cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

johnedwards
Journeyman III

HD6750 maximum resolution/upgrade

I've recently upgraded my monitor to a BenQ QHD which offers my desired 2560 x 1440 resolution.

However, my AMD HD 6750 video card won't output more than 1920 x 1080.

On the assumption that this can't be adjusted (?), I need to upgrade to a card which CAN provide QHD.

But I have a particular problem in that my Medion PC is 8 years old (originally 64-bit Win7; now Win10) and its motherboard has legacy BIOS. So I need an old (pre-UEFI) used card which can cope with this - and also with limited power availability (450w PSU) - so preferably one with a 6-pin connector (like the old one).

I've tried a couple of AMD Radeons (RX 460 2GB and R7 260X 2GB) - with no output detected - and lastly a MSI NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750Ti 2GB which offered a micro-switch between Legacy BIOS and Hybrid/UEFI. Interestingly, this worked as I hoped - for a day and then (whenever the latest drivers were re-installed) produced a corrupted screen on loading Windows (thin red, black and white horizontal lines, in columns - see attached) - on either switch setting. By suppressing the installation of GeForce drivers (using DDU) I was just able to continue to use the card with internet connected - but in a horrible (VGA) resolution.

I am assured that the card worked perfectly by the private vendor (who has been very helpful) - so it must be that the card, or more likely the drivers, are incompatible with my system. I've now removed it and I'm back to the HD6750 - and square one.

Can anyone suggest an appropriate card, preferably AMD?

Thanks for your time

John

PS I was offered (and have downloaded) a 'custom' BIOS update for the motherboard to allow it to communicate with UEFI video cards; however, I haven't dared to try it due the the unofficial source (a keen individual contributor to the Medion User forum, who has since disappeared!) and the apparently high risk of 'bricking' the PC mobo.......

0 Likes
2 Replies

If that video card features a DisplayPort output it should be capable of 2560x1440.

0 Likes

I'm afraid that it doesn't.

0 Likes