cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

tikwid
Adept II

Hard Freeze with Crossfire Enabled

Just decided to try adding a second GPU to my system. My new card is an RX 580 while the old one is an RX 480. The RX 580 is in the primary slot. Everything runs fine in single GPU mode but if I boot up a game like Overwatch while crossfire is enabled in the global settings, the system hard freezes (no BSOD) as soon as the main menu loads (where there are 3D graphics being rendered). Is this a power supply issue? I tried making sure both cards are seated properly and the power connections are solid. It's 850 Thermaltake PSU. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
113 Replies

Hi

What happens if you turn the power limit down by 50% on each card?
How about when you turn the limit down on one card versus the other?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Turning down power limit on both cards still results in a crash.

0 Likes

OK.

Could you please tell me the exact Card names / product ID's please so I can look at the card specs?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Yes I got them thanks.
Bye.

0 Likes

Could you please confirm exactly which version of Windows you are running and which AMD Driver you have installed?

0 Likes

Windows 10 Version 1803
AMD 18.4.1

Both the latest

0 Likes

OK Thanks.
Is that Windows 10 Pro or home?
If you go to All Settings -> System -> About it should tell you exact information.
In Windows 10  am running. 

Edition: Windows 10 Pro.

Version: 17.09.
OS Build 16299.431

Also can I ask if you go to Update and Security -> Advanced options do you see options like these?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

I'm on home. I don't have a "choose when updates are installed" option

0 Likes

Hi,

That might be part of the problem.

I understand you said that you have already completed all of the checklist I posted where I asked you to run DDU in Safe Mode  to remove your AMD Drivers.
I stated in that list make sure you turn Windows Update off.
Since you have Windows 10 home you cannot do that. Not your fault.

Can I please ask if you checked what Device Manager -> Display Adapters showed after ran DDU in Safe Mode and you rebooted into Windows in normal mode? 

Are you absolutely certain that Windows Update did not see that your PC was running with no AMD Drivers (just Microsoft Basic Display Adapter) and installed what Microsoft thinks are the correct AMD Driver during your PC Boot up in Normal Mode?

The last time I checked this, Microsoft Update was installing an old version (17.7.1 I think - I would need to go back and double check) of AMD Crimson ReLive.  
This can happen, I know people running Windows 10 Home have seen this problem and I can get it to happen in Windows 10 Pro if I do not disable Microsoft Updates. There is at least one post on this forum where this issue was reported.

If you did not check what Device Manager -> Display Adapter shows then it is possible that  Microsoft Windows 10 Update has installed an old version of AMD Crimson ReLive.

If you then went to AMD Driver Download and run the AMD Windows 10 installer, last time I checked, it will not see the Microsoft installed AMD Drivers and it will proceed with the installation telling you everything worked.

You as the User will have no idea that you have just installed one AMD Adrenalin Driver on top of an AMD Crimson ReLive installation.

This can result in an unstable driver and unexplained game crashing.

If you are certain that this has not happened during your driver installation then the issue could be something else.

​Sorry I have not found a solution to your problem yet.

​If you can post information on exactly which cards you are running I can investigate some more. 

​Also if you could download 3DMark Firestrike Demo and run that with Crossfire on versus Crossfire off and post the comparison it would also be a useful datapoint.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

I am certain Windows did not install over my driver. I actually have had that happen to me before but it doesn't appear to be the case here.

I did post links to the official manufacturer product pages earlier but it is still awaiting moderator approval. I'll just type them here:

MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR MK2 8G OC

XFX RX-480M8BBA6

OK

Thanks.

I will take a look at the card specs next.

Bye.

0 Likes

This situation has already got previous threads similar to your issue even on this forum if you search:

Overwatch : Enabling crossfire results in BSOD

Best AMD Radeon settings for Overwatch? Crossfire Rx580

Crossfire Flickering in overwatch

I have two video card HD 6870 in crossfire. In game Overwatch crossfire not working. Driver 16.5.3 d...

triple 390x crossfire failed on overwatch

https://community.amd.com/message/2744354#comment-2744354

https://community.amd.com/message/2826716#comment-2826716

Crossfire issues for overwatch, how can I keep up to date on progress being made with this?

Etc....

There are probably at least another 20 threads. This is why I told you what I told you. I know of nobody having fixed it. I can't explain why one config works and anther doesn't. We in this forum don't work for AMD and don't make the drivers, nor does you telling us about your issue tell AMD as you need to open a support ticket for that.  I was just trying to tell you the reality of the situation.

0 Likes

Looks like lots of those posts are from around the launch date of Overwatch, so not surprising there were problems with Crossfire at launch.

0 Likes

I didn't list them all not even close as I already said, and there are posts all the way up till this one too, and the net is full of them if you google it too. It doesn't play nice with SLI either. The game just isn't apparently well optimized for dual graphics. As I said the whole time, most games from the last few games have poor to no optimization for crossfire. Even SLI doesn't get the support it used to. My opinion on why that is is 2 fold. A. the industry is currently working on new titles on new engines that will be focused on multi-gpu which will retire Crossfire and SLI. B. Because single card solutions have gotten so much more powerful and so many that had dual graphics before with issues and the realization it only worked on handfuls of titles at best aren't doing the same thing when they buy their next generation tech. I do think that if multi-gpu comes on the scene and works well that will likely change again and in a way bigger then ever, as you won't need to retire as many cards, just add to them.

0 Likes

Hi,

RE: The game just isn't apparently well optimized for dual graphics.

For Overwatch I am seeing about 1.7 scaling with Crossfire on I run on PCIe3.0x8 bandwidth for both cards on my system. That seems reasonably well optimised to me.
I have just shown that severely restricting the PCIe bandwidth down to PCIe2.0x8 primary + lower than PCIe2.0x4 secondary results in ~ 1.0 or slightly above Crossfire Scaling in the game depending on how I set the Wattman settings on the R9 Nano.
I see no crashing or Graphics Corruption so far in either case.
I am running the game on EPIC settings at 1080p.

Single solution AMD Card RX Vega 64 Liquid edition is not that much higher performance than an R9 Fury X 4GB Card after many years of waiting.
I get higher performance than an RX Vega 64 Liquid in Prey DX11 by running Crossfire with  Sapphire R9 Fury X and a PowerColor R9 Nano, and similar performance with a pair of R9 Nanos last time I tested it.

Bye.

