Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

phertzog
Journeyman III

HD 6850, how to run 4 monitors

Hi there,

I'm trying to extend my desktop onto 4 monitors with the HD 6850 card. I can get 3 monitors to work, but not the 4th.

My OS is 64-bit Windows 10, and the monitors are all brand new HP VH240a (I've verified they all work)

Here's how the 4 connections on the graphics card are set up:

1.) Display Port -- Active DisplayPort to HDMI 4K Adapter >> HDMI cable to monitor

2.) HDMI port -- HDMI cable to monitor

3.) DVI port -- DVI to HDMI adapter >> HDMI cable to monitor

4.) DVI port -- DVI to HDMI adapter >> HDMI cable to monitor

Of the above connections, I can get #1, #2, and *either* #3 or #4 to work, but not *both* #3 and #4.

Any tips or advice? Thanks for your time!

0 Likes
3 Replies

There's only two RAMDACs on the HD 6000 series cards, so while two monitors can be connected to the HDMI and DVI ports, the rest must be connected to the DisplayPort connector via MST hub.

Thanks for that info, I'll pick up a MST hub and give that a shot!

0 Likes

You should think about upgrading your video card to a supported model instead, as the HD 6000 series is legacy and will not be receiving updates. The RX 570, for example, is only $160, is 3x faster than the 6850, and has 3 DisplayPort outputs along with an HDMI, so along with your existing active DP-HDMI adapter, just two more for the other two DisplayPorts will satisfy the requirement. MST hubs can run upwards of $100.

0 Likes