cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

shane817
Newcomer

HELP: XFX R9 380x - Overheating, Fan Failure?

Hi,

So I built my computer in October of 2016. When I build it, everything worked great. Just recently, I have had issues while playing some games. I decided to open the case and see if there was some dust or something clogging the fans. Sure enough, one of them is not spinning. The one furthest to the back of the case, opposite side of the PCI-e connections on the card. I have tried using MSI Afterburner and the Radeon Settings to get the fan to kick on, I even tried manually spinning it with my finger to see if it would catch, and that did nothing. I think the fan has failed. I have seen that some people have had this issue in the past, but the xfx support user on this forum has not been logged in since 2018. Does anyone have any suggestions, or is there anyone from AMD or XFX support who can help me out? I know it may be under warranty also, and I have submitted a support ticket with both... Waiting on a reply to that as we speak.

What else I have tried:

-Fresh install of latest drivers

-Remove card, clean dust around fans, reinstall

-Check cables, nothing touching fan, PCI-e properly seated, etc...

-Adjusted Radeon Settings, Global Graphics/WattMan Fan Settings, etc...

-MSI Afterburner, also uninstalled it just in case that was causing issues

-Checked multiple temperature monitoring softwares, Speccy, etc...

-Tested card in a friends machine, still one fan not working

The heating issue... The card goes to 99 degrees celcius if I play any game pretty much. Apex Legends it just straight crashes. Starcraft2 runs at 95-99, Call of Duty 4, yeah the old one, runs around 90-95, even up to 99. Definitely something wrong...

Also, since I know someone will ask: No, I have never overclocked this card. I think it came with a factory OC, but that is something I learned years ago to never play with...

Thank you in advance.

Specs if needed:

Radeon Software Version - 19.3.1
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin 2019
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series
Memory Size - 4096 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 1030 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 16 GB
CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz

0 Likes