0 Likes

Awesome, and who said that it could not be played in crossfire?  I only ever pointed out that many, many people have complained that it does not run well for them. Of course you are correct and all of them are wrong because after hours of trial and error you got it working. Because they didn't go though all of what you did to make that happen the world is wrong and you are correct. The average person just wants to double click and play a game and when that doesn't work they typically find a simple solution, replacement or give up out of frustration. I would only ever suggest the path of least resistance as life is too short. Bravo for those of you that revel in making the tough happen, often times you are what make things better for the rest of us, most are not going to do that. The funny thing is that I never once said that any of what you said is wrong, it just isn't unilateral. I said that I don't know why it works on one system and not another. Really the only thing you did is prove everything I said. Kudos to you for thinking the opposite!

Bye.

0 Likes

Hi,

Crossfire DX11 in Overwatch worked fine for me with no problems at all the first time I launched it. I did not need hours of trial and error to get it working.
I did not initially have access to the game. 
I got access to it for testing purposes, installed it, launched it in Crossfire DX11, it worked first time showing good scaling , I recorded and posted a video.

This is a Support Forum where people ask for help to find out what might be wrong if they have a problem.

I have just been trying to help find out what might cause the problem for them by changing my System setup to run on very limited PCIe bandwidth.
The time I have spent is to debug what might be wrong with their System, not mine, in an effort to debug what is wrong, and try to determine why Crossfire is not working in Overwatch for them.

Bye.

0 Likes
tikwid
Adept II

Here's an update. I tried to see what other games I had that were supposed to be excellent with crossfire. Alan Wake, an old game, seems to work just fine without any problems as far as I can tell. The crossfire logo appears in the top right corner while running the game. However, I tried a more modern game, Gears of War 4, and this actually results in a BSOD. I tried doing some research about GoW4 specifically and there a few other issues with the same problem but no solution was found... which tells me it might just be a small handful of other users with hardware conflicts/issues. So Crossfire seems to be technically working, but my system is crashing on more demanding/recent games.

Hi,

I think maybe your CPU cooling needs improved or your CPU needs upgraded to run Crossfire in more modern games.
What is happening to the CPU utilization in the newer games that will not run for you?
Specifically what is the primary CPU Core utilization?

AMD DX11 driver mostly runs on 1 CPU Core which is one reason why DX12 performs better for AMD cards provided the game is well optimized.

Here is the low bandwidth Overwatch Video I promised you at the end of this post.
It has PCIe 2.0x8 R9 Fury X + PCIe 2.0x4 R9 Nano running in an unsupported Thunderbolt 2.0 enclosure using Windows 8.1 64 bit (dropped OS by AMD) using an unsupported(for Windows 8.1 64 bit)  AMD 18.3.4 Windows 7 Driver.

This is absolutely the most ridiculous test I could think of to try to see if Crossfire has a problem with crashing due to limited PCIe bandwidth on Overwatch for my cards at least, and is lower bandwidth than what you have available on your motherboard. Please note that the Thunderbolt enclosure causes ~ a 5% performance hit versus running the R9 Nano directly in a PCIe2.0x4 slot based on my previous 3DMark Firestrike testing.

ReLive worked after I logged out and back in to Windows. 
Performance Overlay would not engage this time ... again happens sometime running on standard dual PCIe 3.0x8 connection.

I did check the Activity in both cards by monitoring them in Wattman, they are both running at ~ 100% with some peaks and lows at times.

Getting back to the point, here is the video.
Please take a look.

Overwatch running with low bandwidth PCIe in Crossfire. - YouTube

Please note I forgot to turn off the FPS Limit based on Display in this one and I was running with DisplayPort, Freesync on (44-75 freesync range).
Turning the Freesync off and setting the FPS Limit to 300 and restarting the game made very little difference on the same map.
Since this is already uploaded, and I just wanted to prove it works with no graphic corruption and runs without crashing.
Will look to see what the Crossfire Scaling is like next.

Bye.

0 Likes

Hi,

Just swapped OS from Windows 10 64bit to Windows 8.1 64 bit to run a 'low PCIe Bandwidth Crossfire test' rather than stay on Windows 10 and have to remove hardware. This test is quick for me.

I am currently running lots of Blender so my system set up is a bit 'unusual'.

I have R9FuryX (PCIe3.0x8) Primary, R9 Nano (PCIe3.0x8) Secondary.
My third Motherboard slot has PCIe2.0x4 bandwidth and it has an ASUS Thunderbolt EX2 card fitted.
One of the thundebolt outputs is connected to a thitn R9 Nano in an external thunderbolt 2.0 enclosure.
I also have a Sapphire HD 7970 OC 6GB  and Sapphire R9 280x OC 3GB connected via mining adapters over PCIe 2.0x1.

Just for laughs I have run DDU to remove Radeon Adrenalin 17.4.4 WHQL which is the last WHQL driver for Windows 8.1 64bit from AMD.
I installed the Windows 7 64bit version of Radeon Adrenalin 18.3.4.
I also went into my BIOS and I specifically set the Main PCIe slot speed on the two main PCIe_16 slots (they can run 1 card at PCIe3.0x16 or two at PCIe3.0x8) to
Gen 2.0 speeds.

Here is the Overview of the System.

pastedImage_0.png

Here I show that I have a secondary R9 Nano, Linked (meaning it is the secondary Crossfire Card), External (It is running on Thuinderbolt 2 enclosure), also highlighthing the PCIe2.0 speed of PCIe Express 2.0x4. 
pastedImage_1.png

Here I show the Primary Slot, Master (in Crossfire)  R9 Fury X information.
pastedImage_3.png
Here I show that AMD Crossfire is on, and that Card #1 (Primary) and #18 (The Thunderbolt 2.0 connected) R9 Nano over PCIe2.0x4 are in Crossfire. 
pastedImage_4.png

I had to move to Windows 8.1 64 bit in this case because it does not have AMD Xconnect.
In Windows 10  64 bit, as soon as it sees the Thunderbolt 2.0 connected R9 Nano, it assumes you are running on a laptop,  and disables Radeon ReLive and Crossfire.  I have asked for a fix to that but no joy.

I could have stayed on Windows 10 64 bit to do this Crossfire test but I would have had to open my PC Case, remove my Thunderbolt 2.0 cardfrom my PCIe2.0x4 slot, move my other R9 Nano from the secondary PCIe2/3.0x8 slot to the PCIe2.0x4 slot etc etc if that makes sense to you.

