cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

High FPS, in-game stuttering

Dear community,

I have some problems with my AMD setup when gaming, that can't seem to get solved.

After a few days of intensive searching, I hope I can get some help here because I'm all out of ideas.

The problem, simply put, is that in games, I get stuttering while having a high FPS rate (far above 60fps that is)

This is the most obvious and frequent in PUBG. I also notice it in CS:GO (but it's rare) and sometimes when doing a Valley benchmarktest.

It looks like some frames are dropped, but I can't find any evidence of this in loggings.

I used to think my processor (I had a Ryzen 3 1200) was the issue, but after upgrading to a Ryzen 5 2600 I still have the same issues.

My complete setup and UserBenchmarks:

UserBenchmarks: Game 67%, Desk 72%, Work 50%

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - 72.8%

GPU: AMD RX 580 (MSI Gaming X, 8G) - 70.1%

SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB - 68.9%

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2016) - 99%

USB: WD Elements 25A3 4TB - 64%

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - 99.8%

MBD: Asrock AB350M Pro4

Display: ROG Strix XG258Q

What I have tried so far:

- Lower in game settings, with no result. I play PUBG at low settings anyway.

- Deactivated tessallation mode in Radeon settings.

- Changed the FlipQueueSize to 0x3100 using Radeonmod

- Reinstalled all GPU drivers

- Disabled Freesync & Adaptive Sync on my display

- Capping FPS to a max of 75fps

- Disable HDCP support

Nothing solved my problems. I still have to much stuttering/screendrops in PUBG to make it enjoyable, in CS:GO it's rare but annoying when it occurs.

Can somebody please help me? I would be very grateful...

If you need any further info, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

MasterDisaster

0 Likes
21 Replies
trollberserk
Adept I

Hi,

You are not alone, apparently we are many to have the problem and it's that our GPU is don't use to it's maximum performance. When I'm in game my rx 580 8Go drop from 90%-100% to around 60% most of the time. I tried 1080p or 720p and that change nothing, my GPU just don't hit the maximum usage...
Unfortunately, I found nothing to solve that yet

0 Likes

Actually most RX 580s are throttling do to the drivers having the power ceiling set to low.

I highly suggest you do the following:

Raise the  Red "Power Limit" Sider to it's maximum. Slide the slider all the way to the right to 50. This is still well withing normal range and is not over volting in any way. It is dynamic and doesn't even mean your card is constantly using more power. Only that it can use more when needed.

This setting is in Radeon Setings / Gaming / Global Settings / Global Wattman : down below the fan settings.

If this alone does not help there are several other things you can do to get it stable.Then try the following,

If your are using anything like Afterburner, Trixx or other graphics tweakers, don't (they interfere with Watman) and uninstall them.

Next do the following:

1. Disable Fast Startup (google it)

2. Disable Hibernation (google it)

3. Make sure your Computer is set to "High Performance" in the power profile.

4. Turn off all Windows 10 game functions. In settings Gaming disable anything on, DVR, Game Bar ETC....

5. If your anti-virus software has a game mode, use it.

Now I want you to re-install the driver again doing the following:

Download the driver you want.

Run DDU from safe mode.  Get it from WagnardSoft_com.

Disconnect from the internet. ( this is the key as Windows update screws up the reinstall if you don't)

Restart, and install the driver.

Restart with internet back on and you should be good to go.

After the driver re-install set the Power Limit Slider back to +50, to it's maximum.

If that doesn't get it. Let me know. I use custom fan and temp settings with my RX 580 and can post a screen shot of my settings for you to duplicate. I am work right now and don't have it here. I have done all these things and it has made my RX 580 rock solid stable, and it is anything but without what I have done.

Hello,

Sorry for the late answer : /
I've done all you write here and that does nothing for me. So, I've reinstall my windows 10, the previous version was an update from Win 7. Now, I've a fresh installation of win 10, I can activate an option in the BIOS of my MB that I can't activate before (due to the update Win 7 to Win 10 I think). That option is "Windows 10 support *something*" and so far so good.
That does the trick for me and maybe could help someone else.

However, thanks for your time and the solution might working for someone who don't have a "fake" installation of Win 10

pokester thanks for the reply!

I did exactly what you wrote down and the framerates went up immediately. This works fine for CS:GO, but in PUBG I still have some framedrops and stuttering while having 160+ fps at times.

Can you share your settings? Maybe it can help me even further.

Thank you!

0 Likes

I do use a custom gaming profile for CSGO in Radeon Settings Gaming, in which I disable vsync, leave all settings to application control. I set the textures to "performance" IMHO this makes a big difference on this game. I also use chill and set my range to be one FPS inside of my freesync range, if you have a freesync monitor. I leave my  Shader Cache to AMD Optimized in the profile actually makes it faster. I have seen claims that turning it on and off and on optimized makes it better. So I strongly suggest trying it all three ways to figure out what is best for you. Oh I mentioned setting everything to application control. This include to make sure you change tessellation to app control.

