cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

moose
Adept I

HDR movies not working on my PC with any AMD cards

Hello, First of all I'd like to say I bought a Nvidia GTX 1060 when they first came out and HDR games and movies both play fine on my pc. I then bought a Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB and couldn't get HDR to work at all So I sent the card back. Card cost me $425. I then purchased a Radeon Vega 64 8GB and could only get games to display in HDR everything I have tried to do to fix it or get it working has failed. I have a very hi-spec pc that can run everything. I contacted AMD and to see if they could help with the problem they asked me a few questions about my setup and to supply them with my dxdiag file which I did and in it says that my Vega 64 is HDR compatible. They then passed my problem onto their expert technicians who replied by sending me to a Microsoft link about HDR problems. I had already been to the link and it didn't help me at all. They now don't answer any of my questions. I paid $975 for the Vega 64 and $425 for the RX 580 and neither of them play native HDR movies. As I said I have a GTX 1060 and all HDR works as it should. With the 1060 I turn on HDR in the windows setting (have advanced colour turned on in the tv settings) use powerdvd 17 to play the HDR movies and the tv (LG OLED65C6P) switches to HDR and the movies look great. The desktop looks dull but I can live with that if the movies play in HDR. With the Vega 64 I can turn on HDR in windows play the HDR file through Powerdvd 17 the HDR signal does not come up, the movie looks washed out but If i hit info on the tv button it says it's in BT2020 and HDR but it's not working at all. If someone can help please I'd really appreciate it as the experts couldn't help Im almost ready to throw a $975 card in the bin and never buy a AMD product again.

Im running Windows 10 Pro 1709 Version 16299.214

Use Powerdvd 17 to play the HDR content

Display settings are set to 12bpc YCbCr 4.2.0 in amd software (I use the same settings in Nvidia control panel with the GTX 1060)

Any other info you need I'm happy to provide.

Another couple of strange things I noticed in the AMD software is that it says that HDCP is disabled and under the audio settings panel it says that HDCP is NOT supported. When I use the GTX 1060 in the settings they all say that HDCP is supported for the card and audio.

0 Likes
17 Replies
leyvin
Miniboss

Enable GPU Scaling., some displays don't support 1080p HDR and with this option disabled Radeon Graphics won't automatically Upscale to 4K ... you'll also want your desktop to be 2160p.

I'd also strongly recommend switching to 10bpc (12bpc is for Wide Gamut Colour / Professional Displays) as well as YCbCr or RGB (which I'd recommend RGB) to 4:4:4 (Full / PC Standard) Mode.

This should resolve all of the issues.

0 Likes

Hello Leyvin, I thank you for your quick reply mate. I just Enabled GPU Scaling (which was turned off) tried HDR and it didn't work. Set it to 10bpc YCbCr and it didn't work. My resolution was already set to 2160p. Tried RGB and 4:4:4 (Full / PC Standard) Mode (which is only 8bpc not 10/12) that didn't work either. :-(

0 Likes

LG OLED65C6V Product Support

Try updating the On-Board Software., the package also includes Windows/Mac Drivers which also might help, but I'm curious... there are Multiple HDMI (2.0a) inputs, however it's common that only one of these will be PC Compatible (Listed HDMI / DVI on the back) which just signifies a switch to PC Display Mode if there is such a signal detected.

I'm not familiar with LG., but I know with my Samsung Displays that I either have to use the DisplayPort or a specific HDMI (DVI) Connection otherwise it remains in TV / Game Mode. As such if you still have your GTX 1060 connected in said HDMI Port., and your RX VEGA in another HDMI Port; this might explain why HDR / HDCP are inactive... as this is something that occurs on my Samsung secondary HDMI, although HDMI Link (which is Inactive on the HDMI/DVI Port) does work.

I couldn't tell you why though., probably some incompatibility between VESA and HDMI approaches.

That could be the issue here, so try swapping the port to see if it resolves the issues.

0 Likes

Hello, thank you again for your reply and help mate. The software for my Oled Tv on the website is 05.30.10 but the Tv is currently updated to SW version 05.10.15. In regards with the hdmi ports, My pc only boots one video card at a time So I never have both running or plugged in at the same time. The gtx 1060 and the vega 64 get plugged into the same port hdmi1. I just tried the other 2 ports and it didn't make a difference sorry. I've tried pretty much everything I just don't understand why the Nvidia works and the AMD on the exact same PC and ports and settings does not work. The tv says its in hdr bt2020 but just wont switch to hdr when the movie is played it stays dull.

0 Likes

Did you try another software? Try mpc-hc.