I already know I can run PCIe3/2.0x8, PCie3/2.0x8, PCIe2.0x4 in Crossfire but this is just a quick way to show that it can be set up on my system in PCIe2.0x8, PCIe2.0x4 without touching any hardware.

I have just installed Overwatch on this machine and I will see how/if it runs at all. 
Since the 18.3.4. Adrenalin Driver is not supported on this  Windows 8.1 64bit OS and I have my secondary R9 Nano connected via Thunderbolt 2.0 in an unsupported enclosure you would think my chances are nil. Let's see.

0 Likes

Hi tikwid

OK, I just tested the above.
Overwatch runs and does not crash at launch.
Crossfire Logo is shown.
No Flicker seen and image quality looks on par with previous ReLive Recordings. The FPS is lower at around 85 FPS in Crossfire in comparable scenes.
Lower PCIe Bandwidth does cut into performance so this is expected.

I could not get Radeon ReLive to record or the Radeon Overlay to show, but that happens sometimes with a standard Crossfire Setup and standard PCIe3.0x8 connections.

That usually sorts itself out by logging out of windows and logging back in.
If I cannot get Radeon ReLive to record it I will try running Plays.TV recorder and upload proof for you there.
If the above all works on R9 FuryX and R9 Nano in Crossfire with i7-4790K 32GB RAM on unsupported driver over thunderbolt 2.0 I would guess PCIe bandwidth is not the issue on your motherboard.

I will upload a video to show you evidence of what I am running as soon as I can.
Since this runs, I do not necessarily see the point in going back to Windows 10 64 and remove hardware to show PCIe2.0x16 and PCIe2.0x4 directly connected R9 Nano in Crossfire running. I predict all you will see is slightly higher FPS.

Bye.

0 Likes

Hi,

Final test to look at Crossfire Scaling with my Bandwidth limited case - Windows 8.1 64bit +R9 Fury X at stock Wattman settings on PCIe2.0x8 + R9 Nano at stock Wattman settings on PCIe2.0x4 over Thunderbolt adapter.

Again the tests are run at 1080p EPIC.

I took your advice to create a custom game, AI only on Anubis Map. I did not run ReLive Recorder and the Performance Overlay will not run, I just looked at the FPS reported by the in game performance overlay.

Crossfire on versus Crossfire off in this case looks to be ~ 1:1. It is not negative scaling but it is honestly so close and given variablilty of AI and my own actions in game I would not call it higher than that.

There is definitely around 100% activity on both cards based on Wattman report and GPU temps.

Note the Thunderbolt Enclosure  I use does itself incur about 5% overhead versus direct connection to PCIe2.0x4 slot based on previous 3D Mark Firestrike Testing I have completed. 
Even so it is too close to call and I would have to physically swap the hardware around to test that.

Both Crossfire on and Crossfire off run at around 80-100 FPS in the above test.

Leaving the Primary R9 Fury X card at stock Wattman Settings:

If I increase the R9 Nano GPU Clock by +5%, and increase the Power Target, Fan Target, Temp Target on the R9 Nano to maximum, then the FPS on the Crossfire combination does seem to increase in performance by around 3-4 FPS with Crossfire on. Again though, very little benefit in Overwatch in this case.

I have already seen that running an R9 Fury X on PCIe3.0x8 + an R9 Nano on PCIe3.0x8 at stock Wattman settings scales to ~ 1.7 with Crossfire on.

So in summary I think you need to change your CPU to at least i7-4790K performance and get a motherboard with higher PCIe bandwidth.
I think your crashing /locking  issue with Crossfire on is likely a CPU temp or high CPU utilization problem.
I think your negative scaling is the PCIe bandwidth on your motherboard secondary slot is too low to run Overwatch in Crossfire and get positive scaling.  
The VRAM used in this game, even on EPIC is not much at 1080p, well below the 4GB HBM Capacity.

I think that is all I can investigate using my cards for today, apart from a quick look at how Crossfire scales with an older game, such as the Crysis Series or others with this low PCIe bandwidth setup.

I just looked at Crysis 1 - it runs at 120FPS Crossfire on or off at Very High 1080p, and maxed out x8 AA, so again in that case for me Crossfire is not showing any benefit with this low PCIe bandwidth setup, 1:1 scaling again.

Just out of interest could you please point me to the data sheet / specification for the RX480 8GB and the RX 580 8GB cards you are running please?
If you cannot include an HTML link pointing to the card then please just cut and pase the text info.
You mentioned your RX 480 8GB is factory overclocked.
It would be good to know how different the stock frequencies are on both of your cards.

Thanks.

0 Likes

I just looked at a couple more things.

1. I tested to see if deliberately reducing the performance of my i7-4790K by turning off hyperthreading and then subsequently reducing from 4 to 3 to 2 cores would cause some sort of lock up at Overwatch game launch with Crossfire enabled in the low bandwidth PCIe 2.0x8+PCIe2.0x4 set up. I monitored the CPU Utilization in Task manager and took screenshots if you want them. I will not post them here. They simply show the CPU % Utilization I see as my CPU looses resources, the CPU utilization increases. Overwatch FPS performance in Crossfire starts to drop a little with only 3 cores. When I have only 2 cores active, the CPU Utilization sits at around 100% during game loading and running in Crossfire and the FPS drops to 30 FPS in Crossfire. It does take a long time for the game to load with only 2 cores running and I did think the game had hung my system, however it did actually run.

I am running with a Corsair H100i CPU  Watercooler. The Cooling fans are running at Max Performance all the time, so maybe if I reduced the cooling I might get the CPU to lock up.

2. I had a quick look at 3D Mark Firestrike benchmark to see what it  thinks the benefit or otherwise of running Crossfire on or off on this low bandwidth PCIe2.0x8+PCIe2.0x4  setup.

Here is a screenshot of the comparison. Crossfire on on the left versus Crossfire off on the right - I know it says the RHS GPU is an HD7970 OC 6GB card running - it is not - I have so many GPU connected that 3D Mark gets confused. It is the Sapphire Fury X running for sure.

pastedImage_0.png

So according to 3DMark Firestrike, turning Crossfire on is a benefit ... even on this low bandwidth PCIe system. Note however the minimal difference in the Combined test, which may be a close reflection of Overwatch behavior if it runs lots of physics during gameplay. 

I also looked at the effect of running the PCIe2.0x4 thunderbolt connected R9 Nano at max power, temp, fan, targets and with a 5% GPU CLK overclock (1050MHz) with Crossfire On. 

