cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

DEEdward
Journeyman III

HELP! Powercolor 6800xt Artifacting & Black Screen

Has been using this Red Devil 6800xt for months and everything works just fine until last night - I was playing "It Takes Two" and temperature of the card was around 50c - 60c and suddenly the screen started to have artifacts with tearings, then black screen and pop up an AMD error message. So, I have to restart the pc but the artifacts were still there even during the login page. However, as soon as I uninstall the AMD driver, the weird artifacts disappear. The display works perfectly without the AMD driver. Nonetheless, the artifacts come back as soon as I install any version of the 6800xt driver. 

I tried to uninstall the AMD software/driver with DDU; tried to re-install windows; tried 6 different versions of the 6800xt drivers, and none of those work.

So, I'm wondering if any part of the card is broken? Or is it only a driver issue? If it's actually the card's hardware issue, why everything works so well without the AMD driver installed? (By saying works well, I mean no flickering, artifacts, or blackscreen)

Please help!!

0 Likes
2 Replies
Aeyesi
Adept I

This is most likely vram issue, its not a fault of drivers (propably), without them there is just no GPU acceleration thats why it works for you... Either your vram is bad (RMA) or the GPU is unstable at its default frequencies (check for VBIOS updates from brand you bought it... gigabyte, asus etc.)

0 Likes

I am not sure if this will help buy You can try to switch to second GPU bios.

0 Likes