cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

katopholustex
Journeyman III

How can i improve the ATI Radeon HD 4200? It's causing my games to run extremely poorly.

I recently got a HP Pavilion G7 with an AMD Phentom II Processor (Putting out at ~2.60GHz)

I've upgraded the RAM to 8G's and downloaded Steam, eager to get to some gaming with a Laptop that had the processing power to play higher end games. Needless to say, I was unable to play any of my higher end games like Dragon ball Xenoverse or Payday 2. I did some research and I saw the culprit was more than likely the Graphics card. Is there any way I can improve this thing? Would deleting it and using whatever Windows 10 has improve how my games run?

Seriously, I just wanna play my games.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Nope, but even if you could double its speed it just doesn't have the hardware to game. This image from userbenchmark will show you exactly how little power the HD 4200 series has. Intel HD 5000 graphics, which stutter with even Microsoft Minesweeper (I know because I have it in my Surface Pro 3) is 713% faster than the HD 4200.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies

Windows® 10 Driver Support for Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics Products

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

So pretty much I'm screwed?

0 Likes

Even if it were being updated, the HD 4200 series is an extremely weak GPU not intended in any way to game. You could double its power and still not be able to play any game.

0 Likes

I take it even trying to overclock it is a thing I shouldn't even think of?

0 Likes

Nope, but even if you could double its speed it just doesn't have the hardware to game. This image from userbenchmark will show you exactly how little power the HD 4200 series has. Intel HD 5000 graphics, which stutter with even Microsoft Minesweeper (I know because I have it in my Surface Pro 3) is 713% faster than the HD 4200.

0 Likes

Awesome. I wasted all my cash on a laptop with a crappy stock Graphics card. Best option would be to just return this Laptop and get my money back.

0 Likes

You bought that thing new? It's ancient (in computer years).

0 Likes

Nah. I got it at a Pawn shop cause it was cheap. My ASUS X53E Had a huge crack in the screen and I couldn't do anything with it without connecting it to an external monitor. Thought I was getting a good deal since the Processor was more powerful and it had a bigger monitor, as well as Windows 10 installed when I got it. Boy was I wrong. Thanks AMD.

0 Likes

Not an AMD problem, it's a budget laptop built down to a price, not a gaming laptop costing four figures.

0 Likes