3D Mark Firestrike does indicate a slightly improved performance.

pastedImage_1.png

I think the above Firestrike results are in line with what I would expect to see.

Bye.

0 Likes

Hi

I looked at 4K performance, Epic Settings with these low PCIe 2.0x8, PCIe2.0x4.

Sapphire R9 Fury X at stock Wattman Settings.

R9 Nano at +5% GPU Clk OC and max Power, fan and temp targets.

Crossfire on.

Primary Sapphire Fury X.   Secondary R9 Nano.                                       FPS@4K.
PCIe 2.0x8                           PCIe 2.0x8                                                     90.

PCIe 2.0x8                           PCIe 2.0x4 over thunderbolt.                         45.

Crossfire off, just running the Sapphire R9 Fury X at stock, PCIe2.0x8 ~ 70 FPS. 

So at 4K, switching from PCIe2.0x4 over thunderbolt to PCIe 2.0x8 in Crossfire shows a significant performance improvement.

If I get time later I might change my hardware around to remove the thunderbolt card just run an R9 Nano directly in the PCIe2.0x4 slot so I remove the bandwidth limitation of the Thunderbolt enclosure itself.

Bye.

0 Likes

Hi,

I looked at the card specs and I have looked at a number of reviews and articles about the RX580 at launch and some more recent videos and articles.

Seems to me that the story about the RX580 GPU is the same design as the RX480 GPU but on a more 'refined' process - so maybe they can be binned out into slightly faster speed bins for the same power consumption versus the RX 480 chips from ~ 2 years ago.
On top of that the Power States for the RX580's have been modified in VBIOS so the RX580 can burn more power and run at higher frequencies  in an attempt to achieve higher FPS.

In addition it seems to me that the RX580's were almost all shipped as AIB cards, factory overclocked with large dual fan coolers, some using vapor chambers.
Many reviews I looked at today were comparing new RX580 AIB factory overclocked cards to RX480 reference cards with reference blowers running older AMD drivers. The Radeon Drivers have definitely improved in performance. I saw ~ 5% performance improvement in 3DMark Firestrike over a one year period for my R9 Nanos for example, going from early Radeon Crimson ReLive to an Adrenalin Driver.

There are a few reviews I watched which compare a factory overclocked RX480 to a factory overclocked RX580 using same style of cooler from same manufacturer and drivers from the same time period.

In those cases the performance difference was around 5%, some slightly over, some slightly under, but with the RX580 burning more power in all cases.

Regarding Base Clock and Boost Clock figures and differences and what that means.

Looking into that it seems that the base clock is the lowest clock frequency the GPU clock will dip down to during some GPU 3D stress testing benchmarks.
It does not seem to be clearly defined what those benchmarks are.

However some benchmarking articles do test to see if the GPU under test does actually honor the specified Base Clock.
For example, run ten loops of Metro last light benchmark at 2K on very high settings, monitor  how low and high the GPU clock frequency goes.
The low should be slightly higher than the Specified Base Clock, the highest should be at the Boost Clock.

Obviously, overall the average GPU clock is most important for overall performance.

As far as I can tell, looking at the default Wattman Profiles for RX480s and RX580s it looks to be slightly lower than the frequency defined in  Power State 4 for the reference RX 480's I looked at and slightly over the frequency defined in Power State 4 for the AIB overclocked RX580 's I looked at.

The Boost Clock is Power State 7 frequency value.

It seems that AIB RX480's can be overclocked by larger frequency delta than RX580's based on what I read so far. 

The RX 580 AIB cards only seem to mention the Boost Clock, not the Base Clock. Looking at RX580 Default Wattman Info , Power State 4 (~ "Base Clock") seems to be set ~= RX580 Reference Card value specified by AMD.

I see no reason why these cards should not run well together in Crossfire, provided the PSU and motherboard PCIe Bandwidth is sufficient.

Regarding your specific cards.

MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR MK2 8G OC

Custom dual fan AIB Cooler.

Core/Memory

• Boost Clock / Memory Frequency
    1380 MHz / 8000 MHz (OC Mode)
    1366 MHz / 8000 MHz (Gaming Mode)
    1340 MHz / 8000 MHz (Silent Mode)
  • 8GB GDDR5

(I do not know how you set the different modes, perhaps 3 bios settings or just predefined OC profiles you load into AMD Crimson or in MSI Afterburner?
    I will take a look.)

Single 8 pin power connector.

XFX RX-480M8BBA6

Custom Blower Fan AIB Cooler. Factory Overclocked.

Product Description : Radeon™ RX 480 tuned by XFX Custom Backplate Black Edition1328MHz 8GB GDDR5 HDMI 3xDP

Core/Memory

• Boost Clock / Memory Frequency
    1328 MHz / 8000 MHz
  • 8GB GDDR5

Single 6 pin power connector.

It would be good to get default Wattman Frequency and Voltage Values for each card just to compare the Power State and Voltage values for these cards.
Specifically the Power State 4 and 7 values.

However.

The largest Boost Clock delta on your cards is only 1380 MHz - 1328 MHz = 50Mhz which seems like ~ nothing to me.

I see no reason at all why these cards should not be crossfired and work provided the PSU and  Motherboard PCIe bandwidth is O.K.

You are running the latest Adrenalin Driver and latest update of Windowsbut  I am on an older version of Windows 10 64 and running Adrenalin 18.3.4.
Maybe there is a specific problem with Overwatch and the latest AMD Driver on latest build of Windows 10.

I need to keep my main Windows 10 OS on the current build I am using. I will see if I can update a backup copy of Windows 10 to the latest version and try out the Adrenalin 18.4.1 driver with it on my R9 FuryX & Nano Cards.

If you do not use your RX480 and 580 for Etherium mining, you might be better to sell them both while you can get a good price, and purchase a Zotac GTX1080TI Mini (it has ~ same performance as 1080Ti Reference card) or an RX Vega 56 to run from your Primary PCIe2.0x16 slot.

Looking at the following information:

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-580/3918vs3923 
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-vs-AMD-RX-580/3603vs3923
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-Vega-56-vs-AMD-RX-580/3938vs3923

You would get almost double performance with the 1080Ti in some cases, which is much better than you would get even with perfect Crossfire Scaling on a pair of RX580's with dual PCIe 2.0x16 slots.

I put the GTX1080 and Vega 56 in as well as they both cost ~ the same here.

Bye.

0 Likes

Hi.

I also forgot to mention, Just in case this matters w.r.t. Crossfire Crashing at launch.

