cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

photomike
Journeyman III

How do I make the Radeon graphics card my preferred card on a Dell Inspiron running Windows 10, 4bit?

How do I make the Radeon graphics card my preferred card on a Dell Inspiron 5770 running Windows 10, 4bit?

0 Likes
3 Replies

Since the last couple of versions of Windows this is no longer controlled by the Graphics Driver and is controlled by Windows itself. IMHO to lackluster success. While this is true Nvidia still offers an easy working override in their control panel that allows you, to easily set this. AMD has removed all ability to set this from their drivers. Not sure why AMD made this choice when obviously the OS does a poor job of managing this. About the best thing you can do is before playing a game set the power profile to High Performance. 

Then Windows has these settings that may help: 

Note the advice they give on the following page for AMD  no longer exists in current drivers. 

How to Force An App To Use The Dedicated GPU On Windows 

Windows 10 Settings

You must be running Windows 10 1809 or later for this to work. It doesn’t matter which GPU you have because this will work for both.

1. Open the Settings app and go to the System group of settings.
  2. Select the Display tab and scroll down.
  3. Click the ‘Graphic Settings‘ option.
  4. On the Graphics Settings screen, open the ‘Choose an app to set preference‘ dropdown.
  5. Select the type of app you want to set the GPU use for; Classic app for desktop apps, and Universal app for UWP or Store apps.

Once selected, click the Browse button and select the app. Click the ‘Options‘ button under the app once it has been added.

In the window that opens, select ‘High Performance‘ and click ‘Save‘.

0 Likes

Windows 10 allows you to set the primary GPU in settings. See instructions below.

https://pureinfotech.com/set-gpu-app-windows-10/

0 Likes

I gave similar information earlier yet I am still waiting for mod approval.  :-(

0 Likes