cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

jmge09
Newcomer

HELP, MY NEW GRAPHICS CARD NO DISPLAY

Hello, good afternoon, I hope you are well. The reason why I am here is this: I bought a graphics card (AMD RADEON HD 5450 DDR3 2GB PCI-E), but it happens that when I install it on my computer, my computer does not turn on or show video to the screen. I used to have an NVIDIA graphics card but I decided to switch to AMD but it turns out that the graphics card does not show me an image on the screen. First it goes like this: The computer turns on, then the fan and the components inside it turn on, fixing that the processor fan tries a little, after a few seconds (between 4 to 5 seconds), the computer beeps , first two years ago, then wait a second more and do two more, and then repeat it. And in the end, the computer stays on, the fan working but nothing that shows me signal. Some help?

My specifications:

Lenovo A55

Pentium 4 631 Cedar Mill 3GHZ

1.5 GB RAM

Power Supply of 280Watts

I tried the graphics card on another computer of a family member (Intel Pentium Dual) and the card worked perfectly, and our computers are not so different. They are almost the same. It has 1.5 GB RAM just like me.

What can be?

0 Likes
23 Replies

The HD 5450 requires at least a PSU of 300 watts to work correctly.  (from 3D GURU website):

The card requires you to have a 300 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a mainstream system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 30 Amps available on the +12 volts rails.Feb 3, 2010

According to this website on you constantly hearing two beeps during POST is due to either PSU or System board problem.: PC Hell: BIOS Error Beep Codes .

This seems to be the closest to the type of BIOS you have installed:

Standard Original IBM POST Error Codes

1 short beepNormal POST - system is ok
2 short beepsPOST Error - error code shown on screen
No beepPower supply or system board problem
Continuous beepPower supply, system board, or keyboard problem
Repeating short beepsPower supply or system board problem
1 long, 1 short beepSystem board problem
1 long, 2 short beepsDisplay adapter problem (MDA, CGA)
1 long, 3 short beepsEnhanced Graphics Adapter (EGA)
3 long beeps3270 keyboard card

I would check your PSU. It probably isn't strong enough to run the HD 5450 card you installed.

If you have a different BIOS than IBM than go further down the website to locate and see what the beeps mean. The others indicate Memory Problems with 2 short beeps.

Plus you have a very old computer system that had originally probably had Windows XP on it. Please post your computer specs : INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

The specifications of my pc are:

lenovo a55 870

liteon ps 5281 7vw power supply

intel processor pentium 4 631 cedar mill

1.5 gb ram

windows 10 32bits

anything else?

The solution is buy the new power supply with more watts?, 500watts?, 400?

0 Likes

What PSU did the other computer have installed when you installed the HD 5450 on there?

It is your decision. If you computer works with the OLD GPU card you had before and doesn't work with the HD 5450 and the HD 5450 works fine on another computer. Then obviously you have some Hardware problem that is preventing the computer from working with the HD 5450.

the other computer have installed this psu:

liteon ps 5281 7vr and my pc have:

liteon ps 5281 7vw

They are almost the same. However I read that they have the same capacity (280w)

Is it because I have windows 10 on my computer and Windows 7 is installed on the other computer?

My cousin have this psu:

M57 280W POWER SUPPLY LITEON PS-5281-7VR 41A9737 41A9684 for IBM 6179 TOWER | eBay

And I have this psu:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Lenovo-ThinkCentre-280W-POWER-SUPPLY-LITEON-PS-5281-7VW-for-7393-Deskto...

They are practically the same sources. Will it be windows 10?

Or some other hardware?

0 Likes
jmge09
Newcomer

the other computer have installed this psu:

liteon ps 5281 7vr and my pc have:

liteon ps 5281 7vw

They are almost the same. However I read that they have the same capacity (280w)

Is it because I have windows 10 on my computer and Windows 7 is installed on the other computer?

My cousin have this psu:

M57 280W POWER SUPPLY LITEON PS-5281-7VR 41A9737 41A9684 for IBM 6179 TOWER | eBay

And I have this psu:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Lenovo-ThinkCentre-280W-POWER-SUPPLY-LITEON-PS-5281-7VW-for-7393-Deskto...

They are practically the same sources. Will it be windows 10?

Or some other hardware?