1. My Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit has Microsoft Game Bar and recorder etc disabled, although enabling it did not cause any Crossfire Crashes in Overwatch.

2. Windows 10 Pro 64 is run with all privacy settings set to "maximum privacy".
3. Send data back to Microsoft is set to the lowest "basic" settings.

4. You might want to try running your RX580 in "Silent Mode" in Crossfire to see if that makes a difference to the Crashing Behavior at launch.
5. You might want to turn on FRTC and set the Frame Rate to ~ the value you see in Overwatch when you run it from the Primary RX580 with Crossfire off, before you launch Overwatch with Crossfire on. If it launches without Crashing then This might indicate CPU is struggling to cope.

6. In the past, Frame Pacing on + Frame Rate Target Control on used to cause crashing with Crossfire Enabled. It was fixed, but you might have a problem with just Frame Pacing on + Crossfire.
7. See if ensuring enhanced sync is off helps with Crossfire Crashing. 

Bye.

0 Likes

Hi.

I updated and old backup copy of Windows 10 64 bit from 17.03 with AMD Crimson ReLive 17.11.4 Driver today.
I uninstalled the 17.11.4 Driver first in Control Panel - Programs -> Uninstall.
I rebooted the PC and checked Device Manager was showing that Microsoft Basic Display Adapter was used for all GPU's.
I then ran Windows Update. letting windows upgrade everything including drivers to the very latest versions available today.
The Windows Update first upgraded from 17.03 to 17.09.
The Update to 17.09 went smoothly with no problems at all.
I checked the checked Device Manager after update to see what the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter was showing for as the Driver for all GPU's.
Microsoft Update had installed the following Driver version for the R9 Fury, R9 Nano, R9 280x and HD7970 connected to the PC: AMD Adrenalin 18.1.1 Driver.
The AMD Adrenalin 18.1.1 Software Interface (AMD Settings) is not installed.
I ran PC disk and systems checks.
I then attempted a Windows Update again, this time it tried to update to Windows 10 version 18.03.
First update got to near 100%, (correction 86%). Screen went blank, PC rebooted, and immediately rolled back to 17.09.
I thought it might be something to do with the AMD 18.1.1 Driver that had been installed automatically  by Microsoft in 17.09  - since 18.1.1 was automatically installed yet I need:

Article Number:
RN-WIN-RADEONADRENALIN-18.4.1

Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.4.1 Highlights

Support For

• Initial support for Windows®10 April 2018 Update

So once my PC was restored to 17.09 version of Windows 10 64 bit with the Amd Adrenalin 18.1.1 driver installed I reran PC and System Checks and I then rebooted into Windows 10 64bit 17.09 in Safe mode, ran the very latest version of DDU, removed AMD and Nvidia Driver Traces without reboot (note the latest version of DDU reported that it would prevent Windows Update from automatically installing the Video Drivers.
I then Rebooted my machine into Windows 10 64bit 17.09 in Normal Mode.
I checked Device Manager was showing that Microsoft Basic Display Adapter was used for all GPU's.
Then when I rerun the Windows update check it shows that windows wants to automatically install Windows®10 April 2018 Update (18.04) AND also it wants to install AMD MEDIA , Drivers for AMD Fury Series Cards, Drivers for AMD HD7970, Drivers for AMD R9 200 Series as shown below:

pastedImage_0.png
pastedImage_1.png

Since I do not want Windows to automatically update my Video Drivers (I think it will update to AMD Adrenalin 18.1.1, which does not support Windows 10 64bit 18.03 ... I tried to disable the Video Driver update by using Control Panel -> Advanced Settings ->  Hardware -> Device Installation Settings menu option to no.
(I will add picture later).

Unfortunately this seemed to prevent Windows Update to 18.03 from starting at all ...

I ran Windows Update Troubleshooter, it said it found and fixed problems.

I then rebooted the PC into Windows 10 64bit 17.09 version again, reset Device Installation Settings menu option to yes. Reran disk and system checks, reran Windows Update. It showed the same updates were needed as in the above pictures.
I ran the Update.
Same story. Got to near 100%,(correction - 86%)  screen went blank, PC rebooted, rolled back to 17.09.

I need to look into windows logs to see if I can find out why it is rolling back to 17.09 exactly or if there is another way I can prevent Windows from wanting to install the display drivers automatically. Maybe I should have set using Control Panel -> Advanced Settings ->  Hardware -> Device Installation Settings menu option to no first, then checked for update ...

I will try that, and if I actually manage to update to 18.03 I will then try Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.4.1 with Overwatch.

I need to find this upgrade path for my main Windows 10 64bit 17.09 installation anyhow.

Looking on the positive side of things, it does seem that Microsoft and or  AMD have at least worked together to update the Microsoft installed AMD Driver with 17.09 to Adrenalin 18.1.1 rather than an old version of Crimson ReLive which I saw previously (17.7.1 I think) , although they are not installing the AMD Settings Program.

Bye.

0 Likes

If you have Windows 10 Pro you can disable Windows Driver Update via Group Policy. That was the only way to do it on my computer. I believe you can download the program to install Group Policy on Windows 10 Home edition that doesn't have that function.

Sounds like you have a software or hardware connected that is not compatible with Windows 1803. I would disconnect all your GPUs and just leave one GPU on your motherboard and then try to upgrade again. I usually use Media Creation Tool to download a Windows ISO file and then extract it to a external Hard drive or USB. Then I use that to upgrade my Windows.

Sounds like Windows 10 1803 downloads and installs but when it get to the final part of configuring (settings) the new Version on your computer, it sees something wrong or can't configure a certain setting and causes an error which causes Windows to stop the upgrade and revert back to the original working version. The reason I mention this is because you said it almost reaches the 100% point of installation. Could be a 1803 version Windows update is not compatible with something in your computer causing it to revert to the original Windows. Just throwing out some ideas.

When I first tried to upgrade WIndows 1709 to version 1803, during the original starting of the installation it stopped and said I had a JMicron Storage Controller Driver that was incompatible with Windows 10 version 1803. The installation stopped and wouldn't go any further until I uninstalled the offending driver.  I uninstalled that particular driver from Device Manager and it installed a much older version of the driver but it allowed me to upgrade to Windows version 1803. Afterwards, I updated the driver to the original date I had before the upgrade.

Hi,

First of all thanks for responding, and for your suggestions. 
I just logged in to give an update of what I have found so far.

RE: Group Polocy:
I will look at disable Windows Driver Update via Group Policy. Thanks. I had not tried that yet.

