Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

gadlinux
Newcomer

HD7850 freeze when set under small pressure

Hi,

I found that I can freeze the HD7850 OC 2GB by putting it into small pressure. For example I recently found it freezing my system by just going to the galaxy map inside "Elite Dangerous" and navigating to a nebula. This just makes my computer fully freeze. My system is Windows 10 fully updated until today.

It's curious that trying to pressure it a lot more with a benchmark like unity superposition, it never crashes. Even on max setting.

The temperature never goes more than 65 and normally stays low. So it must be other thing. All drivers from version 10.6 made it crash. And even before.

It's quite strange I think it's something related to performance of the card and the game.

My system:

Versión de software de Radeon - 18.10.2

Edición de software de Radeon - Adrenalin

Chipset gráfico - AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

Tamaño de memoria - 2048 MB

Tipo de memoria - GDDR5

Reloj central - 1000 MHz

Versión de Windows - Windows 10 (64 bit)

Memoria del sistema - 48 GB

Tipo de CPU - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5660 @ 2.80GHz

Versión de configuración de Radeon - 2018.1019.2302.41478

Versión del paquete de controladores - 18.40.07.01-181019a-335076E-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin

Proveedor - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Versión de controlador 2D - 8.1.1.1634

Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01363

OpenGL® Version - 24.20.11000.13541

OpenCL™ Version - 25.20.14007.1000

Versión AMD Mantle - 9.1.10.0282

Versión de API AMD Mantle - Not Available

Versión del controlador de audio de AMD - 10.0.1.7

Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.55

Vulkan™ API Version - 1.1.82

Fabricante de tarjeta gráfica - Powered by AMD

Chipset gráfico - AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

ID del dispositivo - 6818

ID del proveedor - 1002

ID de subsistema - 0432

ID del proveedor de subsistema - 1043

ID de revisión - 00

Tipo de bus - PCI Express 3.0

Configuración actual de bus - PCI Express 2.0 x16

Versión del BIOS - 015.021.000.002

Número de parte de BIOS - 113-AD41000-103

Fecha de BIOS - 2012/06/11 21:43

Tamaño de memoria - 2048 MB

Tipo de memoria - GDDR5

Reloj de memoria - 1200 MHz

Reloj central - 1000 MHz

Ancho de banda total de memoria - 153 GByte/s

Velocidad de bits de memoria - 4.80 Gbps

Ruta de archivo de controlador 2D - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0000

My host is a HP Z800 as seen above. Fully desperate about how to avoid it to crash. Nearly all VR games crashes my system. Even the Oculus Home does it. If I leave it to load all home background stuff. So I must keep the old Oculus Home laying around or never enter on VR Home.

Any ideas on what to do?

I changed BIOS configuration. Powered off second monitor. Lowered graphic settings. Etcc. Nothing prevents it from crashing...

0 Likes
4 Replies
gadlinux
Newcomer

I tried outside VR and it works perfectly. So it seems that's something related to performance or just a game or driver bug.

It doesn't seems to be a game bug because it happens in all games under VR that stresses the card. Robo Recall, Elite Dangerous, I've seen error even in XCOM 2 outside VR.

In fact I opened an incident with Frontier (Elite Dangerous) to help track a specific problem.

Frontier Support Knowledgebase

I think this is related to multicore systems because it doesn't happen to much people, and the difference may be my system. 46GB, 12 hyperthreading cores. But that's better that you say...

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
theacclaimed
Miniboss

"freezing my system by just going to the galaxy map inside "Elite Dangerous" and navigating to a nebula"

This might be a bug specific to this game. Please report this to both AMD and the game developer.

http://amd.com/report

Frontier Support Knowledgebase

Hi,

Yes, that's the easy response. But no. The problem as I said happens EVERY time the card is under pressure in VR. It doesn't matter what game is it. It can be RoboRecall for example any other.

So no, it's not a game specific bug. But I reported already to frontier. Because they may help to point out what's the problem. And everytime is the same. Slow framerate and laggy VR and then freeze. I can reproduce on some games 100% of time, sometimes, with very few actions.

Even if it has something to do with developer it's incredible that a bug can just freeze whole Windows 10. My experience is that the bug is in Radeon Driver. But let's see what AMD has to say.

0 Likes

Ok. It's not the card. The same game under much more pressure under linux doesn't hangs. And I say under much more pressure, because I have the linux opensource OpenHMD driver, the VR Steam compositor, X11 and so on. But the card doesn't crash.

So it's something related to windows driver or Windows itself.

Can someone check it, please?

0 Likes