cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

peter028
Journeyman III

Hi, I'm trying to install a AMD Radeon RX570 card, I need to install a new PSU, my question is 'What are the external pin outs layout on the external 8 pin socket on the card?

Am trying to upgrade my graphics card so I can do VR with my flight sim. My current PSU is not up to the job and have a new one on order which appears to have power for external cards such as the RX570. Before I try and connect external power to the card I want to be sure I have them the correctly alligned.

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
9 Replies

If it is even available from them you would have to ask the company that made your card. MSI, Saphire, XFX etc.....

0 Likes

Thanks for the info

However I would expect the pin outs to conform to a standard as the manufacturer does not make power supply units

Peter

PsquaredPlanning

0 Likes

They would still be the best people to guarantee accurate data on what to use on their cards. The last thing I would want to do is assume and be wrong. As you didn't even give the actual maker and model of the card you have, I can't even try to verify that card on-line to give a better answer. AMD only controls reference designs. Almost all boards sold don't follow those designs, but do usually adhere to standards. It is very likely that your card adheres perfectly to standards. But I can't can't tell you that, but your cards maker can. 

0 Likes

For completeness the make and model is given in the title, AMD Radeon RX570. Thanks I will check out the AMD web site again. You would think they would include this in the installation instructions.

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

0 Likes

What completeness? I can read. You gave the name a reference model. RX 570. Not the card manufacturer. Or model from that manufacturer. Most of these makers have many cards of each. XFX alone list 7 different models of RX 570s! So again until YOU CARE TO SHARE what card you have nobody can speak intelligently to your question. Only guess. Many cards vary greatly in power delivery the more they are factory over clocked. For instance a  reference design with one 6 pin quick becomes one, 8 pin or a 2 sixes or a 6 and an 8. Nobody knows what options your card could have. Honestly once any of us do we are just going to google the same way you could and hope to find the information. None of us work for AMD we are all users just like you. Having to pull teeth to ask the person asking for help isn't helping yourself. 

This is from the requirements for even asking a question in this forum, make and model means who made it and what is their model number:

When posting a new question, please provide as much detail as possible describing your issue making sure to include the relevant hardware and software configuration.  
For example:

• Issue Description: [Describe your issue in detail here]
  • Hardware: [Describe the make and model of your: Graphics Card, CPU, Motherboard, RAM, PSU, Display(s), etc.]
  • Software: [Describe version or release date of your: Operating System, Game/Application, Drivers, etc.]
0 Likes

The newer PSU Models have specific GPU Power cables to connect to GPU Cards. They should be standardized GPU Power cables that would fit all GPU cards. They are made to connect and install only one way.

If your PSU doesn't come with the correct GPU Power connector you can purchase an GPU Power Adapter to make it fit in a GPU card. I needed to do this on my Nvidia GPU card which came with a 6 pin connector but I needed a 8 pin connector. So I purchased a 6 pin to 8 pin Adapter cable to hook up to my GPU card.

This website gives a very good explanation of GPU Power connectors with very close up photos of both the 6 and 8 Pin Power cables used by the GPU card. https://graphicscardhub.com/graphics-card-pcie-power-connectors/

0 Likes

By the way, according to this PSU-GPU website , the minimum PSU wattage you need with a RX570 installed in your computer is 500 Watts.

0 Likes

Thanks I’ll check this out

Peter

PsquaredPlanning

0 Likes

Thanks, for a very interesting article. Answers my question

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

0 Likes