RE: Sounds like you have a software or hardware connected that is not compatible with Windows 1803. I would disconnect all your GPUs and just leave one GPU on your motherboard and then try to upgrade again.

I shouldn't really have to tear my machine apart to do a Windows Update.
I had considered that. I was going to remove all GPU's if nothing else works.
I can run the display from the iGPU on the i7-4790K if I have to.

There are 4 GPU connected in total, and one sitting in an unauthorised Thunderbolt enclosure (I.e. it is not seen by Windows) 
I did not have to disconnect them for Windows 17.03- 17.09 Upgrade or any previous AMD Driver Installation that I have completed.

I suspect that Windows 10 64bit 18.03 is trying to install an incompatible AMD driver (18.1.1 or maybe earlier? ), however it could be anything.
Maybe having the thunderbolt box plugged in (even though it is not authorised and the GPU is not reported in Windows).
Windows 17.03-> Windows 17.09 Update worked fine without any issues at all on the same machine though, wthe exactly the same things connected, just before I tried going from  17.09 - 18.03. No hardware changes have been made at all.
It seems strange that two upgrades in sequence on the same hardware should suddenly find a problem.

RE: I usually use Media Creation Tool to download a Windows ISO file and then extract it to a external Hard drive or USB. Then I use that to upgrade my Windows.

I do that sometimes as with previous Update attempts , but usually it makes no difference if I do that or just upgrade online. I will bear it in mind for this one. Thanks.

RE: Sounds like Windows 10 1803 downloads and installs but when it get to the final ...

In Windows 10 64bit 17.09 Setting: 
Control Panel -> Advanced Settings ->  Hardware -> Device Installation Settings menu option to no. Running DDU in safe mode, rebooting.
Checking again Control Panel -> Advanced Settings ->  Hardware -> Device Installation Settings menu option to no. Checking Microsoft Basic Display Adapters are there, then running Check For Updates, it shows that Windows 10 64bit 17.09 wants to install 18.03 Update and still wants to install AMD Drivers for the GPU's.
The Update fails again at 86% - thats what I meant by "nearly 100%" - I didn't know the exact number until, as I kept on missing it failing.  I will change the "nearly 100%" in my previous posts. I was unable to edit them last night, sorry.

(Update - I corrected the previous posts from nearly 100% to 86%).

I retried multiple times last night and just sat there watching it fail at 86%, screen goes black, no warning about restating at all - which makes me suspect it is something to do with Video Driver incompatibility., machine reboots and say attempting to restore previous installation. 

So Control Panel -> Advanced Settings ->  Hardware -> Device Installation Settings menu option to no. No longer works to prevent Microsoft Update installing AMD Drivers.

RE: When I first tried to upgrade WIndows 1709 to version 1803, ...

The only error message I see is in Windows Update information  when I restart the restored version of  Windows 10 64 bit 17.09
It says the update could not be completed. It gives Error Code 0xc1900101.
This code means a Rollback to previous installation due to driver incompatibility error.
See here: Windows 10 1803 update fails with message 0xc1900101. - Microsoft Community

Anyhow, thanks again for your suggestions. I will hopefully find a solution that works before the end of today.

Bye.

0 Likes

Hi,

I downloaded and installed AMD Adrenalin 18.4.1 on the recovered, tested, clean installation of Windows 10 64 bit version 17.09.

I then attempted windows update. Same hardware setup, thunderbolt enclosure with GPU connected, Thunderbolt enclosure not active.

This time Windows Update only wants to install the Windows 10 64 bit 18.03 Update.
I tried to install the update.
Rollback at 86%.
Update failed.
Same error message.

Repeated, this time removing the Thunderbolt lead from the port on the rear of the PC.
Same result.

Rollback at 86%.

I will leave Thunderbolt disconnected, run DDU to uninstall Adrenalin 18.4.1, and try installation  again using remaining methods.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

Tried group polocy to disable Driver updates.

No luck.

Black screen at 86%, rollback to Windows 10 64bit 17.09.

This is interesting since ... no Drivers should be updated ... in theory ... using this policy, although I see different opinions in some articles.
If it is drivers/hardware issue ... I do not want to tear this machine down to investigate it further and my next options are to remove the thunderbolt card, remove the PCIe2.0_1 connected GPU's, remove the secondary and primary R9 Fury X / R9 Nano, then start removing the rest of the machine components including internal usb hubs ... until Windows 10 64bit 18.03 update runs ... if it even will.

I am going to leave the Windows 10 64bit backup OS on this machine at 17.09, put it on the deferred update Cycle,  and prevent updates to 18.03 now. Enough is enough.

One of my other machines is in maintenance and half rebuilt so it is easier for me to look at that one.

It is currently running a GTX780Ti Primary and an R9 Nano secondary, with similar processor and motherboard.

I will continue to investigate why Windows 10 Upgrade is not working on that machine. as it will be very easy for me to remove the GPU's on that machine and it only has CPU watercooler, RAM, 2 GPU and motherboard and 1 HDD connected at the moment. If this doesn't upgrade, none of my other machines will.

Bye.

0 Likes

Looks like Windows version 1803 has made so many internal changes to the core files that it seems to be much more stricter as far as compatibility goes.

This can be a very tedious and time consuming way of troubleshooting the one computer. But start removing one extra hardware component at a time and try to upgrade each time. This way when it does upgrade you will know what to disconnect in the future when upgrading Windows. Since Windows will probably continue to be more incompatible with older hardware during each upgrade.

I find it surprising that Group Policy didn't prevent Windows from updating Drivers. That is like Windows Global Settings. The majority of people don't have more than two GPUs connected unless it was a mining rig. The mining rig is easy to disconnect all the extra GPUs simply by removing the cables to the Risers. Under Windows Update, I have an error message telling me "Some Settings are managed by your Organization" . This is because I have Windows Update of Drivers disabled under Group Policies.

Have you tried a Clean install of WIndows or are you doing a ingrade update. If you tried both than there is something wrong with your Windows setup. This may be a hassle but try to clean install Windows 1709 without adding anything and then try to install version 1803. Even if it says several components need drivers installed. As long as the main Monitor is working I would install Version 1803. There shouldn't be any reason for it not to install. (Be sure to make a System Backup first).

Once when I couldn't restore a System Backup due different Windows versions. I needed to do a clean install of the older version of Windows which was the same as my Windows backup version and then restore the System Backup to my original Windows.