1: To access the video decoding options, open mpc hc, press o for options, go to internal filters, and click Video Decoder at the bottom.  Set Hardware acceleration to "DXVA2 native"

2. Try mpc-hc with madvr

Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

madvr should work:

RX 480 and LG 4K/HDR OLED, no 10bit and no HDR

Remember to go fullscreen in software.

Further readings:

Madvr HDR Passthrough isn't working. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

and maybe you need to tweak reg according to this old thread here:

madVR 10-bit Display Support Test - Doom9's Forum

Thank you for trying to help. I tried the registry trick and it did nothing. I tried fiddling around with madvr and mpc-hc and I couldn't get it to do anything. Honestly I didn't pay $975 for a video card to have to play around with software to make things work. I should only have to turn deep colour on the tv, hit the hdr switch in windows then play the file through powerdvd 17 and the monitor should detect the content and switch to hdr. This problem is a real Pita.

Just a question... but have you tried playing using Windows DVD or Movies and Films?

The issue here could be that Power DVD simply doesn't support AMD., in fact Radeon are curiously absent from the Recommended / Supported Devices for anything outside of DVD and VR.

All UHD / HDR / 4K are stating that they're only supported on Intel 7th Gen or NVIDIA Maxwell 2.0 Architecture or Later.

It isn't uncommon for Products to often utilise Intel / NVIDIA SDK in order to offer support for Advanced Features or Hardware Acceleration., as opposed to the Open Standards that AMD typically uses.

Real 4K HDR 60fps: Anna's Hummingbird in HDR - YouTube

Use that Channel for testing., if that displays correctly (which enabling and disabling HDR Video will allow you to check) then the issue is definitely with Power DVD.

arun05aravind
Journeyman III

Unable to turn on HDR tried with 2160 and 1080 on both 60hz and 30hz it keeps toggling back off instantly.
Windows 10 Build 1903(18362.449)
Display- TCL iFFALCON 55K2A(I can play HDR10 videos via pendrive directly on the TV and it looks great)
PC(RX580 Red Devil Golden Sample 8GB) to Display(TCL iFFALCON 55K2A) via HDMI 2.0 cable

Note: When playing Resident Evil 2(2019) and Devil May Cry 5 HDR turns on automatically and the TV says HDR10 is ON but it makes everything look worse colors are washed off and looks foggy DMC5 I have to change the resolution to 1440p/1080p and then back to 2160p to turn off HDR to play without HDR(which looks better-normal) in RE2 I have to turn off HDR in game settings to turn off HDR and play without HDR if I play in windowed mode in any resolution on those games HDR won't turn on.

Sometimes if I play in 1080p HDR ON and in full screen and then if I switch to desktop using alt+tab or win+tab then in windows settings it shows HDR ON automatically but even my desktop looks way worse with washed off colors and a foggy screen and even the texts are unreadable, So I have to turn off HDR in the settings.

Radeon Settings Advisor keeps telling me to apply HDR and WGC when I hit apply same thing happens the screen flashes for a sec and then if I hit scan again it will show the same message.

will attach the pics of my radeon settings I never changed them it's all default

What might be the problem is there any way to fix it?
Please help me out.

Dxdiag info if that helps
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Radeon RX 580 Series
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Current Mode: 3840 x 2160 (32 bit) (60Hz)
HDR Support: Supported
Display Topology: Internal
Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709
Color Primaries: Red(0.659180,0.339844), Green(0.244141,0.669922), Blue(0.129883,0.040039), White Point(0.312500,0.329102)
Display Luminance: Min Luminance = 0.010000, Max Luminance = 1499.000000, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 799.000000
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: TCL SMART TV
Monitor Id: TCL0058
Native Mode: 3840 x 2160(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HDMI
Monitor Capabilities: HDR Supported (BT2020RGB BT2020YCC Eotf2084Supported )
Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BPP
Advanced Color: AdvancedColorSupported

0 Likes

In the Display Settings., switch the Colour Depth from 8bpc (bit-per-colour) to 10/12bpc... otherwise HDR10 will use Dynamic HDR instead of Wide Gamut.

0 Likes

My TV is an entry level TCL TV it has only 8-bit option

as you can see in the screenshots I have shared the drop down shows nothing but 8-bit.

also my issue with unable to enable HDR (HDR Auto turning off in windows settings) was resolved.

i changed from a 1.4 to 2.0b HDMI cable.

Many people told me that only the port in my display and GPU matters and I can ignore about the cable turns out cable is equally important 

I tried 3 new Hdmi 1.4 cables they all failed only the hdmi 2.0 cable worked.

i don’t know what is dynamic HDR and WGC and about those ratios like 4:4:4 can you guide me about them please.

