Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

pangaron
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Horizontal flickering and image tearing in 2D (3 screens, R9 290x), 15.7 and up

I got Sapphire R9 290x, three screens (Dell U2412M), two of them connected via DVI, one via Displayport.

Now everything was ok, when on Windows 7, running AMD-Catalyst-15.6-Beta-Software-Suite-Win7-64Bit-June22 drivers.

Using newer drivers on Win 7 (15.7 or 15.7.1), or migrating to Windows 10 (any drivers) causes the problems. The problems appears after a while in 2D mode (desktop), or sometimes when exiting 3D application to 2D and also when the computer wakes up.

The problems includes horizontal flickering and image tearing, very annoying, across all the screens. It seems that when moving the mouse or a window, the flickering is much more frequent. Whenever the display adapter is restarted, the problem disappears for a while. Fullscreen application does not seem the be affected by the flickering, but I have discovered that some of them (even benchmarks) might cause the computer to hard lock (hard reset required).

Temperatures are nominal, changing the core or memory frequencies does not affect it at all.

0 Kudos
126 Replies
pal_carlsen
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Horizontal flickering and image tearing in 2D (3 screens, R9 290x), 15.7 and up

I have the exact same issue.

Asus R290X, dual screens (Dell U2713H) connected with DVI and Displayport. Resolution 2560x1440 on both screens.

Has worked without a hitch since  Asus 290x was new last summer with all driver versions on Windows 8 and 8.1 x64 up until I installed Catalyst 15.7. I then experienced the exact same flickering and tearing making it practically impossible to use my PC. I quickly downgraded to the latest working version I had used, which was Omega 14.12 and everything was fine again.

Note long ago I upgraded to Windows 10 and noticed that the flickering and tearing reappeared. I had not updated any drivers my self since upgrading to Windows 10, so I guess it was the same Omega 14.12 drivers which was still in use(?).

Anyhow, I installed Catalyst 15.7.1 for windows 10 64bit, but to no avail. Still the same flickering and tearing when using two screens. Whats interesting is that if I turn of one monitor, the flickering stops and everything is ok again. I am also able to use two monitors in 2d/desktop, but once my BOINC screensaver kicks in the screens starts flickering and I have to turn of one of the monitors, which "fixes" the flickering and tearing.

My conclusion is that the 15.7 drivers and a possible alignment with the new windows version do not play nice with certain cards. It looks to me like R290 and R290X are the ones affected.

0 Kudos
artdent
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Horizontal flickering and image tearing in 2D (3 screens, R9 290x), 15.7 and up

Yep, me too. I am using a 290 with a multiple monitor set up and I get random flickering across the monitors, increased by mouse movement. I am using the latest drivers. This is occurring in desktop usage, not seen it while playing games. This is a clean install of windows 10 (well.... full refresh after upgrade). Saw this during the insider phase of Windows 10 as well, but excepted it as part of the whole Beta experience.

0 Kudos
shartiga
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I am also getting graphical glitches in windows 10 but with a sapphire tri-x fury.

Are your glitches anything like this video I made of mine doing it?

Fury glitches - YouTube

0 Kudos
artdent
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

no sorry mine is just a few lines 3-4 across my 3 monitors, no colour changes elsewhere. That looks far more serious

0 Kudos
pal_carlsen
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Mine does not look anything like your video. Seems far worse then what I have. ardent's description is closer to what I experience to. Horisontal lines and flickering, but not a totally corrupted image like your video shows.

0 Kudos
artdent
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I'm convinced its a driver issue. I just disable the card and then re-enable it in device manager and all is fixed. Luckily I have a monitor attached to the on-board intel graphics output that doesn't turn off when disabling the 290 or re-enabling would be a challenge

0 Kudos
pangaron
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I must agree. I am also convinced it is a driver issue and one that is specifically tied to display port.

As I mention in my initial post, everything was ok for me on Windows 7 with 15.6-Beta drivers (I even tried to revert back to confirm that).

Now I have made some tests and I can confirm, that so far - whenever I use 2xDVI + 1 HDMI combination, instead of 2xDVI + DP or DVI + DP, the problems seem to be gone. This is sadly not a solution for higher resolutions, but since I am on 1920x1200, I can at least live with that for the moment. Still, it does not solve the problem that DP is somehow causing the problems. And yes, I tried a different DP cable (newly unpacked), so unless it is the devilish 19pin DP vs 20pin DP issue, I think it is not a problem within the cable itself.

0 Kudos
wheee
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I'm having the same problem with r295x .. its weird because it only happens when i have 3 monitors up.. but when i unplug the 2 additional monitors thats connected to the mini dp.. with a single monitor.. everything seems to work fine. i dont think the problem is the mini dp to DVI because it works fine when i was on windows 8.1. This just started happening in windows 10

0 Kudos
pal_carlsen
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Updated findings on my setup.

I think pangaron is on to something about this being linked to DisplayPort.

My two monitors at 2560x1440 are connected with DisplayPort and DVI.

When my monitors starts flickering it stops when I turn of one monitor, but only if the one I turn off is the one connected to DisplayPort. If I turn of the monitor using DVI the remaining monitor (connected with DisplayPort) continues to flicker.

0 Kudos