Hi,

Thanks again for considering this one.

RE: Looks like Windows version 1803 has made so many internal changes to the core files that it seems to be much more stricter as far as compatibility goes.

> More likely they have not tested it and use consumers or, I think the term used these days is "the heard" (the observed herd),  as guinea pigs. That is what is happening. It's called "testing in the field".  We do the bug checking and reporting. Since with Windows 10 Pro 64bit the privacy settings are a joke, and you cannot go lower than basic telemetry (which sends rather a large amount of data to who knows where), they get lots of testing data for free.  We of course got Windows 10 Pro as a free upgrade from software we paid for. Except it is an upgrade I do not want. I do not use this OS if possible. I was reasonably happy with Windows 8.1 & Classic Start Menu Software before they dropped it and Windows 10 telemetry patches were stuck in it and the Windows Updates got really bad.  I even prefer the Windows 8.1 Tablet User Interface. I still use Windows 7 64bit. It was the bast OS they ever produced.

RE: Removing hardware one at a time... Yes sure I could do that but this is one of my main PC and I am using it heavily for Blender and other compute at the moment. This is not a mining rig, but I normally run with 5 GPU on this PC.

RE: Easy to disconnect ... not really that easy.  I would have to pull all of the cards and the mining adapters out of the PCIe slots.  My primary card is now an R9 Fury X so I would have to remove the AIO Cooler Radiator etc.  I also have multiple HDDs to disconnect, etc etc. There is lots of equipment in this PC, it is only a Corsair OBSIDIAN 650D case. In my situation I have other PC to work on that I was cleaning and rebuilding anyway.  I am trying a Windows 10 64bit 17.09-18.03 update a very similar PC that I was working on anyhow right now.

RE: I find it surprising that Group Policy didn't prevent Windows from updating Drivers...
I am not sure if it did or if it did not work. I had 2 attempts at running the update with the Group Update Policy Set.
I used PowerShell to generate user readable Windows Update logs to see if it told me anything useful about why the updates failed. No use.

Attempt 1. Windows Update had already started. It is not really that easy to stop it ones it starts. It had already said Update to 18.03 + AMD Drivers. Failed and rollback at 86%.

Attempt 2. After the Rollback I made sure the Group Policy was set, I checked the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter was set. I then ran Windows update check. This time it reported that it was only going to update to 18.03. I thought it might work. Same story. Failed at 86% and rolled back..

I will go back and double check what the error code was on Attempt 2 and note what it says. If it gives the same error code (which was driver related) then that would indicate to me that the Group Policy has no effect during the 17.09-> 18.03 Update at least.

RE: Have you tried a Clean install of Windows

No I have not done a fresh install. I ran system Checks on the Windows Installation to check the disk, check the systems files, verified the Windows 10 64 bit 17.09 installation using DISM (Deployment Image and Service Management) tools to check the Windows installation versus a Microsoft Image and check the component store etc. All came out clean. I then created a restore point this was my starting point for the 18.03 update. There should be no reason that the upgrade does not work.

RE: Once when I couldn't restore a System Backup due different Windows versions.

Yes sure I have had to do a clean install of Windows 7 and then restore my system image in the past ... The problem about "System Image Rollback" is it does not always work in Windows 7, 8.1 or 10. I certainly know of cases where a Windows Update fails and the rollback also fails and they have a bricked OS.

Anyhow thanks again for your input, I appreciate your suggestions and comments.

I will see what happens on this other machine that I am trying to upgrade Windows 10 64bit 17.09 to 18.03 on right now.
I have not disabled any driver updates. It is Windows 10 64bit 17.09 with latest AMD and Nvidia drivers, system checked.
It is as barebones as it gets, apart from I have a Primary Nvidia GTX780Ti and a Secondary R9 Nano.
If this one fails I will remove the AMD drivers and card, and try again.
If that also fails I will remove the Nvidia card.

If that then fails I do not know what is left to remove. It is just Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and Watercooler & power supply. Nothing else.
That would indicate the Motherbaord (Z87) and the CPU (i7-4770K) are not supported or have problems with this update.
OK they are old CPU and Motherboard, but I think Intel produced very little in way of improvement for years until AMD Ryzen/Threadripper/EPYC were released, I see no point in upgrading to new hardware unless the performance improvement is compelling and needed.

Bye.

I bet in version 1709 Windows Update for drivers is disabled. I believe what is happening is when version 1803 starts installing, it automatically tries to install all Windows native drivers for hardware that is connected. There is no way to stop that if that is what is happening. I know at the beginning of the installation of a new Windows upgrade it asks whether you want to download updates. But I have a feeling even if you left that unclicked, the installation will still try and download or install Windows native drivers missing for any connected hardware.

I have seen mining rig motherboards and they have several connections to connect cables from Risers where GPU are attached instead of PCIe slots. They do have PCIe slots but also a whole bunch of ports to connect cables to external Risers.

I don't believe there is need to disconnect any HDDs or Memory modules etc. Just the extra hardware that is not attached directly to the motherboard (Risers as an example). If your motherboard can accomodate 5 GPUs on PCIe slots on the board, Then you must have a special or Server type motherboard large enough to physically fit 5 GPUs.

My computer has 5 HDD installed, Internal Card Reader, Seven USB Hub connected via USB, 4 burners, HP printer, Several Case fans, large CPU cooler, and a component that adds extra USB ports and USB Headers. All my Motherboard's PCIe and PCI slots are filled with cards. I haven't had any problems updating except when I had a bad RAM Memory module or the last time when I had a driver that Windows Installation said I needed to remove before the installation could continue. I just mentioned my computer specs to let you know, at least in my case, you don't have to remove any components directly connected to your motherboard and Windows should upgrade without problems.

Before upgrading, Device Manager was showing all drivers installed and working correctly.

There is definitely some Hardware whose driver seems to be in conflict with the new version. It is baffling why it always stops at the exact spot during the installation. Microsoft should add specific error messages when a WIndows upgrade fails and reverts. This will at least allow the User to know why the installation failed.

0 Likes

Hi,

RE:  Then you must have a special or Server type motherboard large enough to physically fit 5 GPUs.

No, I have PCIe2.0_1 (mining adapter) , PCIe_16 (GPU1) , PCIe2.0_1 (blocked by GPU1) , PCIe2.0_1 (mining adapter) , PCIe_16(GPU2) , PCIe2.0_1 (blocked by GPU2) , PCIe_16 (For Thunderbolt 2.0 card or GPU3). Standard single slot spacing.

