cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

cinderwolf
Journeyman III

HD5870 mobility driver needed

I'm looking after formatting my friend's laptop (ASUS G73JH) and of course... now comes the task of driver updates (the old partition wasn't salvageable).

Through the AMD site, the most recent catalyst/driver combination for the mobility hd5870 series was attempted and installs all software except the driver FAILS during installation. Excerpt from the report is at the bottom.

I need assistance finding the most recent stable and install-able version of drivers for this card for Windows 7 x64 SP1. I've tried slews of other sites for older versions but none of them actually contain the drivers themselves and I'm nearly tearing my hair out here....

Packages for install

AMD Catalyst Install Manager

Final Status:Success
Version of Item:8.0.916.0
Size:20 Mbytes

AMD Display Driver

Final Status:Fail
Version of Item:15.200.1062.1004
Size:90 Mbytes

AMD Drag and Drop Transcoding

Version of Item:2.00.0000
Size:1 Mbytes

AMD Catalyst Control Center

Version of Item:2015.0804.21.41908
Size:150 Mbytes
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: HD5870 mobility driver needed

0 Kudos
kingfish
MVP

No graphics driver will install correctly until you have fully updated your laptop from Windows Update. This includes the 'optional' and 'recommended' updates, which includes all .netframework and C++ upgrades. After a reboot, go back to WU and check again..until there are no more.

Does this laptop have 'switchable graphics' ? If so, ignore the following...and tell us.

These are the latest drivers (Beta or WHQL) for your laptop > Legacy download and save to your desktop.

Delete the old drivers using 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel. Select "Express Uninstall" all AMD software including the install manager. Reboot. Install the new drivers. Reboot.

Note: Do not choose Express Install when installing the new drivers...unless you want raptr/gaming Evolved automatically installed along with the graphics drivers. Choose 'custom' install and uncheck 'Gaming Evolved'.

0 Kudos
xeleron
Miniboss

You should tell him to also update the Intel INF drivers,they are generally not installed by Windows Update and they can cause quite alot of pain if not installed.

0 Kudos