0 Likes

I don't believe it is Windows since Windows hasn't loaded up yet when you have the Error messages during POST. I don't want to say go purchase a new PSU and find out it has the same problem. But regardless, your PSU is still not strong enough for the HD 5450 which requires a minimum of 300 watt PSU installed. But even though, it should still boot up since the GPU card is not under heavy load and doesn't require much wattage.

How much RAM does the other computer have installed? the same as yours 1.5 gbytes?  That is almost the minimum amount of RAM needed to run Windows 10 x 32 bit computer (minimum is 1 gbyte of RAM).

See what is different, hardware wise between your computer and the other computer. Could be your PSU went bad. If possible you can always switch PSU from the other computer and install it on yours to see if it starts working. If it does, then that is a good indication your PSU went bad. I know it is a hassle, but switching a small PSU like yours shouldn't be that difficult.

With the other PSU install and still has the same problem, than use the RAM from the other computer and install it and see if it works. If not, than it could be your motherboard is damaged.

0 Likes

If we have 1.5gb of ram equal. Anyway, I'll do this test: I'll put the HD5450 and disconnect the hard drive or a song that answered me. The PSU honestly do not believe. It can also be the motherboard, I think my cousin's board has a motherboard with the yellow PCI-EX16 port and the port of my PC in black

0 Likes

do you know what type of PCIe slot your motherboard has? The HD 5450 requires PCIe 2.1 x 16 slot. Here the Specs for the HD 5450 from AMD Support: ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 Graphics . Copied from the link:

ATI RADEON™
HD 5450 GPU
ENGINE CLOCK400 MHz 650 MHz
MEMORYGDDR5
MEMORY CLOCK400 MHz DDR2 or 800 MHz DDR3
MEMORY BANDWIDTH6.4 GB/s DDR2 or 12.8 GB/s DDR3
SINGLE PRECISION COMPUTE POWER104 GFLOPs
TERASCALE 2 UNIFIED PROCESSING ARCHITECTURE
  • 80 Stream Processing Units
  • 8 Texture Units
  • 16 Z/Stencil ROP Units
  • 4 Color ROP Units
BUS INTERFACEPCI Express 2.1 x16

Is your HD 5450 AGP or PCIe?

0 Likes

I trying disable the hard disk and the ram memory, but no working.

Run the beeps (exaactly first beep beep, then beep beep, the rest 2 seconds, then beep beep, and beep beep)

then it does not do anything else, I also just realized that the keyboard does not turn on

0 Likes

my hd 5450 is pci-e

hd radeon ddr3 2gb pci-e

My port pci-e is 1.1

however, it is rare that it does not work for me, because my cousin's PC is also version 1.1

This is my pc:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cy/es/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre-a-series-desktops/t...

My cousin pc:

Detailed specifications - ThinkCentre A57 (type 9702, 9708, 9789, 9851) / M57e (type 9356, 9357, 943...

The pc of my cousin it has another motherboard, and its PCI port is yellow as I said

0 Likes
jmge09
Newcomer

my hd 5450 is pci-e

hd radeon ddr3 2gb pci-e

My port pci-e is 1.1

however, it is rare that it does not work for me, because my cousin's PC is also version 1.1

This is my pc:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cy/es/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre-a-series-desktops/t...

My cousin pc:

Detailed specifications - ThinkCentre A57 (type 9702, 9708, 9789, 9851) / M57e (type 9356, 9357, 943...

The pc of my cousin it has another motherboard, and its PCI port is yellow as I said

0 Likes

according to the info you gave concerning the A55 (Thinkcentre). The motherboard doesn't have a PCIe slot only PCI: Detailed specifications - ThinkCentre A55 (type 8706, 8972, 8982, 8994) / M55e (type 9278, 9288, 938... .

Slots

• Slot 1: Half-height 32 bit PCI 2.3
  • Slot 2: Half-height 32 bit PCI 2.3
  • Slot 3: Half-height 32 bit PCI 2.3

According to your cousin specs, his motherboard does have PCIe : Detailed specifications - ThinkCentre A57 (type 9702, 9708, 9789, 9851) / M57e (type 9356, 9357, 943...

Slots

• One PCI Express x16
  • One PCIe
  • Two PCI slot
0 Likes

What do you mean by that?

