Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

arun05aravind
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: HDR movies not working on my PC with any AMD cards

My TV is an entry level TCL TV it has only 8-bit option

as you can see in the screenshots I have shared the drop down shows nothing but 8-bit.

also my issue with unable to enable HDR (HDR Auto turning off in windows settings) was resolved.

i changed from a 1.4 to 2.0b HDMI cable.

Many people told me that only the port in my display and GPU matters and I can ignore about the cable turns out cable is equally important 

I tried 3 new Hdmi 1.4 cables they all failed only the hdmi 2.0 cable worked.

i don’t know what is dynamic HDR and WGC and about those ratios like 4:4:4 can you guide me about them please.

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

arun05aravind wrote:

My TV is an entry level TCL TV it has only 8-bit option

as you can see in the screenshots I have shared the drop down shows nothing but 8-bit.

also my issue with unable to enable HDR (HDR Auto turning off in windows settings) was resolved.

i changed from a 1.4 to 2.0b HDMI cable.

Many people told me that only the port in my display and GPU matters and I can ignore about the cable turns out cable is equally important 

I tried 3 new Hdmi 1.4 cables they all failed only the hdmi 2.0 cable worked.

i don’t know what is dynamic HDR and WGC and about those ratios like 4:4:4 can you guide me about them please.

HDR requires a panel with native 10-bit or more color range

0 Kudos
leyvin
Miniboss
Miniboss

The Ratios (4:4:4 and 4:2:2) are Luma Compression Ratios.

i.e. the Brightness of the Pixel., the first is the overall Brightness; where-as the other do are for Red-Blue Brightness. 

Typically you can get away with halved Red-Blue to save on Bandwidth without it affecting the Colour too much... at least that's the theory. 

This is fine for "Most of the World" but some areas Colour Vision is different., and is a notable reason as to why NTSC and PAL approach Colour Compression very differently.

This does relate to the Bit Per Channel., but if we just use RGB as an example.

On an LDR Display; this is 5-6-5 (16bit., 5bit Red - 6bit Blue - 5bit Green) 

On an SDR Display; this is 8-8-8 (24bit., 8bit Red - 8bit Blue - 8bit Green)

On a HDR Display; this is 10-10-10 / 10-12-10 / 12-12-12 (30/32/36bit)

On a WCG Display; this is 16-16-16 (48bit) 

It changes if you're using YCrBr … typically SDR you want 4:2:2 because this will better represent Whites and Blacks without washing out Colours; where-as on HDR you want 4:4:4 as it has the additional Contrast to Display Properly. HDR is more about Contrast than it is about Colour Depth. 

For example my Display is a 12bit Studio Colour Display., but it's only 1:2500 Contrast (which isn't HDR) … this means while it can display up to 69 Billion Colours; it can't display more than 134 Million at any given time; this is still more than any SDR Display (which is limited to 16.4 Million at once) but noticeably less than the 1 Billion of HDR. As such it uses Dynamic HDR (which sounds a little redundant to say, but eh) where-in it can display it's full Gamut based upon the Contrast Range at the time, which is good enough for Films and most Games that aren't trying to show very bright with very dark at the same time. 

WGC (Wide Gamut Colour) is just the Range of Colour Possible. 

From the sounds of it you have a Standard Gamut display, with High Contrast … which means it strictly speaking doesn't support HDR10. 

As that requires both 10bit Per Channel AND a Contrast of 1:4000 or above. 

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

not sure about the OP but my panel with DisplayPort has 4:4:4 chrominance which means no degraded colors 

UHD BD disks look good on my panel

LG 27UL500

0 Kudos
StefaanC
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

My RX580  on a Threadipper board is also not able to play 4K streaming video even 2K is a problem 1080P at 60Hz no problem.

But funny, a downloaded 4K movie runs....fine  , I have a 300Mbps fiber net connection so is fast enough and I have a Sony 4K TV that has no problem to stream 4K Netflix or YouTube.    So it's sure not the internet connection that plays culprit.

I have a samsung 4K monitor. and try to run video always full screen but only stable 4K on downloaded video's so the system can deal with 4K.   Streaming no go except the Samsung TV. On the monitor no go , Connected via display port cable.

Windows 10 Pro build 19042.746, 128GB ram, drivers up to date via windows update.

0 Kudos
StefaanC
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

funny enough an older computer based on Intel i5 with a geforce gtx1650 video card  running Linux  mint can  play  4k at 60  Hz but the  amd threadripper  running at 3.5 Ghz  on windows10, wrong world.

0 Kudos
StefaanC
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

[solved]  But be careful,dangerous actions.

First remove all radeon drivers, then I had to delete all keys related to radeon in the registry, reboot and then install latest drivers.

4K HDR 60Hz works. Needless to say,fiddling around in the registry is very dangerous but I had to do it due to registry corruption.

I've made a backup of the registry this time and will do that every time when installing something. No hard disks  all pci-e SSD.

0 Kudos
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

@moose wrote:

Another couple of strange things I noticed in the AMD software is that it says that HDCP is disabled and under the audio settings panel it says that HDCP is NOT supported. When I use the GTX 1060 in the settings they all say that HDCP is supported for the card and audio.

Screenshot_12.png

0 Kudos