cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

comtech12345
Adept I

How do I force a resolution on a monitor in Windows?

My RX580 used to work perfectly with my TCL 55" 4K TV but the last couple of driver updates locked it into HD only resolution.  Nothing changed but the driver.  Rolling back the driver hasn't worked for me.  I've patiently waited through two driver updates hoping it would solve itself but still no luck.  Is there a way to force a 4K resolution on a monitor that is incorrectly being detected as HD only?

0 Likes
1 Solution

My next step in this situation would be to check what resolutions are detected by CRU (link).
Which is a custom resolution utility that lets you check available resolutions for each connected display.

It will also let you add new ones yourself (for advanced users - do not fool around with this).
So in theory you could manually add the 4K resolution, if it is indeed missing somehow.

---
There is a download on the top of that post (zip archive, which needs to be extracted).
When you start the tool you can select your display/monitor from a list and check the supported resolutions.

You could either post a screenshot here or just let me know what the tool reports.
---
note: this step is just to make sure if the display itself is reporting all the supported resolutions correctly.

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
RPX100
Miniboss

@comtech12345 hello!

A clean/fresh install of the driver with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU from guru3D) should fix your issues.
- Make sure to run DDU as administrator and select the launch option "Safe Mode (recommended)"!
- also please unplug your LAN cable (prevent Windows Update from messing up) while doing this!

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]
0 Likes

I'll give it a shot and post back.  It's a shame the drivers don't let you simply just choose the resolution you want and then confirm the success or failure of that resolution choice.

I finally got time to give that a try.  Every step you described completed perfectly.  Unfortunately it had no effect on the problem.  I am still stuck at HD only resolution and can find no way to force (or fool) the driver into trying a higher resolution.  Even the custom resolution settings in the driver reject changes saying "monitor does not support higher resolution".  This is so frustrating because it worked perfectly in 4K mode just a few driver versions ago.  If you have any other tips I would love to hear them.  Thanks!

0 Likes

My next step in this situation would be to check what resolutions are detected by CRU (link).
Which is a custom resolution utility that lets you check available resolutions for each connected display.

It will also let you add new ones yourself (for advanced users - do not fool around with this).
So in theory you could manually add the 4K resolution, if it is indeed missing somehow.

---
There is a download on the top of that post (zip archive, which needs to be extracted).
When you start the tool you can select your display/monitor from a list and check the supported resolutions.

You could either post a screenshot here or just let me know what the tool reports.
---
note: this step is just to make sure if the display itself is reporting all the supported resolutions correctly.

0 Likes