I have a gpu pci-e installed

(GEFORCE GT 8600), and it works normally, that's why I'm telling you, I do not understand

because I do not get the hd5450

0 Likes

I going by the model you gave me. A55 doesn't, according to Lenovo, doesn't  have pcie slots. Can you download and install a free program called SPECCY. It will tell you everything about your computer, if possible, including Make & Model of the installed computer components.

When you installed the AMD drivers did you uninstall the Nvidia Drivers and then use DDU in safe mode to remove the rest of the leftover drivers from Nvidia?

Sometimes the Nvidia drivers can have conflicts with the AMD Drivers.

0 Likes

Do you have a Facebook or something to be in touch with more often? Why do you help me? please? I do not want to lose my hd5450 card

I'm downloading speecy

0 Likes

What speecy information did you get?

0 Likes

amd1.JPGamd2.JPGamd3.JPG

Do you need other information?

0 Likes

As you see in these instants I have installed the NVIDIA graphics card, and it is pci-express x16

0 Likes

This User is having something similar to you :

He replaced the motherboard and now his GPU is working and recognized. This was his last comment that fixed his problem with his computer not recognizing his GPU card: GPU not detected, fans are spinning

ichmag (to ichmag)Less than a minute agoRe: GPU not detected, fans are spinning

Alright, I visited my local vendor and I had pretty interesting results.

My GPU seemed to work fine on other motherboards, even with PSUs at 300 Watt.

Meanwhile, the mainboard worked fine with GPUs (Obviously installed in the same spot). Apparently, my specific GPU just didnt work with that specific mainboard.

I just got a new mainboard and the problem's fixed.

0 Likes

Thank you very much, then I know it's the motherboard. I'm 100%, since my cousin has the same psu as me practically, what changes is the motherboard, since they are and I know it because they have a different pci-express port, and I say this because of the port color pci-express and other things .. I'll try to get a motherboard like my cousin's, anything I tell you. Thank you very much, could you give me your Facebook or something to be in contact with?

0 Likes

I am fairly active here at AMD Forums.

In my honest opinion, I believe a new updated motherboard will solve your problem. If it does, post back here again to let other Users know also.

I guess the cheapest way for you is to get another Motherboard that uses the same RAM Memory and CPU/APU. Be sure the new Motherboard is compatible with the RAM Modules and CPU/APU you now have installed and has a higher rated PCIe x16 slot.

I know that if you upgrade the motherboard, you have to replace the RAM and CPU/APU also which can get very expensive unless you upgrade the motherboard that uses the same RAM and CPU.

Note: I changed the link to the correct link in my previous comment concerning the User with similar problem. You may want to take a look at it now: GPU not detected, fans are spinning

0 Likes
jmge09
Newcomer

I trying disable the hard disk and the ram memory, but no working.

Run the beeps (exaactly first beep beep, then beep beep, the rest 2 seconds, then beep beep, and beep beep)

then it does not do anything else, I also just realized that the keyboard does not turn on

0 Likes

This is from the previous link concerning the HD 5450 specs. This is the minimum requirements to run the HD 5450: ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 Graphics

System requirements and recommendations:

• PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
  • 400 Watt or greater power supply recommended
  • Certified power supplies are recommended.  Refer to http://support.amd.com/en-us/recommended/power-suppliesfor a list of Certified products
  • Minimum 1GB of system memory
  • Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
  • DVD playback requires DVD drive
  • Blu-ray™ playback requires Blu-ray drive

The only thing I can say is some hardware in your computer is not compatible with the HD 5450. I don't know if it is the PSU or the Motherboard. Your cousin's computer is a newer model than the one you have. I can see that your motherboard does have PCIe slot.

The beeps (two short beeps) indicate, if your BIOS is by IBM, either PSU or Motherboard problem. Obviously, the HD 5450 is not compatible with your computer.

Open a AMD SUPPORT TICKET via Email Support: Email Form . Include a link to this thread and see what they say. Maybe they can tell you if the HD 5450 is compatible with your Lenovo Motherboard or PSU.

If the HD 5450 works in your cousin's computer it means something in your computer is not compatible with the HD 5450 GPU card. I would keep using the GT 8600 until you get an answer from AMD Support.