I run cables from the mining adapters and connect to 2 GPU's at the side of the PC case. I usually connect the 3rd GPU in external Thunderbolt 2.0 enclosure which sits the other side of the PC. So I have 2 GPU inside the PC, and 3 GPU outside. GPU1 = Sapphire R9 Fury X (2 slots high) , GPU 2 and GPU3 are R9 Nanos (2 slots high) . Right now the GPUs connected externally are my HD7970 OC 6GB and R9 280x 3GB. I can swap them out for any other AMD or Nvidia GPU I own of course. If two of the PCIe ports that are blocked were not, I would have a mining card and a GPU on them.

This is why 2 slot high GPU is a requirement for me and one reason why I have not purchased any Vega 56/64 card. If I purchase > 2slot high card, it costs PCIe2.0_1 slot or PCIe_16 slot therefore Two AIB Vega 64 would need to beat 4 R9 Nano performance.

Some good news.

The Windows 18.03 Update just completed on the "barebones PC" with an Nvidia GTX780Ti in the Primary Slot and an R9 Nano in the Secondary Slot.
Nothing was done to prevent the driver installation.

The Nvidia card is running the latest version of Nvidia GeForce experience and drivers - I did not uninstall them.

The R9 Nano I fitted this morning and the AMD driver was installed by Microsoft Update during an initial Windows 17.09 Update.
I then ran same system checks as on the first PC where the Windows update would not complete.

I have just installed AMD Adrenalin 18.4.1 and it appears to be working o.k. so far on a single R9 Nano.

I will now remove the Nvidia card, remove all drivers using DDU, install a pair of R9 Nanos, reinstall the AMD Adrenalin 18.41 Driver, Install fresh copy of Overwatch and then, test if Crossfire works.

Bye.

0 Likes

great, Sound like it might be one of the external GPUs connected to your motherboard is preventing the upgrade.

at least it is a start. You can use that computer as reference to troubleshoot the one that can't be updated.

0 Likes

Hi,

Today I tried many attempts on the machine with R9 Fury X primary, R9 Nano secondary, R9 280x and HD7970 OC 6GB on mining adapters to upgrade from 17.09 to 18.03.

I left the R9 Nano eGPU in Thunderbolt box disconnected for every test.

Please note - Before I tried every upgrade I ran DDU driver uninstall in safe mode and system checks before upgrade. I allowed Windows Update to install whatever driver it wanted to.

I checked the error reported as a result of the Update attempt with Group Policy Set.
This time the error code reported was not driver related, but related to "system instability".
Next Windows Update Check reported that Group Policy preventing driver updates had been set.
There should be no system instability however I decided to see what happened if I reset my CMOS RESET the recently flashed Motherboard BIOS anyhow.

I tried...

(1). CMOS Reset of the BIOS, upgrade with all GPU connected. This time for whatever reason, the display drivers installed first before the Windows 18.03 update.
Microsoft Display Driver installed a full version of a very early release (15.11) of AMD Crimson (not ReLive!). In this case the AMD Settings were installed as well, not just the driver. The machine bluescreened. I rebooted the machine and again Windows 18.03 Update simply failed.

(2). I replaced the HD7970 and R9 280x cards in the mining adapters with a pair of R9 Nanos.  So the System was then R9 Fury X (Primary), R9 Nano (Secondary) , R9 Nano (mining adapter 1) , R9 Nano (mining adapter 2).  I did this to see if it was the cards or the mining adapter causing the problem. This time, Microsoft Update installed AMD Crimson ReLive 17.1.1 driver first, The machine rebooted. I then tried update from 17.09 -> 18.03. It failed to update. However I think that the bluescreen crash messed up the 17.09 installation. I am now trying a manual System Restore to an earlier version of the 17.09 OS before the bluescreen happened.

Based on what I have seen with the upgrade attempts on the two machines ...

It looks like the Windows 10 17.09-18.03 update is looking at which GPU family is connected to the PC and is deciding on the following.

HD7900 Series - Install AMD Crimson 15.11.

R9 Fury X - Install AMD Crimson ReLive 17.1.1
R9 Nano - Install AMD Adrenalin 18.1.1

This seems completly wrong to me. They should all be installing AMD Adrenalin 18.4.1 because that is the first driver with initial support for 18.03!

Once the System Restore of a cleaner version of 17.09 completes, I will retry update with the mining adapters connected but no GPU connected.
If that fails I will  remove the mining adapter at the usb cable end.

If that fails I will remove the secondary R9 Nano. leaving the Primary R9 Fury X.

If that fails I will likely wait for a later "18.03 Update".

In short though, 17.03-> 17.09 Update worked with R9 Fury X Primary, R9 Nano Secondary, HD7970 mining adapter 1, R9 280x Mining adapter 2 and R9 Nano in e3GPU thunderbolt adapter connected by thunderbolt but not activated at boot. It installed AMD Adrenalin 18.1.1. which is more recent than any of the above.

17.09->18.03 Update looks like something is broken w.r.t. GPU Driver selection for AMD Cards.

Bye.

0 Likes

The system restore failed.

Currently on the machine I initially gave up on, which has been stripped down to a Primary R9 Fury X, a secondary R9 Nano, and a pair of empty mining adapters with no ThunderboIt 2.0 eGPU connected.

Now I have a Borked Windows 10 64bit 17.09 installtion.

Windows 10 64bit now seems to think that it needs a restart to complete installation of 18.03.

pastedImage_0.png

However there is no update and restart option available and every time I run Windows update the situation is the same.

Any ideas to fix this one greatly appreciated.

I am pretty tired out with this upgrade / debug attempt at the moment and it has cost me too much time already.

Bye.

0 Likes

Hi, me again ... sorry.

RE Group Policy Edit.

Just in case it helps anyone else going through Update from Windows 10 64bit version 17.09 to 18.03 hell.
Also to double check if this is what you meant ...

I used gpedeit.msc at the Windows Command Prompt.

I set it like this:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

Left this at default (setting it to no it doesnt prevent AMD Driver updates with Windows Update any more in Windows 10 64bit Pro 17.09 anyhow ... )

pastedImage_4.png
No AMD specific Drivers afer DDU run was run  Safe mode:

See this reported in later Windows Update Attempt:

pastedImage_6.png

Looking at the details ...

pastedImage_8.png

Is this what you expect to see?
Seems to indicate it will not install the "Microsoft AMD driver".

Thanks.

0 Likes