0 Likes

This thread is over 2 years old, but I literally just made an account to say THANK YOU!!! I've been dealing with high fps stuttering in every game for years now, and couldnt find a fix to save my life. This finally worked for me. Thank you so much!

i have the same issues kind of

rx 580 rog 8gb ram

random stutter in cod warzone doesn t go away even when trying many stuff, i have no problem with the gtx 1070 before, now game stutters randomly every few seconds, freesync is on, and in driver amd optimized freesync, unlimited framerates in game.

any solution thanks

0 Likes
rush7
Adept I

Hi masterdisasterpokester

I'm also in trouble with CS:GO stuttering like thing. Could you please check below and tell me if this is the same thing with this problem?

https://streamable.com/lq740

0 Likes

Unfortunately I get stuttering in CSGO too. This has been around now for several driver versions. I have reported it. You should do the same, you can find the link in Radeon Settings, preferences.

I modified my Radeon settings for CS:GO just like the guy doing at below video, and now mine isn't stuttering anymore, at least not very visible. Sometimes it still happens but very rare. You can apply it and try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rih08p-OXws

Thanks, I will check it out!

0 Likes

In the meanwhile, I upgraded to a VEGA 56 and the issues are still the same.

Today, I even reinstalled Windows completely, only to end up on the same issues after reinstall...

If anyone still has suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them. I'm done.

herogreat001
Journeyman III

Hi, 1700x + Asus Crosshair vi wifi/ac here

Suddenly my cpu experienced stuttering, but FPS was consistently over 200

Updated BIOS, MOBO chipset driver, graphics driver, every driver I could think of, nothing worked.

However, I did remember it happened after some update.

Finally, I figured it out. It was the BIOS

So after bios update, AMD would erase every setting you previously had, unlike intel

This caused huge issue, because I fine tuned my overclock but forgot to record every number.

I quick overclocked cpu and ram, but forgot to disable gear down in RAM tuning section

Yes, you have to DISABLE gear down.

All of a sudden, it works perfect again.

So for those who has stuttering but no FPS dropping, and you have AMD cpu

Try this method, it might surprise you,

or not. Every situation is different, but this is an easy move comparing to driver unintsall, right?

my 2 cents. hope it helps.

gvarlden
Journeyman III

Same problem on a prebuilt with a RX 580, tried everything on this page and soo much more, yet the issue persists.

0 Likes
razewow
Journeyman III

Hello guys! 

I have this problem on with my RX560 in CS: GO. And i find the solution!

If u have MSI afterburner with RIVA tuner u can use monitoring of GPU core frequency, memory frequency and % usage of GPU. I playing 1280x960, and have stuttering on 150-200 fps. And one time i was playing with monitoring, i  noticed, that stutters was in time, when core or memory frequency changes. Frequencys are dymanic, and it's a problem for RX 500 series. When frequency stable on max 1300 core and 1750 memory on my card (sapphire rx560 2gb pulse oc) game STABLE TOO!

I locked my frequencys in Radeon Wattman global settings, and FPS are stable.

wattman.jpg

wattman2.jpg

Try to set this settings and play.

I hope it will be help you. Get some feedback if it helps.

P.S. sorry for my english, and screenshots on russian )))

vtecquila
Journeyman III

Best fix for ryzen csgo stutter problem , the only one that really helped me with the fps is this. Run CSGO go to task manager on processes tab and right click on csgo exe choose go to details , on details tab right click cs go exe again and choose Set affinity and uncheck CPU 0

razor33
Journeyman III

Hi, try tuning your gpu down. I was having a stuttering issue where the fps would drop to 30fps for a moment and go back up to the avg fps. This would occur every 5-10secs in game. However it wouldn't start right away, it would take a few minutes of game play to start. So I checked my temps and the gpu was at 83 deg when stuttering. So my friend asked me if I was overclocking my video card, and I said no, but then realized that maybe my card was overheating by default. So I then first under clocked my card at -9%, the gpu temps dropped to 74ish, and the stuttering stopped. I'm now running at -3% gpu, temps around 78, and no stuttering. Depending on your local temp and humidity, you may need to adjust further.

My video card is marketed as an OC model, but couldn't handle the default gpu clock settings 

Anyway, hopefully this can help others with the same problem, Happy gaming!!!

GPU_tuning.PNG

FYI - I tried adrenaline versions 17, 18, 19, various different cable & monitor combinations, and Radeon settings before I solved my issue.

0 Likes
rush7
Adept I

Hey all,
My PC started shutting down after playing 10 minutes after I got a Windows 10 update. Later I updated AMD Radeon Driver from AMD website, then I started using a different new UI to configure the GPU settings.

What I have done is to limit my FPS for CSGO between 75 and 160, now it is very smooth and there is no shutdown issue. I will post later the GPU settings for you guys.

0 Likes

You checked the gpu temperature?

0 Likes

Yes, GPU temperature was between 70-80, CPU temperature was between 55-60, I watched too long time it instantly was shutting down. It happened 4 times then I updated AMD software now it is OK. I think I was using quite old version, when Windows was updated it started failing I guess.

0 Likes

here are my new AMD radeon settings

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes