather than using one cable with 2 - 8 pin connectors on it.

Also your Sapphire GPU card has 2 BIOS Settings in which one if "Performance" and the other is "Silent". I imagine the Performance BIOS setting is used  for gaming purposes:

Screenshot 2022-03-13 220146.png

You should have a PSU of at least 950 Watts or higher for this GPU card.

ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Run 3 separate PCIE 8 pin connectors do not use the pig tail connectors.

Using pig tail connectors will cause uneven power distribution to your VPU.

I run the Power Color Demon RX 6900 XT and I tried with 2 cables and one of the pigtail connectors.

Top power to my GPU maxed at 289 watts and experienced a lot of crashes changed to 3 dedicated PCIE 8 pin connectors power levels in gaming for GPU average 345 to 375 watts and no crashes. 

Also not having even power distribution can cause surges which can damage hardware.  

Hi,

Sorry, I know this is an old thread but I have a follow up Q if you wouldn't mind?

When you say using pig tail connectors will cause uneven power distribution do you mean you need to use a 1x PCIE 8 pin only, or can I use a 2x PCIE 8 pin pig tail cable as long as the second cable isn't plugged in (example below)?

Just trying to work out if I need to buy new cables or not as below is what will come with my PSU (Pure Power 11 FM 1000W)

Thanks

TallicadaZ_0-1663538018005.png

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Your 12v pcie connectors should each be on a separate 12v rail to prevent power sag and system instability.  My AIB 6900 XT straddles 300w all day long attached to a 1300w EVGA supernova with 6 independent 12v rails each with its own power connector.

0 Likes