0 Likes

arun05aravind wrote:

My TV is an entry level TCL TV it has only 8-bit option

as you can see in the screenshots I have shared the drop down shows nothing but 8-bit.

also my issue with unable to enable HDR (HDR Auto turning off in windows settings) was resolved.

i changed from a 1.4 to 2.0b HDMI cable.

Many people told me that only the port in my display and GPU matters and I can ignore about the cable turns out cable is equally important 

I tried 3 new Hdmi 1.4 cables they all failed only the hdmi 2.0 cable worked.

i don’t know what is dynamic HDR and WGC and about those ratios like 4:4:4 can you guide me about them please.

HDR requires a panel with native 10-bit or more color range

0 Likes

The Ratios (4:4:4 and 4:2:2) are Luma Compression Ratios.

i.e. the Brightness of the Pixel., the first is the overall Brightness; where-as the other do are for Red-Blue Brightness. 

Typically you can get away with halved Red-Blue to save on Bandwidth without it affecting the Colour too much... at least that's the theory. 

This is fine for "Most of the World" but some areas Colour Vision is different., and is a notable reason as to why NTSC and PAL approach Colour Compression very differently.

This does relate to the Bit Per Channel., but if we just use RGB as an example.

On an LDR Display; this is 5-6-5 (16bit., 5bit Red - 6bit Blue - 5bit Green) 

On an SDR Display; this is 8-8-8 (24bit., 8bit Red - 8bit Blue - 8bit Green)

On a HDR Display; this is 10-10-10 / 10-12-10 / 12-12-12 (30/32/36bit)

On a WCG Display; this is 16-16-16 (48bit) 

It changes if you're using YCrBr … typically SDR you want 4:2:2 because this will better represent Whites and Blacks without washing out Colours; where-as on HDR you want 4:4:4 as it has the additional Contrast to Display Properly. HDR is more about Contrast than it is about Colour Depth. 

For example my Display is a 12bit Studio Colour Display., but it's only 1:2500 Contrast (which isn't HDR) … this means while it can display up to 69 Billion Colours; it can't display more than 134 Million at any given time; this is still more than any SDR Display (which is limited to 16.4 Million at once) but noticeably less than the 1 Billion of HDR. As such it uses Dynamic HDR (which sounds a little redundant to say, but eh) where-in it can display it's full Gamut based upon the Contrast Range at the time, which is good enough for Films and most Games that aren't trying to show very bright with very dark at the same time. 

WGC (Wide Gamut Colour) is just the Range of Colour Possible. 

From the sounds of it you have a Standard Gamut display, with High Contrast … which means it strictly speaking doesn't support HDR10. 

As that requires both 10bit Per Channel AND a Contrast of 1:4000 or above. 

0 Likes

My RX580  on a Threadipper board is also not able to play 4K streaming video even 2K is a problem 1080P at 60Hz no problem.

But funny, a downloaded 4K movie runs....fine  , I have a 300Mbps fiber net connection so is fast enough and I have a Sony 4K TV that has no problem to stream 4K Netflix or YouTube.    So it's sure not the internet connection that plays culprit.

I have a samsung 4K monitor. and try to run video always full screen but only stable 4K on downloaded video's so the system can deal with 4K.   Streaming no go except the Samsung TV. On the monitor no go , Connected via display port cable.

Windows 10 Pro build 19042.746, 128GB ram, drivers up to date via windows update.

0 Likes

funny enough an older computer based on Intel i5 with a geforce gtx1650 video card  running Linux  mint can  play  4k at 60  Hz but the  amd threadripper  running at 3.5 Ghz  on windows10, wrong world.

0 Likes

[solved]  But be careful,dangerous actions.

First remove all radeon drivers, then I had to delete all keys related to radeon in the registry, reboot and then install latest drivers.

4K HDR 60Hz works. Needless to say,fiddling around in the registry is very dangerous but I had to do it due to registry corruption.

I've made a backup of the registry this time and will do that every time when installing something. No hard disks  all pci-e SSD.

0 Likes

not sure about the OP but my panel with DisplayPort has 4:4:4 chrominance which means no degraded colors 

UHD BD disks look good on my panel

LG 27UL500

0 Likes

@moose wrote:

Another couple of strange things I noticed in the AMD software is that it says that HDCP is disabled and under the audio settings panel it says that HDCP is NOT supported. When I use the GTX 1060 in the settings they all say that HDCP is supported for the card and audio.

Screenshot_12.png

0 Likes